Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

A noob question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM
keshmiester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A noob question

I really wanted to get in this hobby, but just had a hard time finding instructors and help lately. Ok so I decided to go with a mutliplex easystar and teach myself to assemble and fly it. But, before I just feel that it would be best if I get some sim time. I know that the whole pheonix and realfight thing has been debated to death but I am not asking for a best sim but a good sim for a begginer that is easy to set up and use and also offers realistic physics. Just want to get others' opinion before I over a fortune to either realflight or phoenix. And, as always any help is highly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: A noob question

Your thoughts are good ones.

Any of the sims provide the most important practice. Of course, that same practice can be had just buying a really cheap RC car from Radio Shack. Sims or RC cars... they provide a cheap and safe way to learn how to steer/fly when the sucker is coming at you. It's the skill that's often hardest to learn and the situation most apt to cost you money right off the bat.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM
da Rock

It's truly a shame you don't live down here.

The best and safest method is flying with an experienced flyer on a buddy box. Nothing comes close. No comparison.

But you deal with what you got where you are.

And honest, running an RC car can do a great deal for you. Last time I was in Radio Shack they had some dirt cheap. Just running the demo one would help some. You got a Radio Shack nearby? grin....
Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 PM
keshmiester

Thanks for your swift reply. Haha, yes we do have quite a bit of radio shacks up here. I am a beginner amateur but have a some experience as far as going to the local hoby store and spending some time on the sims. Also, maybe unrelated but I have spent a lot of time on microsoft fsx and xplane 10 real life flight sims. But, my fear is that when I do get the easystar and maiden it, I don't want to end up with costly repairs. So, I will take your advice and look for a experienced flyer. But, as I am new I am not entirely sure where I can find one.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
da Rock

Go to the AMA site and look for clubs in your area. In areas with less dense populations my experience has been the clubs are more than happy to help a newbie. The 3 big cities I lived in had clubs that varied quite a bit in how they dealt with newbies. But no matter, finding an experienced modeler is really worth the searching.

There is a heck of a lot more to learn than just how to push the sticks around.

BTW, I was dead serious about the RC car and how it will help you with the one major problem we have flying a model from a fixed point on the ground. Some people never get the hang of steering when the car/plane is coming at them.

When you do get the hang of it and get your nerves settled down, you are going to find it's an awesome feeling to realize what you're really doing. It really is amazing to be able to fly a model as we do.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 AM
pitts M 12

For a simulator almost any will help such as rc desk pilot and fms. FMS has more models available but RC desk pilot has better graphics and physics

JM

Old 07-17-2012, 11:59 AM
keshmiester

Ok thanks for the advice guys, I decided to jump in and get the phoenix rc sim. We will see how weffective it is. Once again thanks for your help guys.