RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Flying sail planes in Real Flight

Old 11-05-2014, 11:49 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Flying sail planes in Real Flight

How do you get sail planes in Real Flight to fly after launching? Mine just drop and I can't think of a way to gain enough speed to keep them flying. I'm probably missing something that will make me feel really dumb, but I can't figure it out.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:38 PM
a70eliminator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Although I'm not a sail plane or glider flyer, I do know that it's all dependent on air currents, some experienced guys are super tuned into the weather, up lifting air currents can be found over asphalt parking lots, also i hear following high soaring birds as a target area to catch up-currents and i'm sure there are other secrets. Once you do catch good air you'll love it, some say they actually have to input some down elevator to escape the grasp of a good updraft.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM
rt3232

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jollypopper

Never tried it on a sim , but way back my flying buddy and I were launching with a Hi-Start (150' of 3/8 surgical Tubing and 500' of 60lb.sest fish line ) we normally used 6 to 8 lp of pull and could get a 600' or more release point.
The weather was uselly 70 deg + with lots of puffy little clouds, with 3 to 8 mph winds, we all ways tried to stay up wind mimic the big birds and fly under the clouds generally There was an up draft in the shadow, we flew from a big sod farm and it was great fun.

Hope this helps

Cheers bob T

Ps on a sim you might have to set the weather conditions.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:10 PM
AllModesR/C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
How do you get sail planes in Real Flight to fly after launching? Mine just drop and I can't think of a way to gain enough speed to keep them flying. I'm probably missing something that will make me feel really dumb, but I can't figure it out.
I have the same problem when I try flying the Bird of Time in RF 7.5.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In order to have lift at your RealFlight flying site, you will need to edit the Environment to enhance the thermal activity. Go to the Environment drop down and look for the Thermal function.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by JollyPopper View Post
It's a good idea to take a look at each glider's trim before launch. The ones that have flaps don't hunt thermals very well with flaps deflected. Some have aileron settings for cruise (hunting) and that affects in different ways.

What glider are you flying?

BTW, my personal opinion is that until graphics and monitors have advanced another couple of levels, glider thermal soaring just isn't in the cards. I've got the best monitor resolution available today and a pc that browns out the neighborhood when it's turned on, and the visibility of gliders in simulators doesn't approach real world resolution. At the field, it is no problem whatsoever reading both pitch and roll attitudes way beyond the distance color goes to greyscale. In the simulators you can't read attitude well at all at 1/10th the distance.

There also is no degree for the thermal settings in my version of RF. They seem to be nowhere close to simulating thermal soaring in the real world.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM
rt3232

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+ 1 on the moding the environment, add some wind

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Hircflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Find a field that has you standing on a cliff. Then toss the glider into the valley.... Have a litte wind hitting you in the face then build up some speed before giving up elevator
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM
Hircflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my RF v 6.5 Buena Vista is the glider field