Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight or Pheonix

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight or Pheonix

Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 PM
kjmchome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight or Pheonix

My son is really into planes and I want to make the right choice on buying a flight simulator for him.
What is the difference between the Real Flight and Pheonix?
Can some one help me out?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 AM
P-Y
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Real Flight or Pheonix

I don't know Phoenix sim, but Realflight is definitely a great realistic (or almost) sim.
I spent a winter on it and then it just took me 3 flights to solo...
The only negative point is its price.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
dbcisco
Banned

IMHO Real flight G4 is the best sim ever made. G4.5. and G5 had t many problems for me.
My ratings

1. G4
2. REflex
3. AFPD
4. Phoenix
5. G3.5
6. G4.5
7. G5
8. FMS
9. FS-One
I love FMS but it is limited. Fits 90% of my needs though.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
johndou

If you're considering RealFlight keep in mind that their version upgrades are not compatible with each other ...

Nov 2004 - G3 available
Oct 2006 - G3.5 available
Oct 2007 - G4 available
Oct 2008 - G4.5 available
Oct 2009 - G5 available
Oct 2010 - ???

Since they release a new version every year you'll need to buy the upgrade if you want to play with your friends online. Or, like with the other versions just play online with whoever has the same version as you do. Even though G3.5 is only 4 years old there are very, very few online sessions available anymore. Plus, of course any of the new "expansion packs" are not compatible with the older versions.

Plus RealFlight is a bit of a resource hog when it comes to computer systems. So, for RealFlight you'll need a top of the line gaming computer and video card to be able to utilize it's many features and you'll need to update yearly (some of which will cost additionally) to stay current with the latest changes.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM
TigerI

I have both RF5 & Phoenix 2.5. RF has free downloads on Knifeedge.com but different versions of RF are not compatible with each other. Nice graphics & flight characteristics. I do prefer Phoenix though as I think the flight characteristics are even closer to the real model. Addons are only what Phoenix approves for downloads but are free.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:31 PM
wazzbat

I have RF 4.5 and am happy with it but......  I haven't tried any others and haven't flown a real rc plane yet so my comments are probably not much help considering I have nothing to compare it with!  I feel confident though that I would be able to fly a real rc plane now including take offs and landings after messing about with the sim for a couple of weeks.  But in saying that, I'm not sure how realistic the sim actually is and would probably be severly dissapointed after crashing straight away.  But that;s why you should always join a club first I suppose!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:36 PM
jazzboy

Phoenix has been simply amazing!!!
Old 10-21-2010, 09:37 PM
FOQRS

I'm also trying to decide which one. I looked at some YouTube videos of both and the graphics on the Phoenix are real backgrounds. The realflight g5.5 looks more computer animated.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:00 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: FOQRS

I'm also trying to decide which one. I looked at some YouTube videos of both and the graphics on the Phoenix are real backgrounds. The realflight g5.5 looks more computer animated.

RealFlight has two different methods generating the flying fields. Some are completely computer generated. It's the method they started with way on back at day one. A couple years ago they introduced photo fields, that use actual 360 degree photographs. They look like the world does. Some people have taken pictures of their club fields, worked the pictures into 360 composites, and made very good flying fields everyone can use.

But yeah, they also have computer generated fields too. Their latest do look better than their 1st ones, but you can still tell.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 PM
FOQRS

I have a few local hobby shops here in Vegas but they all carry realflight so it looks like realflight G5.5 for me. From what I understand the Phoenix had an actual useable radio and was $25.00 cheaper. Could really use the $200.00 toward a new heli but after several flight attempts I think this sim is a must lol. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:00 AM
jazzboy

Still think the Phoenixsoftware is boss but recently had stunningly poor tech support. The anonymous "tech" at best recommeded using Google!!! Awesome software still needs support. Hope they get their act together.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
FOQRS

Wow, I purchased the realflight G5.5 today and it's a lot more difficult than I expected. Once those Heli's start drifting away theres no coming back lol. I can fly the lil red Blade heli all day. The rest are very touchy.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:34 AM
gi1mo2

I have Clearview, RealFlight G4.5 and just bought Phoenix flight simulator. The jury is out between RealFlight and Phoenix. Seems to be better graphics in Phoenix, but I can fly helis inverted without crashing in Clearview. I can't do that in real life low to the ground. Perhaps I'm getting better :-). The CP Pro 2 does not handle like what is in Phoenix. I'm certain I will continue to alternate, and play with all of them. I like the Phoenix simulator because the Align helis are out of the box. The first one to get me the Parkzone Extra 300 might win me over. Just got that plane yesterday :-)
Old 11-28-2010, 01:19 AM
johnvilla

I decided to go with Phoenix about 4 months ago and I have been very pleased.  A few reasons for my choice were:

1. Price and more then enough aircraft to train with. I dont care if G4 has more models, I just wanted stick time.
2. I can use my radio ( adapter needed, not included, about 10.00 bucks) instead of a  fake box.
3. you can download a  "demo" ( non interactive) from the Phoenix website that allows you to see how the sim will run on your PC.  You cant fly any planes, you can only spectate. Important if you're not sure if you have the horse power for a sim. "Trying before buying" was a big plus for me.
4. The training tutorials are quite good.

Ultimately, stick time with my TX was what I was looking for and it was what I got.

John V

Old 11-28-2010, 09:17 AM
gi1mo2

What I found between the two is that Phoenix has better and easier ways to modify parameters related to the performance of the aircraft or heli you choose. Better online play as well. Using my own TX vs the one with Real Fkight isn't much difference
Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
BoiseBee
My Feedback: (3)

Johnvilla,
What is the cable length of the Tx adapter you got with the Phoenix? Reason I ask is I want to use mine on a 46" tv and will need to be back a little.
(I'm leaning to the Phoenix based on research: 1) Seems that you can modify sim aircraft performance to better match your real bird; 2) I can use my RD and RDS Tx's.)

Steve
Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 PM
johnvilla

BoiseBee,

The PC interface cable is a6'5" long, the adaptor is only 7" long. Since the connector for the PC is USB, I guess you could use a male to femaleUSBcable to add some length, but be warned: " Because of the nature in which data is carried through the cable, USB has an accepted maximum length of 15 feet. Some devices, depending on power needs and data bandwidth, may be able to go beyond this, but there are no guarantees. "

JohnV
Old 11-28-2010, 05:56 PM
BoiseBee

Thanks, John
Just curious, since I haven't ever hooked up a modern sim (last was a Dave Brown 15 years ago), what does the connector at the Tx look like? Does it plug into the Trainer jack? What is the 7" piece?

Steve
Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 PM
gi1mo2

The cable that comes with Phoenix flight simulator is a USB (computer) to stereo-style jack (transmitter). Some transmitters will require an adaptor (see list on Phoenix site [link=http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.htm]here[/link])
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 PM
BoiseBee

That makes sense now that I know some Tx's have a different jack. That also answers my question about length - about 7', which would be about right.

Thank you - Steve
Old 12-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Bader Al Mutawa

i used the real flight sim for only 1 year and now i am flying 3D planes easily
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: johndou

Since they release a new version every year you'll need to buy the upgrade if you want to play with your friends online.
That assumes

1. - Your "friends" have already upgraded to a version not compatible with yours

2. - The upgrade they've obtained is not free.

-

Last year 5.0 was released before the holidays. This year 5.5... The upgrade to 5.5 was free.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:26 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

IMHO Real flight G4 is the best sim ever made. G4.5. and G5 had t many problems for me.
My ratings

1. G4
2. REflex
3. AFPD
4. Phoenix
5. G3.5
6. G4.5
7. G5
8. FMS
9. FS-One
I love FMS but it is limited. Fits 90% of my needs though.
Check out Aerofly 5.0... It gives G4/G5 a run for it's money... ( gasp, yes I said it! ).

The flight modeling is now comparable to G4/G5, and it is superior in 3D graphic fluidity thanks to the use of OpenGL instead of DirectX.

Sadly most of the included or available planes are not what we see around here ( primarily Euro planes... ). Their Physics editor is also user unfriendly.

It also still has tons of bugs too, but it's a very promising Sim thanks to the improvements. I'm enjoying it.

It is much better than AFDP.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
rcflyingnut
My Feedback: (9)

I have "flown" on a freinds RF and after talking to the LHS owner; I purchased the Phoenix. The Phoenix has impressed me for several reasons that have already been covered.

Jazzboy: I recently had a problem getting the new 3.0 update on Phoenix to take. I called Horizon and they couldn't really help. I emailed Phoenix's global support and they helped, but I eventually figured it out myself. They will help, but it might take several hours for them to emial you back. I had a post several days ago about this and I put in there what I did to overcome the problem.

Gi1mo2: That is the other reason why I like the Phoenix sim. It has most planes from Horizon Hobby, Hanger 9, Eflite, Parkzone, and Blade. I would say that Phoenix will be the only one that will have the Parkzone Extra 300. The new 3.0 version added a couple planes including the HZ Super Cub LP.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM
grosbeak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm brand new to the hobby... my wife gave me a Hobbyzone Super Cub LP for Christmas. After doing some research Iopted for Phoenix, for two reasons. First, it comes with a perfectly good Spektrum DX5e 2.4 GHz DMS2 transmitter. Second, it models the Hobbyzone Super Cub.

I wanted to practice flying RC with the sim this winter; I've got over five hours on it so far. When spring comes I'll take the actual airplane out for its first flight, hopefully having learned enough to cut down on the number of crashes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.