Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Phoenix gone?

Old 06-06-2018, 07:26 AM
vic1958

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix gone?

Hi all

just loaded Phoenix 3 onto my PC, not used it for years but i can't find their website to update to a newer version like I did last time.
Is Phoenix still going or have they gone?

Thanks

Vic
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

They are still around and strong with models and updates, here is the website: Phoenix model flight simulation :: Welcome
And here links to update your Phoenix sim software to V5.: Phoenix model flight simulation :: Downloads
Old 06-19-2018, 01:09 AM
vic1958

Thanks for your help but I've already tried those links. I can't update to later versions and manual downloads don't work.
It seems like they've shut down and no longer supporting the flight sim.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 AM
ican3d

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Strange, i've just recently help my friend updated his Phoenix simulator 2 days ago through manual download the update file from Phoenix website. We also can download some new models inside the simulator online too without any issues. So both manual and online method works fine on our simulator. Try to check your firewall and etc on your computer.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vic1958
Thanks for your help but I've already tried those links. I can't update to later versions and manual downloads don't work.
It seems like they've shut down and no longer supporting the flight sim.
So reading deeper than what is written, then is not a Phoenix Problem but a problem with your specific computer / installation of the software, correct?

Are you sure you downloaded the correct updates in the correct order? I can't remember the entire procedure right now, but just like you, I have V3 and I remember having to manually download a few of updates, install them correctly, before the software would work again.

I found two places where you could get some information.
hope this helps
Rafael

https://rc.runryder.com/f21p1/?subsection=5
http://everythingcpo.com/cpo/update-phoenix-rc-simulator-version-5/
Old 08-05-2018, 01:53 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting that Phoenix has been discontinued by their only distributor - Horizon.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:51 AM
nheather

Originally Posted by tedsander
Interesting that Phoenix has been discontinued by their only distributor - Horizon.
That’s a shame but coupled with the shrinking of the helicopter hobby it does not come as a huge surprise.

Also I have always been puzzled by their business model. Nice as it is that a customer never has to buy an upgrade, I have always thought it was cutting the potential market.

There are only so many RC helicopter modellers out there, and that has decreased significantly over the last few years. Only a proportion of those will buy a simulator. And once they have bought the simulator, the generous business model means that they can stay updated and never pay Phoenix another penny.

It just seems that the potential income would be reducing all the time until the point that it isn’t enough to sustain the business.

Surprised it survived this long to be honest.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 AM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nheather

That’s a shame but coupled with the shrinking of the helicopter hobby it does not come as a huge surprise.

Also I have always been puzzled by their business model. Nice as it is that a customer never has to buy an upgrade, I have always thought it was cutting the potential market.

There are only so many RC helicopter modellers out there, and that has decreased significantly over the last few years. Only a proportion of those will buy a simulator. And once they have bought the simulator, the generous business model means that they can stay updated and never pay Phoenix another penny.

It just seems that the potential income would be reducing all the time until the point that it isn’t enough to sustain the business.

Surprised it survived this long to be honest.

Cheers,

Nigel
Absolutely agree with your observations. I wish they would continue to build on what they had. It was an excellent piece of simulator software and these days you really don't need much of a distribution chain. Software can be sold as downloads. Personally I would be more than willing to pay for major upgrades and for a new version if the developers released one. I understand they actually had a beta of version 6 that was floating around for awhile.

Either way it would be nice to know what happened to the code base. It is still a very viable and current sim with lots of folks still making models for it.

Jim
Old 12-08-2018, 07:23 AM
Corwin38
My Feedback: (2)

I would appear that the Phoenix website has been completely shutdown. Every page on it says this:
The Phoenix Simulator is now discontinuedThe Phoenix Simulator is no longer under active development, and has been discontinued Worldwide.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 AM
stubaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it really surprising when you can buy a couple of DVDs, plus Multi Sim Dongle plus cables of all 4 Top Flight sims from various outlets for just $8 USD including shipping? I wrote to all 4 companies and informed them of this. Three didn't bother to reply and the one which did wasn't at all concerned because 3 years later, it's still available at $9 USD.. You can't tell me the seller retailing this is making money when just the cables are worth what they're asking for the complete package. The ONLY flight Sim Manufacturer which actively polices piracy is the Maker of X-Plane and I've seen that as a unprotected download.

It appears that even with advancing technology the manufacturer of the Pirated package in China still can't be touched and neither can the retailers. Some of which were openly selling on Ebay. I've often considered buying one of those packages now that I'm living on a disability pension due to my service in Vietnam. I can no longer afford to shell out almost $600 to $700 to keep my flight sims up to date. But rather than sinking low enough to buy pirated software I now no longer update. I'm still playing what I purchased 2 years ago.

I must admit I'm tempted to purchase just one Pirated Flight Sim (Aerofly RC7 Ultimate) due to the way I was treated when having to jump through hoops when I had to re-install it due to a hard drive crash. I was told, after waiting 3 weeks for a new key that I had run out of new keys. SO after doing the right thing and paying through the nose for the sim, if I buy a new computer, a new hard drive or have a valid reason to reinstall it, I can't. So today I can't reinstall Aerofly, Phoenix has shut down and Real Flight put out a new Sim which went backwards in quality.

So blame the Pirates for the state of the Sim world