Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Realflight G2 tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 09:58 PM
SteveGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Realflight G2 tips

Just started trying to learn G2. Can anyone provide tips regarding position of pilot, views or aircraft configuration to make learning to fly easier?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 PM
RSands

Run as high a resolution as possible and keep your view zoomed out. This will keep the detail up on the plane so you can tell what it is doing, but also allow a view of the ground when you are flying low, so that you can see the runway for landing. Sticking with one field will also help, as you'll start to learn from the background where the airstrip is at, without actually being able to see the ground.

I learned to fly on RF, and soloed my first time out. Here's what my goals were before I ever flew the plane: Be able to fly circuits with no error to inputs, irregardless of whether it was coming or going. Be able to do loops and rolls without crashing. Be able to land without crashing, on the landing strip every time, at least ten times in a row. Be able to fly circuits inverted, under control, with no error in inputs. Be albe to fly rudder only (not using ailerons). Control the throttle, ie be able hold 50% up elevator, and use the throttle to control ascent/descent. It took a while to get this good on the sim (a month of diligent practice), but it really paid off, and the first day I was flying better than some of the members in the club, that had been flying for years. Last piece of advise: take every crash in RF seriously. Stop, think about what you did wrong, and try not to let it happen again. You can very easily turn a crash in RF into a crash at the field, just because it so easy to hit reset on the PC. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:53 PM
SteveGB

Thanks for the advice and overview of your goals. Was impressed with the month of practice you put in. My current problem is having no frame of reference for answers to overcome mistakes I am making. I do see improvement, however. I guess that time and practice along with an analytical approach will pay off.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:11 AM
RSands

Sounds like you'll get the hang of it in no time. If you stop after a mistake and think about things you'll find you make up rules as you go along, ie when flying toward yourself, "low wing gets the stick". After a while you'll no longer think about it and just do it.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:24 AM
SteveGB

Yes, I am becoming more automatic in my response to the plane's actions. My biggest problems at the moment are not being able to see or know where the landing strip is and having the correct amount of throttle. Seems that I also mush into a landing either over correcting or not being properly set up on final.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:29 PM
elevator_up

I have a similar problem lining up to final approach. I usually hit the down-arrow key just prior and it pulls back the zoom for a couple of seconds so you can line up the approach.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:08 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Default MORE HELPFUL HINTS

Hello SteveGB,
Some of the things I did to my RF Sim.
I took tw pylon poles after super sizing them. I then placed them 45 degrees out infront of my center of view.The two farthest corners would work. I use this a reference points to fly to and from.
I then switch off my 3D view.
On my planes I make a copy of them and increase the scale size. This makes the planes not so dinkie and are easier to see when in flight.
I do increase the wind blowing in toward me, usually start at 5mph up to 25 mph. as the wind speed is set higher . This will hlp with your rudder aplication. Now I find myself adding the rudder correction w/o really thinking about it.
1st U.S. R/C Flight School puts out and manual to set up your RF Sim for training purposes for about $10.00.
Just remember RF is a very good training aid and doesn't really givie you the exileration you get when flying real RC. But it will give you very good hand & eyer cordination.
NEDYOB
Old 08-20-2003, 03:21 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

fly high
keep the space bar ready to use to abort

nedyob

I like your thoughts on the rudder

I 2 learn to fly off real flight, I spent 3 days after working practinguntil 1-2 am in the morning 3 days later I went out to the field I got the plane down but I spent 20 minutes trying to land as in real life a trainer will fly so slow and all my approaches were to high like I had practiced on real flight now g-2.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 PM
SteveGB

Thanks guys

Great comments/advice. I will certainly benefit.