RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/8320349-official-hpi-sprint-2-thread-sport-flux.html)

aahwhatever2 01-05-2009 02:10 AM

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

I am starting this thread since it seems there are more and more people picking up or asking questions about the HPI Sport 2 and the flux.

I personally have the FLUX with an '66 Red Mustang body. I have only changed the Rx to Spectrum so far. I have ordered the USB adapter so that I can update the ESC with a few different custom settings that will work best for me on the track and for playing around the house too!

Just for Info: The ESC is made by Castle Creations and you can pick up the Castle USB Link from their website for around 25 + shipping.

I will post on here whenever I finally get some pictures and also to update on any changes or mods that I make.

PLEASE post pictures of YOUR ride here and list any mods that you have done. Also, it would be nice if you have any info that you would like to talk about, GOOD OR BAD. Please don't bash, especially if you don't OWN one!

Thank you all!

Welcome to the HPI Sprint Club!!!!

Jonathan

yahman1254 01-05-2009 06:35 PM

RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

i am going to get the sport. unless i get the tt01 in a trade... lets see!

Mufasa_719 01-06-2009 04:36 PM

This is in my top 3 picks. I just wish it came as a roller. I am also lookin at the ever popular TT01 and the HB Cyclone-S.

yahman1254 01-06-2009 07:18 PM

what exactly is a roller anyway?

aahwhatever2 01-07-2009 02:01 PM

A "Roller" is usually described as an RC that has no motor or electronics on it. There are some variations of the term also. Sometimes a roller may include ESC and Motor, but no servo's or radio (Rx, Tx).

Hope that helps ya out!

yahman1254 01-07-2009 06:02 PM

cool. yeah.. it seems like i am probably gonna get the tt01...

Harald1966 01-11-2009 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my Sprint 2 FLUX w/Mustang GT-R body 2 weeks ago.
Already worn out the differential axle hub. Ref pics
Is this for real??? After just driving it 10 times!!!

The axles (dog bone) is totally out of center because of this wear, so the car is bouncing while driving.

Could this be a warranty issue? I bought it at Tower Hobbies, BTW.
Have anybody experienced the same?

aahwhatever2 01-12-2009 01:44 AM

I would contact Tower Hobbies. They are usually very awsome to work with. If not, contact HPI Racing directly, as they too are usually awesome. I would consider this a warranty issue and you should have no problems getting a replacement. While on the phone with them, as them if this is a problematic area and if they have optional upgrade parts for this area.

I have been running mine somewhat mild since I am waiting to get some decent Lipo's to use. I have the money saved up now, but I am another week away from having enough for a really good AC/DC charger too. I want to purchase both at same time so I can get a better discount. hehe

PLEASE let me know what they say and how it comes out.

Thanks
Jonathan

Harald1966 01-12-2009 02:01 PM

First i called Tower Hobbies. They said, It's not our responsability. Call HPI Racing! (Thanks for nothing!)

Then I called HPI Racing. He said; It is your own fault. It's the way you drive it. You use too much throttle and break too hard.
I said: What? This is a racing car, right?
He said: No, this is not a racing car. You have to drive it carefully.

OK, so I have spend nealy $400 on a NIKKO toy!!![:@]

After some arguing back and forth, he said that he could help me out this time only. (I'm gonna send him the pics.)

My opinion is that this car's quality is not good enough for the brushless motor and LiPo. (Jonathan: Don't spend money on Lipo. You will trash the car even faster)

Sad, but true... [:o]

Lilredmachine 01-12-2009 03:37 PM

Bit of an issue isn't it?

Anyone think the Sprint was designed with the intention of going brushless? Or have they just lobbed it in there and hoped it would hold together. The E-Firestorm was ok as that was always intended for brushless.

AmoebaCowboy 01-12-2009 03:47 PM

It can come as a roller. Check amain: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/32774

aahwhatever2 01-12-2009 04:45 PM

Harald,

Man, I am sorry to hear that they were being so defensive. It looks like HPI Racing may now be taking a backseat to the "exceptional support" that they once claimed.

I have personally had to use their support before on a couple of minor issues and they were always great to deal with. I just can't believe that they would be such asses when dealing with a relatively cheap part! Especially with the economy so fragile and people not having the extra money for "hobbies". You would think that the one thing that you would want to do, above anything else, is to give the absolute best support you can to your customers.

Thank you for the warning and the info on which part to keep an eye on. I guess I will be looking at alternative drive cups that will work better under this type of "stress". LOL

Jonathan

Harald1966 01-12-2009 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: aahwhatever2
I just can't believe that they would be such asses when dealing with a relatively cheap part! Especially with the economy so fragile and people not having the extra money for "hobbies". You would think that the one thing that you would want to do, above anything else, is to give the absolute best support you can to your customers.
Jonathan
Yes, espessially with an almost new RTR.
BTW, I'm happy it is a RTR, otherwise they probably would have blamed me for putting in too much power.

I wonder why they call the Customer Support HPI Racing???
According them selves: This is no RACING car [sm=punching.gif]

Allan Aguilar 01-23-2009 11:11 AM

I had my HPI RS4 3SS for the past 4 years and it was a bit of a pain after buring almost less than 1 gallon of fuel as all of its outdrives (diff, axle, & transmission) front and rear wore out quickly, thus, I have to upgrade it to hardened one. The picture posted by Harald1966 depics the same situation that I had before, therefore, I would conclude that this is a recurring issue for most HPI kits, especially if you are a frequent user of stronger and faster motors. To address this concern, I would suggest that you upgrade your outdrives to hardened ones. I am not soo sure if there is already a hardened version of this.

Once I've sold my Yokomo MR4TC, I will consider getting one of these HPI Sprint 2. I'll use my existing electronics and motors though.

BTW, since this car have gear diffs, can this be finetuned using silicone diff oil ? I can't find an exploded view of this cars differential. [:o]

xzavin 01-23-2009 01:58 PM

God people, it IS how you drive, you are not supposed to jam on and off witht he brushless because that will wear that area out an other VERY quickly also your belts will not last as long, the sprint2sport is actually NOT a racing car at all, or they would of called it the sprint2race....the sprint2sport is for recreational driving if you want a good car for touring look into some other cars they offer, as for your problem, HPI cas great customer support and it actually is your fault you jam on and off, you should keep the throttle low or set your radio settings so that the car has a somewhat high constant, if you are racing this should be no problem. The car was not originally designed for brushless but it will work if you know how to drive, this car is really not for racing though, at least if you don't know how to drive it, the TT-01 isn't an actual "Race" car its more sport...just like the Sprint2Sport.

The only reason there is a drift version is because its set up nicely and drifting, while it does stress out other parts of the cars chassis and such, does not stress other areas that are weaker. You just need to learn how to drive the car before you go complaining to HPI about how bad their car is.

droppedgmc 01-23-2009 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Allan Aguilar

BTW, since this car have gear diffs, can this be finetuned using silicone diff oil ? I can't find an exploded view of this cars differential. [:o]
you can upgrade and buy ball diffs and front 1-way

Allan Aguilar 01-23-2009 09:13 PM

Hummm, ball diffs will be a good option for sport and touring racing. As for the one way diff, errr, perhaps if I will enter an electric touring races again, a one-way diff would be an advantage. My Yokomo MR4TC have a one way diff in it and it ran great on technical courses.

I raised an inquiry about the use of silicone diff oil to this kit because, I have 2 Ofna 1/8 scale buggies and all their diffs are filled with silicone diff oil. My Nitro RS4 3SS diffs are likewise filled with silicone diff oil so I don't have to use the diff tuning spring also from HPI.

I'll do another search of its diagram and perhaps see if it is possible to seal the diffs.

Car-Tune 01-24-2009 04:32 AM

I am new to electric rc. I have 2 nitro hpi rs4 I plan on buying my son an electric rc and I have a few questions if I could please get some of you guys help....

what is the difference between the HPI sprint 2 sport and the sprint 2 drift sport? how are they made different?

what is the speed on those cars?

what is the speed on a sprint 2 flux?

Thanx

droppedgmc 01-24-2009 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Car-Boy

what is the difference between the HPI sprint 2 sport and the sprint 2 drift sport? how are they made different?The drift comes with a 15t motor, type a drift tires, different body. the sprint 2 sport comes with a 17t motor, rubber tires for racing, touring style body

what is the speed on those cars?drifting is not about speed. the 15t motor would be faster than the 17t(20-30mph)

what is the speed on a sprint 2 flux?with brushless, the car is alot faster, especially if you put a 7cell pack or lipo in it. geared right, it could do over 50mph easy. the nice thing about brushless, is it's virtually maintenance free

Thanx

Car-Tune 01-24-2009 09:48 PM

droppedgmc, I want to Thank You very much.... you have answered all of my questions

Harald1966 01-25-2009 05:20 AM

ORIGINAL: xzavin

God people, it IS how you drive, you are not supposed to jam on and off witht he brushless because that will wear that area out an other VERY quickly also your belts will not last as long, the sprint2sport is actually NOT a racing car at all, or they would of called it the sprint2race..
The only reason there is a drift version is because its set up nicely and drifting, while it does stress out other parts of the cars chassis and such, does not stress other areas that are weaker. You just need to learn how to drive the car before you go complaining to HPI about how bad their car is.
In fact, Tower Hobbies sell it as a RACING car!
Both Sprint 2 FLUX and Customer Service sucks big time.
Getting a Sprint 2 FLUX has been a disappointing experience.

After all of my diff, axle, & transmissions were worn out, shortly after I got it, I ordered new Ball diffs, Axles and Hubs from Tower Hobbies. I don't know what they call it, but dog bone and hub was connected together as one unit.
The problem now, with new parts installed, is that car makes loud noise when wheels are rotating and I turn hard left or right at the same time. If I reduce the travel of steering servo the noise don't appear. The same if I loose up the ball diff. The problem now is that it is impossible to perform drifting with the car.

Why is it like that, and what can be done to solve it?

If this car don't handle the powerful brush less system, it's wrong to blame the customer, but it seems to be HPI's answer.

Car-Tune 01-25-2009 05:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is upgraded parts to replace those funky cheap parts, Ive seen it on the HPI website. I remember when I bought my first RS4 3 RTR it realy sucked to when the hub wore out and it will break my dogbones so I replaced the hub part with the ones that belong to the 18ss (shiny ones) and it worked just fine and dont wear out. But that black parts HPI made are cheap. If you want to save you some money for a wile you can rotate them around where you will wear out the other (or shall I say the oposite end).
Or use these from HPI at the tower....
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDHU4&P=7

Here is the set of the cheap black cup joint and the better stronger shiny steel.

xzavin 01-26-2009 11:40 AM

Ugh, Tower sells it a racing car NOT HPI, thats towers fault for incorrectly listing it, it isn't a racing car dude, its a sport car, and OMG just like any real life car (1:1 I.E. Nissan 350Z or something) yes it can perform at race level but things will wear out faster you have to upgrade it so it performs like a racing car.

iexion 01-29-2009 02:19 PM

Does anyone know if the OPTIONAL TWO SPEED TRANSMISSION for the Hpi sport/pro ( No longer in production ) will fit the Hpi sprint Series of cars?

Harald1966 01-30-2009 11:27 PM

Where can I find good quality upgrade parts for the Sprint 2?