Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RealFlight 6.5 and a newb like me

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RealFlight 6.5 and a newb like me

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
wwit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RealFlight 6.5 and a newb like me

Hi all.

I just got the RealFlight 6.5 sim and airplane mega pack. Ive wanted to learn RC airplanes forever and figured this would be the best method to learn for now as winter is coming on and most of the local RC airports are quiet until spring when I can get real hands on training.

But one thing I found out very quickly with the sim is that it almost feels like your supposed to know how to fly already. As far as I can tell there is no tutorial that I can find with the sim. So Im basically taking off and crashing fairly quick. Ive skimed thru the 6.5 pdf manual and it doesnt give any hints.

So anyone know of any decentonline sites that maybe just go over the basics? Or is it just best to jump into the deep end and teach myself how to use the sim? Ive tryed the RF sites and they mainly seem to be more technical and hardware troubleshooting than anything else.

I already discovered my first mistake as I accidently ordered the Mode 1 version instead of the USA Mode 2 version. So after that discovery I got a crash course on how to make the easy mechanicalswitch from mode 1 to mode 2. But hopefully I can get a better understanding of this. It is for certain much cheaper to learn while crashing pixalated planes instead of the real ones.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: RealFlight 6.5 and a newb like me

I came across a tutorial right in the software, wwit. I don't have the software with me right now so can't tell you how to exactly get there but try doing a search for "Instructors" within the software.

The software will put you miles ahead when you finally get around to flying for real.

Bob
Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 AM
wwit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I'll keep looking.
ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I came across a tutorial right in the software, wwit. I don't have the software with me right now so can't tell you how to exactly get there but try doing a search for "Instructors" within the software.

The software will put you miles ahead when you finally get around to flying for real.

Bob
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It has exactly what you need. From the top menu (SIMULATION AIRCRAFT etc...)

Select TRAINING (it's between RECORDINGS and VIEW)
Follow the directions.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I teach small classes at a university to learn to fly smaller, electric airplanes and helicopters. You can learn on RealFlight. We have a much older version for our 4 computers. You can learn a lot in a short amount of time with a little structure.

I'm not on my desktop right now for links, but go to knifeedge.com and navigate to the swap pages. A user designed plane called a Vapor is posted for downloading. This is a very realistic model of the real thing that is slow and fun. All of my students start with it using an indoor scenario. It is not intimidating to start flying. You can learn a lot on your own with it.

Typically, my class is musical chairs where I have the Vapor and 3 other airplanes or helicopters on the computers for the 6 students to change around every half hour, or so. They get exposure to the simple Vapor, and then to more complex models. Sometimes, intentionally flying models way past your experience level is good for laughs and for a confidence boost when you don't crash for a while. You will always be learning something.

Hope this helps. You can also hit the 'PM' button by my name and ask me whatever you need to via private messages.

Barry