Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

How do I add planes?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

How do I add planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:36 AM
markhamregular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do I add planes?

I have the real flight 5.5. I downloaded the latest version.
I am surprised that it does not list the Avistar which is a trainer that has been around for a long time.
It lists the Nextar from the same manufacturer.
Is it possible to add aircrafts to Realflight and if so how?

Thanks,

Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do I add planes?

There a hundreds of user created planes that you can add to Realflight available.

There are also FREE add-on packs ( not expansion packs ) that also contain additional planes.

Visit the www.knifeedge.com/forums swap pages for user created planes, program updates and instructions on how to obtain the free add-on packs.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 AM
markhamregular

I went to the swap page but all those files are in some form of zip format.
Any unzip program you may recommend?
Have you used those files? I was able to unzip one but Norton stopped it because it was unsafe.
I am a little uneasy about them now.

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harryangus

I went to the swap page but all those files are in some form of zip format.
Any unzip program you may recommend?
Have you used those files? I was able to unzip one but Norton stopped it because it was unsafe.
I am a little uneasy about them now.

Thanks,
The files you download off those swap pages require nothing else to install.

Open the sim
Click on SIMULATION to get that list
Go down to IMPORT and into that list
The bottom line of that list will open a window that'll let you browse to wherever you downloaded the aircraft or flying field file.
Point out the file and it'll install it, even if it's a zip file
Old 01-18-2011, 10:22 AM
opjose

Also make sure you click on the question marks in the download pages ( don't click the downward point symbol to download directly, go to the descriptive page for the plane you are going to download).

This explains what else you may need to do and the import process.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
markhamregular

Thank you so much.  I was able to download the Escapade an the Avistar which are the 2 planes I have.

I am having a serious problem recalibrating the controller. Each time I do it, I moved all the sticks and knobs, but still the planes would go up or turn right all the time evn at half throttle speed.

Is there a way to reset everything on the controller? I think this problem strated to happen when I started to play with the trim buttons.

Thanks,

Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
opjose

Make sure that you calibrate the Interlink via the Windows Control Panel FIRST.

Then go back in and recalibrate it in Realflight.

Then fly the plane with no wind to check it.

Note the Avistar DOES climb at higher throttles because it is a trainer. This is standard behaviour for a trainer.

As far as Trims, the Interlink makes a noise each time you move the trims.

There is one particular noise for trim center and another for trim extremes.

Retrim and listen for the "center" tone.

Since the sim remembers the DIGITAL trim settings for each plane, if you put the plane out of trim, it will subsequently return to the same state the next time you load it.... just like a real digital trim TX.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 AM
markhamregular

Thank you so much. I will try tonight.
So, first I calibrate using the game controller of Windows control panel.
Then, I recalibrate using Realflight.
But still, if I had previously trimmed any particular plane, it will go back to that trim for this plane.
So, I would have to listen to that tone of the trim buttons to make it happen.
I think I get it.

One last question and I promise not to bother more: are those planes designed by users fly like the real model?
Just l;ike those that come with the program?

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2011, 08:38 AM
opjose

Re: Planes

Here's the thing...

There are a lot of kiddies (and immature adults) on the forum uploading their 5 minute efforts. It can take weeks of work to get things right...

These people don't have a clue as to how to edit and trim out the physics in the sim to get realistic performance.
They also DO NOT take the time or effort to fly the simulated plane through a standard set of testing procedures ( typically the same ones used for testing REAL RC aircraft ) and then do the same to the real planes ( that they often don't own )... and comparing the two scientifically and adjusting the simulator to produce exactly the same behavior as the real world counter part...

These same "kiddies" take to posting low ratings in reprisal for their own poor reviews by the more experienced... so don't take the ratings verbatim.

If in doubt ASK in the forums.

Of course the same is true of any user created aircraft for any sim.

The planes which come with the sim are not always spot on, but they are often better than most user created efforts.

Anecdotally:

I liked the small Reactor EP plane in the simulator's Expansion Packs so much that I purchased the real thing.
When I went to put the plane together, I noticed that the sim used a different motor than what was recommended... since I liked the plane's simulated behavior I went with the same motor....

I was ecstatic with the results as the two flew identically and the simulated motor/ESC/Prop combo was sooo much better than the recommended one.

That said, there are a handful of people who post planes that "get it" and do take the time and effort to get things right.
These planes simulate the real things so well that even second & third order effect are exhibited in the sim.

The planes display simulated quirks that exactly mimic their real world counterparts...

E.G. the Funtana's tendancy to nose up just before landing... rates of inverted hands off dive, etc... etc... etc.

BTW: Want a spot on trainer? Download the Alpha 40 from the swap pages.

The "user created" Alpha 40 in Realflight is FAR more accurate than the commercial one in Horizon's FSOne simulator... and IMHO FSOne's other planes are not representative of how their real world counterparts perform. ( I have most and have flown ALL of the FSOne planes in real life, and I can't wrench the observed behaviour of the real world plane in the sim... I have FAR more luck with Realflight and Aerofly 5.5, the former being the easiest to adjust... ).

Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM
markhamregular

I have not soloed yet. I had built a PT40 but it was so poorly built that experts told me not to continue fighting with that plane. So I put it in storage until one day I fix it.
I ordered an Avistar (I don't like the flat bottom and too much dyhedral).
I had already bought an Escapade as my second plane once I am polished with the Avistar.

Both airplanes are not in Realflight. So, I was looking for one that at least mimic their behaviour somehow so I can pratice a while before I fly my avistar coming from Tower this weekend.

So, now based on what you said, I may have to ask questions as to which version of those 2 planes are considered best.

Thanks a million,

Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 AM
opjose

Plan to train with your real world Avistar, and use the Alpha 40 in the sim for practice.

I have not had a chance to compare the Avistar on the swap pages to the real thing.... but do not that trainers DO climb at higher throttle.

If a trainer can perform an outside loop in the sim from inverted level flight, it's not properly modeled.... Real trainers can only/barely do this if they are overpowered and most are not.

A properly modeled trainer can practically land itself, with the engine off and by merely holding back pressure on the stick to lessen the decent angle.

I teach students how to do their first landings this way, which sets them up for deadstick landings... once they've done this once or twice they tend to find powered landings to be very easy.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:31 AM
markhamregular

So far, I don't know if my sim transmitter is not calibrated, but I find that all the models that I have tried to land go nose down very very fast, much faster that I have found in the real world. The PT40 practically floats in the real world, but in my sim, it goes nose down fast when power is reduced to 2-3 notches from cutoff. So, I have to keep up elevator a lot.
I may have to add some wind too. I have added like 5 to 8 knots but result is the same.
I will try the Alpha 40 for sure (after I tried the calibration one more time)

Thanks,

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
opjose

Try the Alpha 40 instead.

The PT40 requires a lot of up trim for standard flight as it's modeled rather nose heavy.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:39 AM
markhamregular

I am doing much better on the calibration, but it's still not perfect.
As for each of the planes I flew before, now they all need to be trimmed one by one.
I downloaded that Alpha but it did not work. I have to try another one.
I have found the Piper a very nice plane to learn. I am surprised it's not listed as a good trainer.

Thanks guys,
Old 01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
opjose

What do you mean that the "Alpha did not work?"

Is should work just fine. It's been tested on many different configurations.

Download the file, then use the "import RFX file" menu entry, and point Realflight to that file ( even if your browser renamed it to a ZIP file ).

Realflight will then say "successfully imported".

Then find it under "custom" aircraft.

In the aircraft selection menu, change the lower left pull down option to read "product - airframe".

This groups the planes according to how they got into Realflight.

Downloaded airplanes will appear under "Custom Aircraft".

Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: harryangus

I am doing much better on the calibration, but it's still not perfect.
As for each of the planes I flew before, now they all need to be trimmed one by one.
I downloaded that Alpha but it did not work. I have to try another one.
I have found the Piper a very nice plane to learn. I am surprised it's not listed as a good trainer.

Thanks guys,
As in real life, most planes decend or dive when you take your hands off the stick.

Pilots tend to trim the plane out so that around 75-85% throttle or so, they fly somewhat level hands off... but 3D pilots do not like the affect of the trim on axial rolls so 3D planes will pitch down equally upright or inverted.

Cubs and Pipers ( unlike what is often touted around here ) are not the good trainers.

While Cubs have the ability to fly very slowly they lack the self righting characteristics of a good trainer.

Our field has a minimum 5-6mph wind at all times ( usually 8mph+). Newbies who arrive with foamy cubs then fly them w/o permission often see them floating away unable to return to the airfield in the light wind whereas glow or electric standard sized ( about .40 or larger sized ) trainers have no problems.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:26 AM
markhamregular

I was able to get the Alpha finally. Great plane! It's a very docile trainer and does not behave like the flat bottoms or the big dyhedral planes. I like it.

However, my problem with my transmitter continues. I calibrated it on Windows and then on Reaflight.

When I opened the Alpha the first time, it starts going nose down even at 3/4 up on the throttle. Is there a way to set that transmitter back to original settings like some sort of "restore defaults" so I can start all over again with each model?

Thanks,