Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

G2 frame rate jumping

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G2 frame rate jumping

Old 08-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 frame rate jumping

Been running fine. Now frame rate seems to jump esp when passing trees while in the fly from the cockpit mode. Had this problem once before and somehow it cured itself . Anybody ever have this problem?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:52 AM
apteryx

Default RE: G2 frame rate jumping

Speaking of frame rate, what is an acceptable frame rate regardless of what is in the picture. Anything over 30FPS ?, over 60FPS ? I don't think anything over that is discernable by the eye.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:59 AM
HenRam

Motion Pictures run at 33 fps. So anything over that would look smooth on a screen. If you're below that, you may notice that performance is hindered... The images or aircraft will kinda look like it's moving in slow moiton, but it's really not, it just skips a frame here and there.

To increase the frame rate in RF you can easily remove items from the screen or lower that 3d intensity... I think if you go to airport, then select visible items. You can uncheck the things you want removed... You can remove runways, trees, spectators, other planes, benches, silos, hay bales, rocks, grass, gravel, etc.... This should bring up the frame rate...

If that doesn't work, go to the video graphics settings page and set the settings to a lower value... If you're on high, try medium.. If on medium go to low... etc. etc. etc.

I'm currently running 800mhz, w 256megs or RAM and an old 32meg NIVIDIA Graphics Card and my frame rate never goes below 40fps... Very smooth... As I fly away from myself, it goes upto 145fps...
Old 11-21-2003, 02:43 PM
apteryx

Thanks, great information including the processor details. I'd like to see some other experiences from users of other simulators and computers.
Old 11-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Hyperpop

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!! IS IT NORM TO FLY UP ABOUT 5 OR 6 THOUSAND FEET, OR FLY LET'S SAY EAST TO WEST OUT SO FAR(few sec- from runway) AND RUN INTO ALL WHITE, THEN IT TURNS TO A SEE THRU WALL, AND IT WILL CRASH YOU. THE SEE THRU WALL COMES ONLY WHILE FLYING EAST TO WEST. FLYING UP SO FAR, SKY TURNS ALL WHITE.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:32 PM
apteryx

That's exactly what my G2 Lite does. You apparently fly out of the range of the program.

On the other topic of FPS, I would think that if the graphics card can keep up with your monitor frame rate at whatever resolution you have selected, there should be no problem. If it's more, it has no effect (other than bragging rights)....if it's less, the on screen video will hesitate, blink, jump, whatever.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:56 PM
rik756
My Feedback: (12)

I have an AMD 1.5 w/ 512 MB PC 2100 DDR with a GF4 Ti4800 128MB DDR video. I run everything at High and stay between 45-120 FPS depending on the airport and what's in it. I've also noticed that typically, the included planes and airports run a little better/faster than the ones I download on the G2 swap page.

As for flying into the white wall.... Imagine the airport more like a 6 sided box surrounded by a white cloud. The airport and the objects you see would be in the box. It is 3d as you fly around inside it but it has edges (or walls) surrounding it where there has been no object detail entered. When you hit the white wall you have reached the *edge* of the box or flown out of it. That's a little simplified but I believe it explains the general idea. There area also some glitches in some of the airports. Rainbow canyon has a ditch that if you drop into it, you can actually fly Under the board.

Hope that explaines it a little.
Rick
Old 11-30-2003, 05:14 PM
Hyperpop

WELL, bought the add on volume 1, now it wont load up. someone said i need the microsoft Direct X 7.0
you guy's know where to get this or someother to make it work.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Phred
My Feedback: (2)

Another Question. How do I read my FPS rate while flying? Thanks.
Phred
Old 12-01-2003, 10:56 AM
rik756

To find out your FPS go to VIEW, EDIT GADGET and you can choose which options you want to view, FPS being one of them. You then select advanced NAV GUIDE to have it show on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22592.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	78857  
Old 12-02-2003, 01:34 AM
Phred
My Feedback: (2)

rik756,
Thanks. I'm running G2 on a compaq presario w/WinXP. Its only 633MHz with 256MB ram. It has an integrated graphics controller w/32MB ram. It seemed to run smoother on WinME, but the best I get is 30 FPS. I've lowered the graphics quality to med. and terrain density to 95. I also dropped the Misc. phisics options to 90%, but still only get 30 FPS. So do I need an an aftermarket graphics card? If so, what kind of card are you guys using? Thanks again.
Phred
Old 12-02-2003, 01:59 AM
rik756

My system specs are about two messages up and as you can see in the screen shot I took, I was only getting 45fps. If I crank everything down I can get in the 100's but I prefer it to look better as long as it doesnt let lower than 30fps...
Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM
HenRam

In order to get RealFlight Addon 1 and 2 to install, you'll need to pickup a patch file that RealFlight put out for these two addons... Here is a link outlining the problem and solution: http://www.gpsoftware.com/kb/q01-1036.htm

You don't have to sacrifce quality to get a higher frame rate... You should definately not downgrade the physics of the sim... Processing power on the physics will not affect the graphics in anyway... All physics are handled by the processor, and all graphics are handled by the video card... Your frame rate problem is probably due to the video card not being able to handle the rendering.... If you need to bump up your frame rate, remove unnecessary items from the screen. I usually fly at the Fun Fly field, but I take everything out except the runway, grass, distant trees and windsock... Everything else is just in the way and lowers the frame rate drastically... You can remove things by going to Airport, then select Item Visibility... if you click on ones with the checkmark, they will be removed from the view... You can easily add them back by clicking on it again. You can keep everything else like the visual details on high this way, everthing still looks good, there are just fewer things looking good with the exception of the aircraft...