Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight 8 (RF8)

Old 11-01-2017, 06:49 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real Flight 8 (RF8)

WOW!!
I recently acquired Real Flight 8 and loaded onto my 'puter.
What a hoot!
I have been out of the main loop for a few years as I have started over with kids, married a beautiful (and younger Name:  197.gif
Views: 3195
Size:  482 Bytes ) lady... so have been busy with that. Well... the youngest is getting a bit more independent, so I am burning back into my old ways.... what a way to get back..... with Real Flight 8!!
Tower has some rebate action going on now.....
If you want the Tx included: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGWCM&P=3
or if you still have a controller from a previous version: https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGWCN&P=3
Old 11-01-2017, 06:50 AM
mithrandir

It takes about 6 to 10 minutes to install....
The "Default" airplane when you first start it up is the "Thunderbolt Sbach 35%"....
Real Flight makes it super easy to tweak and modify the default planes.....

Click "Aircraft"... click "EDIT (Name of Active Model Here)" and you can get right into tweaking to your personal preference!!
I moved the CG back an inch, changed the "Vehicle Graphical Scale (%)" to 185 and increased the Elevator deflection to 45 degrees.... (Oh yeah... change the Prop Graphical scale too if you want it to look right!!)

That right there makes the default Sbach pretty dang good!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1080465-4-rf8-001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	730.8 KB
ID:	2243251
Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 AM
mithrandir

And for those who fly Mode 1, Like me, QQ, Hanno, (or any other Mode for that matter)... it is really easy to move the Ratchet, Lever and Spring in the controller, and in the software, you can select under the "Simulation" option, "Select Controller" and then choose "Edit".... a small window pops up and you can assign controls to the various sticks and switches... sort of like the "Function" menu on Futaba radios.....

Name:	a1080467-156-rf8-003.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	752.9 KB
ID:	2243252

Name:	a1080468-125-rf8-004.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	785.6 KB
ID:	2243253

Name:	a1080469-94-rf8-005.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	2243254
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 AM
jdan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RF 8 Problems

Just installed RF 8. Everything went well until I tried to update it. Keep getting Error Message. Reinstalled it several times, same message.
Really disappointed !!.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:25 PM
mithrandir

What error message?
I am s'prised... I usually struggle with software installation... and mine went lickity-split....
Old 11-02-2017, 05:30 PM
jdan

Default RF 8 Problems

The error read "Unrecognized update method". Contacted tech support, that was a joke.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Ryan Douglas

This is a known issue with an easy fix! Don't let it hold you back.

Unfortunately, it seems I am not allowed to post links until I have more posts. Please go to the Knife Edge Software discussion forums and look for the KEError 24052 sticky thread in the RealFlight 8 forum.

Can you please share some more detail about your experience with Technical Support?
Old 11-03-2017, 10:21 AM
jdan

Ryan, Thank you for the info I'll give it a try. The discussion was with a tech named Alex. After I described my problem and read the error word for word. he had me pull up a file with a description
of my system info and asked me to email it to him. When I told him I wasn't familiar with that procedure he told me to find someone with more computer experience until then there was nothing he could do.
I let him know I was very offended by that . I told him I didn't know you had to be a computer genius to download a simple program and that I had already done RF 7 and RF Drone.
Ryan, Thank you for your interest.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Ryan Douglas

Thank you for that info.

Also, hopefully you're already happily running .019 by now, jdan. But if not--and for anyone else who comes along--please note that the solution for this issue is now more user-friendly than when I first posted. My original post on the Knife Edge forums has been edited accordingly.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 PM
Ryan Douglas

Default Link to fix

It looks like I should be able to post this now.

Here is a direct link to the solution:

Online update problems (KEError 21081, KEError 24052) - Knife Edge
Old 11-07-2017, 03:41 AM
jdan

Default RF 8 Problems

Ryan, Fix went well. I also passed it on to a friend, who had the same problem.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 11:19 AM
Ryan Douglas

Great, glad to hear it! Thanks for reporting back.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 PM
abelard

Default Not yet

I'd be delighted to have a good VR setup: the pitiful little FOV you get from a fixed monitor really bursts the "reality bubble" in an RC sim. But the goggles are still in a kludgey stage of development -- dependent on one or more external sensors for head position. Think I'll wait at least one generation for internal sensing.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 AM
CrocEnd

I would be glad to get realfight basic sim to work.It installs on my laptop and pc plays on laptop but not PC It gives thi reason.
Your video card is not able to render 3d images.Then why dose all the other cads and programes ,sims work
Please help or redrict. Cheer's Croc

Last edited by CrocEnd; 02-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:47 PM
CrocEnd

Default Basic

More to the last entry. Realflight Basic
The laptop works great but my gaming and editing machine it dose'nt. It reads this message.
Your video card is not able to render 3D images WHAT the all my other cads,sims editing programs work perfect.
HELP please Cheer's CrocEnd.

Last edited by CrocEnd; 02-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:43 PM
Fookison

What are the improvements from 7.5?
Old 08-20-2018, 05:09 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am now part of the RF-8 crowd. Made my purchase tonight. Should be fun. Crash and crash again and no damage or cost to repair
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Lee Taylor

Loving my sim... this is working for me personally. Post some of your sim vids... good or bad .... it doesn't matter

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 08-29-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Adui

I was considering this sim, or the beginnings of an aircraft (build engine plus new radio gear would have been two to three times my budget) to get back into the hobby. I havent flown in ten years. The guy at the hobby shop assured me 20 +/_ minutes of flight time and it would all come back. I was skeptical so let him talk me out of a blade heli (never flew heli's anyhow) and into this simulator.

1. He was right, it took all of three flights and when Im not hot dogging it beyond my previous skill Im flying, take off to landing without problems.
2. This sim, I got the one with the controller since I have no gear at all, is AWESOME!! I will fly it for the next 6 months to a year till I can afford to begin rebuilding my gear and a new SPAD aircraft to fly (Spadstik was my favorite so Ill likely start there; and yes I am from the dark side )
3. I'll likely continue to fly the sim even after i get a real RC aircraft up but this way i can go at it with relative confidence that I can fly a plane like I once did! (chances are if theres a local flyer available Ill have him or her box me on my first flight to be sure Im getting what I think I am out of the sim)

Bottom line: BEST investment of the remainder of my birthday money I could have made!!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adui
I was considering this sim, or the beginnings of an aircraft (build engine plus new radio gear would have been two to three times my budget) to get back into the hobby. I havent flown in ten years. The guy at the hobby shop assured me 20 +/_ minutes of flight time and it would all come back. I was skeptical so let him talk me out of a blade heli (never flew heli's anyhow) and into this simulator.

1. He was right, it took all of three flights and when Im not hot dogging it beyond my previous skill Im flying, take off to landing without problems.
2. This sim, I got the one with the controller since I have no gear at all, is AWESOME!! I will fly it for the next 6 months to a year till I can afford to begin rebuilding my gear and a new SPAD aircraft to fly (Spadstik was my favorite so Ill likely start there; and yes I am from the dark side )
3. I'll likely continue to fly the sim even after i get a real RC aircraft up but this way i can go at it with relative confidence that I can fly a plane like I once did! (chances are if theres a local flyer available Ill have him or her box me on my first flight to be sure Im getting what I think I am out of the sim)

Bottom line: BEST investment of the remainder of my birthday money I could have made!!
A sim is definitely a great investment and I think you will find that it will be useful even after you have real models and are flying relatively frequently. Practicing skills beyond your current level is one thing that makes a sim useful even after you are regularly flying but I find that I also use mine during bad weather and in particular during the winter to keep my muscle memory up.

Congrats on your purchase. Welcome back to the hobby and enjoy!

Jim
Old 06-06-2019, 02:44 AM
Lee Taylor

Default Flying RF8 and R/C model building

My RF-8 is so satisfying I question the need to go to the expense and trouble of field flying. Regardless of those thoughts I am planning more building and flying in my future

Currently re-building a broken down GP Sportster from the early 80's
Considering purchasing J3 Cub and Edge540
My sweet spot engine wise .45-.90 cubic inch displacement