RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/4199090-official-tamiya-tt-01-thread.html)

dj4monie 02-23-2013 03:54 AM

RE: Official Tamiya TT-01 Thread

ORIGINAL: dzinehaus

your comments are a bit backwards. You can order from hobbyking.com or towerhobbies and still pay lower than you think. Even buying overseas you can get it there very fast seeing as you are in california.

roar battery go check hobbyking.

im curious to hear what uppgrades you are planning. because the second i upgraded my tt-01 certain stock parts couldnt hold up.

enjoy the shotty steering on a stock build.

1) Tower has the car (which is likely where I will get it) Active Sports has it for a few dollars less but mixed reviews about the site.

2) Hobby King are out of most of the ROAR batteries in the US Warehouse (Washington State)

3) I have read two or three things online where people have raced the TT-01 in TCS or on carpet and none mentioned upgrading the steering and both used the previous generation TT-01, not the TT-01E. In fact Jang who runs Ultimate Tamiya and URC Forums suggested if you have the TT-01E you're already better off than the TT-01 he used. The main complain with the car was sloppy steering, which was generally fixed with the TT-01E.

I know some "slop" remains but still an improvement over where the original design was, besides...

I can't judge if I have never driven the thing.

Upgrades are tire inserts, mini cva shocks, 55/58 spur gear set, 24/25 pinion and alum drive shaft to get it over $75 to qualify for free shipping.

These are the parts recommended to me by experienced TCS racers. The shaft I didn't need its the stock motor, but like I said in order to get the price over $75 to qualify for free shipping, it was the only other thing I thought would be beneficial to the car.

Stock parts didn't hold up? Hold up to what? Crashing into things?

I will, but I generally don't run my car(s) in the streets anymore, too many chances in hitting something or the car flipping over on a non-scale rock. That said, my cul-de-sac is generally empty especially during the day and the surface is swept by a street cleaner.

In my previous post, I had mentioned putting a brushless in the car. I still may do that, but I don't think the TT-01E is competitive with anything more than 17.5T motor even upgraded to TT-01R Type E status, especially when my competition is belt-driven cars.

I plan on getting MUCH use out beyond TCS, its the perfect chassis for what I have set out to do with R/C this time around.

DriftingDragon 06-12-2013 06:17 PM

i have been recently tinkering with my tt01 and has anyone figured out how to fit a 36T pinion to the 61t spur (stock) i had 23T in it but it wasnt satisfying,

current setup is
ESC: Castle MMM
Motor: Castle 4600kv 2 pole
Spur: 61t(stock)
Pinion: 36T

main problem is i cant get the meshing right

on the 23T i was getting about 60km/h

i want to go faster(cheap as possible), anyone got ideas

56-jeephead 06-12-2013 06:50 PM

Sweet looking ride! Keep us posted.
Peace
-Z

56-jeephead 06-12-2013 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a free body from a friend. Actually an oval body but it looks cool on the TT with off-set wheels. Tried to dress her up with a fancy paint job.

deteknician 07-17-2013 08:46 AM

Hello everyone,<div></div><div>I just wanted to introduce myself and get help with my first order. My name is Krystian, I'm 32 and I live in NY. I don't know anything about RC and never owned a car but ever since I was 5 I wanted one. I have been doing a lot of reading and research + youtube vidoes over the past two weeks. Finally made up my mind and took the plunge. This is exactly what I ordered:</div><div></div><div>L1YHY6<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Tamiya 1/10 BMW M3 GT2 2009 TT-01E Kit</div><div>L1XUP0<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Duratrax Onyx NiMH 6C 7.2V 3000mAh Stick Standard Plug</div><div>L1TCJ9<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Duratrax Onyx 210 AC/DC Peak Charger w/LCD<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></div><div>L1WRP3<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Tactic TTX240 2-Channel SLT 2.4GHz Radio System<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></div><div>L1UK84<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Tower Hobbies TS-53 Standard Servo U<span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span></div><div></div><div>There is an RTR version of this car but I wanted to put it together myself so I can understand exactly how the chassis works and it's also more fun. Is this all I need to get this car running? For the Servo, do I need two of these? Am I missing anything? I have batteries for the radio. Does anyone know if the paint comes with the car Kit? Do Kits come with any tools? Basically I would like to know if I need to get anything to complete this car and get it rolling. I don't plan on racing or driving at max speeds or anything like that. Thanks!</div>

eyesoft_2002 07-17-2013 11:46 AM

The kit will not come with paint needed to paint the body. Usually kits come with some very basic tools such as a T-wrench that has various sizes of hex nut drivers, and maybe a tiny hex wrench or two. If you're getting into the hobby, I'd recommend getting a decent set of hex drivers at least (metric or imperial, depending on the kits' hardware).

deteknician 07-18-2013 07:38 AM

Gotcha, thanks!

templargfx 07-30-2013 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone!

here is my TT01 (well if you can still call it that) Only had it for a week :P

What I got :

Tamiya TT01E Lamborghini Countach LP500S kit
Yeah Racing TT01E v2.1 Full Aluminum Conversion Kit
3Racing Graphite Chassis Kit
TOPCAD CVD's x 2
Yeah Racing Screw Replacement Box

Putting them all together into a single working vehicle was one hell of a exercise in frustration!

I think considering I haven't painted a body in over 8 years, this came out really well. Probably one of the hardest bodies I have done too!

dzinehaus 07-30-2013 06:59 PM

very nice build... I would have opted for the Eagle Racing V3 low CG conversion kit as it is a roller for 123$ USD + shipping and then I would hae bought the body. Solid build none the less! GOOD JOB!

templargfx 07-30-2013 07:04 PM

THANKS!

To be honest, the chassis was not originally on the buy list, but when I found a guy in Australia that sold every other part I wanted, he had the 3Racing chassis too, so I thought "why not?" and there you have it :P

Im no expert on on-road cars as Ive been into off-road for a long time, but it is a dream to drive now! If my TT01D is any indication, the CG has lowered significantly by installing all this

dzinehaus 07-30-2013 07:10 PM

Hell yes. like I previously stated. Solid build. as a drift car I would have done a few modifications... I don't know if your intention is to circuit race this guy or circuit drift it. only real comments I would make would me to move your ESC to your top deck to give more breathing room to your servo and motor and maybe shield it (not necessary) and maybe clean up the solders on your connections. TT01s are still great lil vehicles for something that is over 10 years old!

templargfx 07-30-2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah I really need to completely re-wire it. The electronics came out of my Tamiya DB01 Durga, and the wires were specifically cut to snugly fit into that chassis (space is a serious issue on that chassis), as a result it doesn't really fit properly in here (you can see the motor wires are REALLY short)

unfortunately I dont have a soldering iron anymore so I made it go in :P

Im not attaching anything to the top deck as I am going to build a scale interior for the Countach shell to really make it pop! I think when I re-wire it I will mount the ESC on the servo (will that interfere) and the receiver right at the back under the boot lid. Ill have to see once I get them separated.

Any advice on a light system upgrade? I want one that will plug directly into the receiver for its power, rather than directly onto the battery. This came with the Tamiya standard light system with those god aweful tamiya plugs on it.

dzinehaus 07-30-2013 07:25 PM

the tamiya one is great... just cut the leads and switch it for a jst connector. or go with a GT Power light kit 2 or a Turnigy light kit from hobbyking.com
Those are all great solutions. I find the Tamiya ones are great minus the connector issue and the lack of control/effects on the lights. Hence why I go more for GT Power or Turnigy. I would go Yokomo for the light system but it costs too much for what it is. And I still have to remind myself even if I really love doing this stuff it still remains a toy and I need to treat it somewhat as one and save costs here and there.

templargfx 07-30-2013 07:27 PM

I hear you there. the amount of cash you spend can quickly sky rocket!

I will have a look at those two online and see how we go. So its ok to just put a new connector on it? I personally dont mind if I can control the lights or not. All on or All off is fine

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-T-POWER-12...-/170642829279

dzinehaus 07-30-2013 07:31 PM

yah you can cut the leads and replace them... electricity is electricity. As long as you have the right leads (ground to ground/live to live) then you are ok.
<br type="_moz" />

dzinehaus 07-30-2013 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: templargfx

Is this the one you are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-T-POWER-12...-/170642829279

This one is GT Power light kit model 1. It's perfectly fine. The light switching pattern is defined by a push button switch. I like model 2 as it gives you normal car looks of turn signals and such.

anything like this one is the one I personally prefer...http://www.ebay.com/itm/GT-Power-RC-...item2a22fe01e7but that's up to you ;)

Enjoy!<br type="_moz" />

templargfx 07-31-2013 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.topcad.com.hk/product_inf...roducts_id=392

I bought this for my TT01 and its pretty awesome. More forgiving than an actual one-way diff!

Hohnam 10-30-2013 05:23 AM

Hi guys, just got into building my first RC (tamiya tt-01d type E), was building a lot of Gunpla before. Just a quick question about the 2 mirror plates you have to put on the front and back bumper brackets, what are they for? Because I lost one and couldn't figure out what it's for and couldn't find it on google.

thanks

couchflyer 08-12-2014 01:10 PM

So nobody loves the TT-01 anymore?

Ta2edphreak 08-20-2014 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by couchflyer (Post 11859282)
So nobody loves the TT-01 anymore?

I just bought one, it will be here Friday, got the tt01e with the Nissan body and gaupner x-4s radio with a tower hobbies servo, it is coming with a tower hobbies charger and 1800mah battery, and I got a 2500mah battery as well. anything I need to know? I have never heard of gaupner before. or built a kit car either. any help would be appreciated.

ScarabChris 09-23-2014 11:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Guys,

New member but not new to RC cars, trucks boats, quads or helicopters. Boats really being my specialty. But a few years I got into both off road and on road cars. Now I am into building 1/10 scale touring cars. I'm really into the scale look and as many "bling" parts as possible.

I got this roller from Integy. I learned quickly it was a TT-01 or at least an Integy knock off of the TT-01.

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...ratesortby=New

I took the Castle ESC and motor from my HPI Sprint 2 Flux as it was shredding belts. This car is silly fast. Here is where I'm at. Though I went back to the HPI wheels and tires. The Vaterra tires (S compound) are just too soft. The performance from the HPI (D compound) 4790 tires seem to work best. Still trying to find nice wheels and tires that are wider than 26 mm. I don't drift, these are just to run on the street with neighbors and my son.

MD6 09-23-2014 12:05 PM

You want to consider getting a motor with less power. You still have plenty of speed and you won't have the tire problem,

ScarabChris 09-23-2014 12:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MD6 (Post 11886452)
You want to consider getting a motor with less power. You still have plenty of speed and you won't have the tire problem,

Naaa....what fun would it be if I pulled the trigger all the way and nothing bad happened. That's what the people on the boat forums said when I built this boat. This thing is so fast it's scary. Pushing the limits is most of the fun. Hell even fixing them after the crash is fun. However I don't have the problem in this car because it has no belts. I put a brushed system in the HPI and gave it to my son.

Sorry for posting boat pictures in the car forum. I just want show how crazy I am with building fast RC toys. This thing is nearly 60 " long and has been clocked at over 60 MPH and only 3/4 throttle. I was afraid to make it go faster. LOL

ScarabChris 10-07-2014 06:34 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Ok I think I am finally done with this car. I am super meticulous about how it looks and runs so the last thing I am waiting on is the matching blue wheel nuts. Also I wish there were full blue aluminum diff cases available this way I could get rid of all the black plastic.

I basically rebuilt the car after the last pics. I was getting some good speed runs in and it ended up in a 4" deep puddle. LOL. So I had to put in a new ESC and motor. This time I found a motor that matches the blue color instead of the green Castle motor. This motor is slightly slower but still way faster than it needs to be.

Yes... it is now a shelf queen. But I still run it, I just don't dog it. I have other cars and trucks for when I feel like bashing. I have way too much money in this thing to beat it up. Probably one of the most expensive TT-01's out there when you factor in all the parts I bought but ended up not using. LOL.

bashingozzy 02-13-2016 04:08 AM

anyone still running a TT01?