Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

dumb question about air speed

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

dumb question about air speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
t34pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dumb question about air speed

As a total newby, I'm curious: if you are flying a 1/7th scale plane at an indicated air speed of 35 mph in the sim, does that mean that it is the same as a full scale plane flying 7 times that speed? 35x7=245 mph?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dumb question about air speed

No and Yes! The indicated airspeed is not a scaled down representation. It isthe actualreal world speed. However, if you want to run the rabbit deep enough, then yes, 35mph in a 1/7 scale plane would be the "relative" equivilent of 245mph in the full scale version.
This is where it gets interesting in the modeling world.
Consider my .40 sizedP-51 Mustang, which is about 1/5 scale of the real thing. It will stall around 20mph. Scale this up to full size and you would have a P-51 with a stall speed of 75 to 100mph, which is not representative of the realplane. Point being, it is easier to keep true scale performance in larger models.