Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

G2 and joystick trouble

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

G2 and joystick trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G2 and joystick trouble

i've just installed G2, but i can't get my joystick to work. i curently don't have a interface but i do have a joystick with throttle. in windows it works perfect, but G2 only regonises the two axis, throttle and rudder it wants on joystick two, so i have half throttle and full rudder
i can't find a setting to make G2 work with my throttle on the joystick, or get them onto keys.
help!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Cactus.

Default RE: G2 and joystick trouble

anyone? or is no one answering because it can't be done
Old 10-01-2003, 03:41 PM
chrisgood
My Feedback: (2)

You can't move the controls to keyboard. You do need a four axis joystick. RealFlight tries to install the drivers to control the RealFlight controller, which is a 4-axis joystick. Look at the joystick under gaming options in the Windows control panel. If you don't see 4 axis, RealFlight will have problems. If you only have three axis and are not worried about rudder, you can fool the computer into thinking you have a fourth axis by soldering on a 50k ohm resistor between that pin and +5. The joystick 15 pin connector pinout is:

1 +5
2 button 1
3 joystick axis 1
4 gnd
5 gnd
6 joystick axis 2
7 button 2
8 +5
9 +5
10 button 3
11 joystick axis 3
12 gnd or midi out (if joystick port is on soundcard, it will be midi out)
13 joystick axis 4
14 button 4
15 +5 or midi in (if joystick port is on soundcard, it will be midi in)

If you only have 3 axis showing in the control panel, and want to fool Windows into thinking you have a fourth axis hooked up, wire a 50k ohm (50 K !) resistor between pin 13 and pins 1,8, or 9. You will the have to uninstall that joystick and make a custom joystick with 4 axis. The 4th axis will always be centered (50k is the center value of the standard 100k potentiometer.)

That 4th axis is usually treated as throttle, so you will also have to create a custom mapping of the joystick functions to surfaces in RealFlight. That custom mapping will depend on how your joystick is set up. Usual:
joystick axis 1 - joystick 1 X - aileron
joystick axis 2 - joystick 1 Y - elevator
joystick axis 3 - joystick 2 X - rudder
joystick axis 4 - joystick 2 Y - throttle

If your throttle axis is connected to joystick axis 3 (pin 11), you have two options:
1. Attach the throttle wire now going to joystick axis 3/pin 11 to joystick axis 4/ pin 13, instead and attach the resisitor to joystick axis 3, pin 11.
2. Attach the resistor to pin 13 and remap the joystick controls in RealFlight. Select "Custom" under Stick Mapping under the Controller Calibration menu, and then use Advanced Setup to pick which sticks go to which surface.

Realize that resistor must be attached to +5 (pins 1,8, or 9) also.

One more option is to buy a 100k potentiometer and solder it in for that fourth axis. That way you can have a fully adjustable fourth axis.

Chris
Old 10-01-2003, 05:03 PM
Cactus.

man, thats not as simple as click here is it
i'm going to get the Ripmax interface soon, this is just a stop gap. for the time being i've edited the controls with no throttle and no rudder thinking i could 1-9 or +- the throttle... nope. half throttle boring drive around.
i know most people wont use the joystick, but it kinda sucks theres no option at all. a sales ploy to make you buy their crappy controler i guess.
interesting to know the pins tho.. gives me the option to make up a unit using an old non working tranny.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 07:31 PM
chrisgood
My Feedback: (2)

Here is a link to a page that shows how to make a controller from a Futaba box:

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/ConstGuide/FSC.html

Enjoy!

Chris
Old 10-02-2003, 05:00 AM
Cactus.