Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Is RF 6 a terrible resource hog???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Is RF 6 a terrible resource hog???

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is RF 6 a terrible resource hog???

Is it just my new computer (got RF 6 at the same time) or what? ...... man my puter and vid card are top notch now but with RF 6 I have to turn off almost all scenery objects to keep the frame rate from stuttering, just can't keep up correctly it looks like. My vid card is GeoForce GTX 460, AMD quad processor, etc. so what gives. Anyone else having that problem? I had 4.5 before and a much less computer and vid card and it kept up better than this. What can I do to make it work any better? I have already gone into settings and turned all the quality ones down to low quality. BTW, in Windows 7 when I run the computer test everything comes out great, around 7.6.

Thanks for any input,

Ernie Misner
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 AM
jknox

Default RE: Is RF 6 a terrible resource hog???

I'm running a GTX460 as well and not having any stuttering. What's your frame rate, (in the NavGuide), - and what video resolution are you running? I'm getting ~650-700 FPS at 1920 x 1080.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:49 AM
jzrf6c

Make sure to turn off all extranious backgroung programs that may be getting up the CPU cycles
Old 01-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks..... don't have anything else running though.

Ernie
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
grimbeaver

I've actually found RF6 to be better then RF5.5. On 5.5 it would max out one of my CPU cores while the others were all idle and I would get stuttering.

Make sure you have latest video drivers from Nvidia site. Also try and install (or uninstall) the AMD Dual Core Optimizer. Heard various reports of it helping/harming games. What video card exactly do you have (ie manufacturer / model)? Some Nvidia cards are overclocked and require more airflow in the case. Is it just RF or do other 3D games work fine? Also what size is your power supply? If you bought an off the shelf PC and slapped a GTX460 in it you likely do not have an adequate power supply to run that card.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Muddin_Mavric

When i went from 4.5 to 6.0 my fps with a 560 ti nearly doubled and thats with all settings maxxed. When the fans on vid. Card died and it got too hot it would start to shutter real bad. I dont rhink going to rf 6.0 is your problem. Also make sure rf is up to date.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Ernie Misner

Thanks guys! I downloaded the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 Version II driver finally and that did help a lot. The stuttering mostly stopped when everything is turned on but the processor still gets hot real fast. Now today threre is a newer one, version 296.10 which I downloaded but havent had chance to try yet. The power supply is a big herky one that my computer guru friend picked out when we bought all the parts to build this computer so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

grimbeaver, that's the error message I get from Norton while running RF6, that one of my CPU cores is maxed out at 100%..... actually says "one or more"......

My proceccor is an AMD Phenom II x4, 965 Processor 3.4ghz. I'll have to talk to my computer friend about installing the AMD core optimizer.

Thanks muchly guys!

Ernie Misner
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Ernie,

I typically run a screen resolution of 1920 X 1080, but if I run RF (RealFlight) at this resolution I get the "studdering".

I have a post-it note on my RF controller to set the screen resolution to 1600 X 1024 before I run RF. This stops the "studdering". You may want to lower your screen resolution before running RF and give it a try.

I hope it helps. Let us know if it works.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne
Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
grimbeaver

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner
grimbeaver, that's the error message I get from Norton while running RF6, that one of my CPU cores is maxed out at 100%..... actually says ''one or more''......
The RF code really needs a good updating to make it more multi-core friendly. If you want to talk about a resource hog look at what Norton is using

As for the CPU getting hot, well they can run pretty hot and be fine. I have a Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz and anytime I would start a game the stock fan would just crank up. Got myself one of [link=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099]these[/link] and now it's nice and quiet.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Ernie Misner

A "Coolmaster Fan" huh? That's great that it does the job and is still quiet. Must have something to do with the larger size and lower rpms.

I tried turning the resolution waaaay down, even to the lowest setting and it did not help. With the latest driver that isn't a problem any more, it's just that the processor get's hot after about 2 minutes and the noisy fan comes on....... and that message from good ol' Norton. Indeed if it is just one of the 4 processors working at 100% then the work load needs to be spead out better amongst the 4 processors.

Thanks guys,

Ernie Misner