Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

The RF Revolver sucks........ or does it

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

The RF Revolver sucks........ or does it

Old 11-21-2010, 08:14 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The RF Revolver sucks........ or does it

A thread over on another forum is one of those that's built it's own little community talking about the 60 size Revolver. As they amble on discussing the plane and somewhat related stuff, someone threw in that he thinks the RealFlight Revolvers suck. Another member jumped in and said he didn't like them either.

That got my curiosity up. I didn't remember flying the Revolvers in RF. So I plugged the InterLink in and cranked the sucker up. I couldn't find but one Revolver. It is the 40size and it's electric. So I went to Knife Edge and found 5 or 6 there. Installed all of 'em and settled back to see what's what.

I get to fly a big Revolver every so often. Last year or maybe spring of this one, I maidened a 40 size powered by either an OS46AX or 55AX. I remember that one flying pretty much like the big one(s). Very good speed and steady on line.... like it's on rails. Really nice flying planes. Really nice.

In my opinion the "factory" one in RF flies like.... well, like it's on rails. And it's fast. It seems to snap differently then the real life ones I've flown, but then the real life ones often don't have the CG moved around to be perfect. Most people try for the recommended CG, get close or settle for a suggested spot and never move a thing from then on. (and often whine about how sensitive or dull it flies.... 'cause they don't trim the elevator throw either... whatever )

Anyway.....
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 AM
da Rock

Default RE: The RF Revolver sucks........ or does it

So I get into RF5.5 and fly their Revolver. And fly the download ones.

In my opinion, all of the download ones had fatal flaws. At least two of them were dead slow. Those of you with Revolvers know they are NOT slow. One of them seemed to have locked brakes because it nosed over instantly with throttle. I'm guessing it being a RF3.5 version was the reason....

So after deleting all the downloaded ones, the original got a few minutes of stick time.

I wound up wanting it to be a 60 size, glow powered like I get to fly every so often. Like the sound and like the size. But it was quicker to take the original and do an engine swap.

HOOOOO HAHAHA haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.............

It turns out the list of available glow engines has EXPANDED since I last looked. So I chose an OS55AX. Turns out the list of available engine sounds may or may not have added one or two... and half are heli engines.... whatever......

It took maybe 2 minutes to do the engine/sound swap. It took maybe two circuits of the Airforce Museum flying site to decide the change produced a winner. Now I need to take the time to make a big Revolver.

Near as I can tell, the little one flies pretty close to how the real ones fly. I got no idea what didn't feel right to those other guys.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 AM
da Rock

What do you think? Have you flown the little electric Revolver in RealFlight?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:47 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't flown the real Revolver so I cannot say how the RF model compares.

However I have many real RC planes where I also have the simulated model.

Typically I find that I must make a few adjustments or tweaks to get the simulated version to fly like the real thing.

Once done however the sim exhibits the same second order quirks that the real model does, to the point of often predicting behaviours that I later experience in the real world.

The downside is adjustments are needed.... particularly to planes in the Expansion packs...

( All too often the add-ons and Expansion Pack planes were designed for a different rev of the sim, so bear that in mind. ).

The upside is that these are VERY easy to do in Realflight, compared to other sims, and the results can be spectacularly accurate.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM
da Rock

Yup, seen the same thing.

What you mention about the sim performance predicting the real world performance is rather startling when you experience it.

I've seen it a couple of times at the flying field. And I think I know why it happens so often.

Figure the probability of each one of our models being setup perfectly and/or getting trimmed out perfectly. Heck, consider how improbable it is that every ARF out of the boxes wind up weighing the exact same weight and all the surfaces being warp free. And every one of us positioning all the components exactly right for all of our real models (I love being able to type "real models" ) to wind up with the CG located in the perfect place. etc etc

Now guess how much effort the development team put into creating the sim models as perfectly as possible. Consider while guessing that those name models are going to "advertise" the real models another branch of the same company is selling for real money.

It is real interesting.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh... yeah... Sim models are rather (* cough * ) optimistic at best...

I would love to see sims throw in adjustable amounts of build errors, engine mistuning, and engine weather related variations...

That said, I purchased the GP Reactor EP after flying it in the RF sim, as I really liking how it flew there.

Once I received it I compared the motor configuration to what was recommended. I noted that the sim modeled a completely different motor.

On a whim I ordered the same Rimfire motor & prop.

I was delighted to find that the performance of the real world model closely mimic'd the sim.

I did find that I had to set the C.G. back a bit to mirror in flight characteristics, but that was about the only tweak needed.

In this case the "predictive" aspect of the sim was rather amazing.

As you said, I doubt that someone has dragged every REAL model out to an airfield, along with a beta of a simulation and ran both through the standard trimming tests advanced fliers use.

Observing things like: the degree of change in nose drop when inverted on both the sim and in real life, and then adjusting the sim accordingly, etc... would result in rather amazing fidelity of the flight models... but I suppose that is hardly ever done on any sim, or only on a handful of available models.

I've taken an Alpha 40 trainer out, along with three PC's running Realflight 4.5 to our airfield when we ran a summer kids camp.

That let me highly tweak the user created Alpha 40 model. The results IMHO were pretty impressive.