RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Editing Models on Realflight 3.5

Old 03-25-2012, 03:04 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Editing Models on Realflight 3.5

Hey guys, Im just going to admit that with this issue, I haven't done a whole lot of research because ive been re-building my 20cc plane and researching 30cc planes for my next build. I got the Realflight expansion pack 4 because I have the Great Planes Revolver 70", and I thought I could get some more flight time with the 59" plane on the sim.

Well the Revolver is an electric plane on the Sim, and I have not been able to edit any planes thus far. It doesn't seem very user friendly. I simply changed the power plant from the electric to the internal combustion engine, and when I go to to fly the plane, it drops the nose like there is 25lbs weight on the nose.

How the heck can I change the power plant, as well as keep the plane balanced??? With this electric powerplant, the plane is very sluggish compared to my large revolver with a DLE20

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 03-25-2012, 04:14 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Editing Models on Realflight 3.5

You don't mention which engine you put into that little electric Revolver. Just like real life, the weight of the new power plant should match the weight of the one being replaced.

RealFlight takes a bit of searching to get everything changed. I'm guessing you saw the power plant options and changed from electric to fuel.

I did that just now and the plane I was fiddling with went from 6.712 lbs to 8.163 lbs. It went from a Kontronik KBM 42-20 motor to a ST.90. They show the power plant weight going from 6.2oz to 25.9oz.

I think you'll have to consider everything to do the swap in RealFlight that you'd have to consider in real life.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:15 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I do when I'm thinking about doing something like that is to look in the KnifeEdge forums. A lot of conversions already exist.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So when I switch to the "internal combustion engine", it doesnt have any different options for the engine? It seems weird that it just puts in an engine thats way too big...

Maybe i just dont know how to do things....
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mach2

So when I switch to the ''internal combustion engine'', it doesnt have any different options for the engine? It seems weird that it just puts in an engine thats way too big...

Maybe i just dont know how to do things....

No, it does have options, a huge list of them.

However, don't feel bad about not noticing... as they are almost hidden... where almost noone would notice. They're hidden behind the "..." button. No kidding.

Their system for editing existing models really isn't intuitive, but it is there and pretty much complete.

I happened to have fiddled with editing that Revolver a couple of years back and it took awhile. While doing it, I think I downloaded one from their website. I wound up having to edit that one iirc.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks. Ill play around with it more. Is there an online manual that would help me?

This little 59" revolver on the sim doesnt really fly like my real 70" Revolver. It doesnt knife edge well. The rudder doesnt have much authority, and it wants to roll the plane back to level when giving rudder, so I have to keep aileron input, rudder and down elevator to keep it in a good knife edge. Which is good practice, but my real plane only requires rudder and a little down elevator to keep it tracking straight...

I looked up that forum. It looks like lots of good info there. thanks!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:55 PM
mach2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I went to that forum and found an edited revolver ( a few of them actually) and it flies a lot like mine. Its just smaller and a little harder to see.

There was one i downloaded that was blown up much bigger, but anytime you pull back on the stick at a decent speed, the wings rip off of it. And it doesnt have much throw, even on high rates.

But im glad i found a good one.

Im having fun flying some of the other modified planes too.

Thanks man.
Jeremy