Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Simulator controllers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Simulator controllers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM
MX5Seeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulator controllers?

A little background. I started in this hobby about 15 or 16 years ago. After about 2 flights on an ARF I put together, the club I was in moved. With no easy place to fly, I gave my plane to a friend.

Fast forward to today. I want back in. I have 2 clubs within 30 minutes of me and two more in less than an hour. So it's only a matter of time now.

After reading a lot, it looks like an investment in a simulator would be good for a lot of reasons. I can practice over the winter, crash a lot of bits, then buy a trainer in the spring. Plus there appears to be ongoing advantageto the simseven for those who are no longernovices.

Well, I have narrowed it down to Phoenix R/C ProSimver.3.0 w/DX5e or Realflight 6. I have downloaded the demo versions of both. I like that Realflight actually lets you “keyboard” fly a plane. The Phoenix demo is just a lot of clips. I don't have a high end videocard, but both look and sound fine on my HP desktop. And both are in the $200 range.

So with similar video, not a huge difference in price, is there a difference in the controllers? I believe Realflight comes with a Interlink Elite Controller, correct? And Phoenix has the DX5e. Any advantage of one over the other?

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:01 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Simulator controllers?

That may come down to personal preference. Pheonix may be an advantage if you also want to use the DX5 to fly a real model with. Personally, I like Real Flight better for the upgrades and exapansions that are available, especially if you dabble in helicopters some as I do.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM
brentg269
My Feedback: (2)

Welcome back to RC. Both of these sims will allow you to hone yours skills in all areas of learning rc again.

I have both Realflight and Phoenix and both are top notch sims, They both have their strong points and weakness, Phoenix- You can use as the previous poster said the DX5 on a real world model if you buy a 2.4 receiver, Top notch heli physics, above average plane physics. Super camera perspective as the ground pilot. Runs well on a average configed computer. Graphic setting can be adjusted to hardware. Only has photofield scenery but seems above average with the camera positions offered. They have a lot of planes and helis to offer but only what they release, no user content. Average physics editing to tweak existing planes or helis
Realflight. I only have 5.5 so I can't say what 6 has to offer, But RF has the interlink usb controller that can be tethered to real radio, Has above average plane and heli physics, total control of editing physics, Photofield and 3d fields, top notch graphics with normal maps but can bog down a average computers fps to a unrealistic state, but options can be lowered or turned off. Lots of planes and helis offered and a user content database that has just about any plane or heli, color scheme, physics edit, you could want, They might not all fly like their real world conterparts but can be edited to taste.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 AM
MX5Seeker

I noticed something else about the controllers. For RealFlight, you can get either Mode 1 or Mode 2. I don't see that option for Phoenix. Are they all Mode 2?

Update: Got an answer tomyquestion. I called their tech line and all of them (at least in the US) are Mode 2.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM
kzart

Here is a secret I found. e sky FMS flight sim...Its free to download and there are links to tons of free planes. Controller was like 20 bucks (u will need that, but if ur good w electrics there r links to guys who've made their on controllers, 20 bucks worked for me). The simulator doesnt have all the games the new sims have but if u strictly wanna practice flying dif types of planes its perfect . If u go this route search "fms downloads" U'll find um. If u wanna check out the planes go to http://rcp.web.infoseek.co.jp/fms_aircraft_e.htmlmy favorites there are FMS_TorqueRoll-23.zip 2.6MB and also ggunners site http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htmcheck out the sbach.