Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

realflite questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default realflite questions

Hi All

when you set up a special plame (ie:war bird) can you adjust the wing loading and power setings to match your model ?

cheers Bob T
Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: realflite questions

Absolutely!

Better still if you model things properly, simulated planes exhibit the same second order effects you'll see at the field...

Things that you may perceive but never actually quantify on your real RC aircraft...

Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
rt3232

Ok I am a newbeee to R/F6.5 have read thru the help manual a coupla of times, and have not found any referance to how to do it. can you give me a page # that will lead me thru it ?

I also have spent a lot of time just looking at different thngs to see how it works and all ways go back to defalt settings untill I am more comfortable with what I do

Thanks for any help

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
opjose

Your best bet is to head over to the Knife Edge forums.

There is a sticky thread labeled "Physics for true-to-life performace; a Tutorial" in the G3 section that gives you everything you need to know to get you going

Figuring out how to do this is best done with a real plane versus a simulated one.

You can compare the effects of some changes in the sim, and get the emulated plane flying like the real plane.

Once you have the simulated plane behaving exactly like the real plane, modifications in the sim, will accurate depict what will happen if you do the same to the real world plane. This is great for playing around with things that might endanger your real model.

BTW: FAI trimming charts and instructions are fantastic for figuring this stuff out.

The FAI contest trimming charts go into how to figure out if your incidences are wrong, balances are off, etc. etc., etc.. via a series of flight manouvers....

If you apply those same tests to both your real plane and the simulated plane, you can get things exactly the same.

It can take MANY MANY hours worth of effort to get a plane "spot on" but once done the results are amazing. Realflight makes doing this easier and more accurate than any other RC simulator. Not to knock a couple of the other great sims.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM
rt3232

Opjose

Thanks for the info I have been on the knife edge and looked at a lot of threads but did not find what I was looking for. So will try your suggestion
FAI I have been flying R/C for about 50 years (now 81) but just got into war birds ie stand off scale about 3years back and I am having a hard time mastering the landings with both of my big birds, as they are 30 + lbs and we fly off of grass which means tuch downs have to be a lot softer than the normal sport airobatic birds tha I have been flying

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
opjose

I would imagine you will find landing on pavement MUCH easier.

In Realflight I found I needed to increase the wheel rolling resistance to about 200% to emulate the tendancy of warbirds and other scale aircraft to nose over ( e.g. Gee Bee's ).

Grass introduces a lot of drag low on the plane, around the C.G.

Couple that with the higher wing loading requiring faster landing speeds, and you have a nice recipy for difficult landings, ground loops, wing drops, etc.

Land the same plane on pavement or asphalt and that drag is eliminated, so landings are far easier.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
rt3232

With the amount of snow we have still on the ground and the fact the field will have to dry out a bit, I will have time to practice and hope to learn how to use the R/F to it's max

Cheers For now Bob T
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Bob. I just began using RF 6.5 to practice warbird stuff. In particular, the RF P-51 Mustang. The basic sim P-51Mustang seems to behave more like a 3-D plane than my TF model in some respects.

Here’s a short list of things I have changed and reasons.
1. Engine - Reduce the power setting. The sim has a G-45 pulling 26+lb Mustang at over a 100mph in level flight at 4000' ASL. My TF model with a G-62 won’t do that. I have the power setting at 90%. You may want to change the prop and torque curve to get an even better match.
2. Ailerons - Reduce throws. Sim has 30% each way. This rate does about 1 roll/sec. The TF manual setting is about 17% on high rates. Closer to 1 roll/3 seconds.
3. Elevator - Reduce throw to 13%. Similar to aileron settings but not quite as bad.
4. Flap - Increase throw to 45%. The sim has the flap setting at 30%. However the plane still picks up speed when you put the nose down during final approach even with the engine throttled back. I found that I was holding the plane in a nose-up attitude during final, slowly inching the throttle back, and letting the plane settle beginning way out. Looks more like a 3-D plane landing. My TF will tip stall in heartbeat in that nose-up landing attitude. Still working on it, but it looks like an increase in flap throw lets you put the nose down on final with little or no speed increase, then a short flare to land.
re">
As for making the edits, just select the RF Aircraft tab, then the Edit Aircraft selection. From there on pick the piece of the plane, electronics, or radio system you want to change and do it. Its probably easier to just do it rather than look through the manual trying to find it.

Once you get going, there are some nice sim models on the Knife Edge Swap Pages. I downloaded a GS Corsair that I really like.

Brian
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 PM
rt3232

aghost aka Brian

I am flying a G/S T/F corsair and P-47 Both have G-62's. Corsair is first.

I have changed pwr settings to abbout 80% seams ok. The ailerons on low rate are ok as is. also have changed the frame, but that did not give me the change in mass that I want. have not tried to change the flaps yet that's next, and my bird will tip stall in a hart beet both on take off and landings if you don't py attention.

Still playing with it and when I go to knife edge to ask a question my user name is ok but I end up having to get a new password each time system wont rember me [>:] Waiting for a reply by E- mail

I am steep aproches and using more throttle management

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
aghost

Sounds like you have the sim under control. The knife edge site works OK for me.

Have a good day.

Brian
Old 04-11-2013, 06:03 PM
rt3232

aghost

Well back from Toledo and back to work, and just now trying some of the suggestions but as yet no cigar if the weather keeps on like the last 3days, spring may not get hear.

Well back to the R/F to see how bad I can screw it up

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
aghost

Bob: Did you see how to change the weight of the plane?

Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 PM
rt3232

agost
I got a nice e-msil from Lance at knifedge, that basicly tell me to just chsnge all componets, becouse my H/D crashed I no longer have there actual wieght's so I tried just adding 10 % and that did not wotk at all. Will just have to start over. the great thing hrar is it is only coasting me time.
hope this mskes sence s it is 3:30 am and I am up with coffing jag and a soure throught.

Cheers BobT
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 AM
aghost

I found the CG changed when a component weight changed. Just like a real model. You might want to make a note of the starting CG and check it when you are finished.

RF provides a method to adjust the CG without changing a weight or you  can change a component weight.

Brian
Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
aghost

Bob: You did not give any details about adding the 10% weight not working. You may know this but just in case... when you change a model, do a "Save As" and give it a new name. Next time you need to select that model it will show up under a "Custom Aircraft" group.

I don't think RF will let you make a change and save it to their aircraft.

Brian
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
rt3232

Yes I did, 3 different times and still no cigar also tried the C/G thing it helped but not enough. [>:]

But I will keep trying

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-14-2013, 05:20 PM
opjose

If you can point me to the specs for your model, I can create an AV for you that should mimic your plane.

I'll need information on:

Actual RC plane, preferably a URL with all of the ARF/Kit specs, preferably including airfoils used.
Fuel Tank size used
Servos used and where ( to get their weight ).
Engine specs, preferably with static RPM test data for the prop you are using.
Engine fuel consumption.
Retract, struts and wheel weights
Prop size and pitch, and spinner used
Battery packs used and weights.

Any other items that may be adding more than 2oz of weight to the plane.

It also will be very helpful to get info on where your batteries are placed, where your CDI is located, etc... and anything done by you to adjust the or fine tune the C.G. I would also like throw amounts in degrees for all of your control surfaces.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
rt3232

opjose

Ok your on the bird is a T/F G/S Corsair
Wing span 86.5 ''
length from lip of cowl to tail 70''
weight is 30.3 lbs

fwd monent cowl L/E to leading edge of wing is 12''
C/G is 173/8'' aft of L/E cowl or 53/8 aft od wing L/E
Fuel tank is 16 oz centered at the 12'' point over the L/E of the wing

We balanced with the gear up and it is 2 deg,s nose down, and no fuel.

It flies great my problem is on landings due to our grass field you have to tuch down a bit softer than a sport typ bird and 3 point are out of the question it will tip stall and torque roll. That is why I got the sim, I get it down safe but it is not pertty

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: rt3232

opjose

Ok your on the bird is a T/F G/S Corsair
Wing span 86.5 ''
length from lip of cowl to tail 70''
weight is 30.3 lbs

fwd monent cowl L/E to leading edge of wing is 12''
C/G is 173/8'' aft of L/E cowl or 53/8 aft od wing L/E
Fuel tank is 16 oz centered at the 12'' point over the L/E of the wing

We balanced with the gear up and it is 2 deg,s nose down, and no fuel.

It flies great my problem is on landings due to our grass field you have to tuch down a bit softer than a sport typ bird and 3 point are out of the question it will tip stall and torque roll. That is why I got the sim, I get it down safe but it is not pertty

Cheers Bob T
What engine and muffler?

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
rt3232

Sorry about that

It's a G62with a custom 2 port muffler, the stright side has an extenson mounted to the fire wall

Bob T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77418.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1872753  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
opjose

Interesting muffler...

It's mounted inverted, right?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
rt3232

Yes I can send ome outher pic's if it would help ?

Bob T
Old 04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
opjose

No not needed. I just need the weight info which I can look up and the approximate placement.

I'll work on it over the weekend.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM
rt3232

Hi

I aam off from work struggling with a bad cold omd broncitice (spelling) so have not felt good enough to do much but read stuff in the forums.

What ever work for you is great for me and I appericate the help

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
opjose

The wing loading is quite high on that plane... over 40oz/in!

What is the prop size and do you have any static RPM numbers for the prop and engine...

e.g. what does the prop tach to on the ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.