Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Heli drifting while hovering in G2.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Heli drifting while hovering in G2.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Fissy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli drifting while hovering in G2.

Hello,
I am a very new newbie. No real heli yet, no radio, never done any type of R/C before, just a beginner's book and sim software. I just installed G2 on my new PC

PC:
Athlon XP 1900+
512 Mb PC2700 RAM (DDR333)
GeForce4 4400ti Video
Windows XP OS

I'm having a problem when trying to hover. After I calibrate the USB interface (I'm using the G2 controller) and set the trims, the heli (I'm using the trainer heli w/ crash landing gear) drifts to the right as soon as I get it to the "weightless" state or in the air. The tail is steady, it doesn't bank left/right, it doesn't lean forward/back, it just drifts to the right. I have the weather (wind) set to zero. Is this normal or is there something I can do to fix it.

TIA
Old 05-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Unstable

this is normal for a heli to drift when it lifts off the ground.

due to the tail rotor pushing against the torque of the main rotor it creates side thrust...(depending on the direction of rotation of the main rotor)

right as you get the skids up lean the heli a bit to the side to correct this.

there are plenty of web sites out there that teach the basics of heli aerodynamic (both full size and RC) that should help you out. just do a google search for them and you should find them easy (or others can post here if they know of any off the bat)

also stop in the helicopter forum for any questions you may have... people are always willing to help.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Fissy

If that's the case, I better rethink this helicopter idea. I can't seem to control the stupid thing. Actually I'm half kidding about the rethinking part but man is this hard ! I'll keep trying. Thanks again.
Old 05-05-2002, 12:53 AM
RC_Stunt_Pilot

Ha ha ha, Fissy, Welcome to the reality of our apparently "imperfect" hobby! Sure it is darn difficult! This hobby wouldn't be so interesting and exciting if that were not the case

Give yourself some time with the sim, man! How long have you being using G2? A couple of days maybe? Practice daily and you'll fly decent in one or two months.

I recall thinking the same way the first week I got my ol' Dave Brown Flight Simulator Version 3.1 more than then years ago. But one and a half months later, I went alone to our flying field, took off, made a few loops and rolls, and landed! All in my very first real flight. Have had only one serious crash in more than 5000 flights! And if you take my nickname in consideration (lol) that means that little and ugly sim taught me real well.

Good luck, relax, and have fun....