Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight vs Ripmax RC Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight vs Ripmax RC Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Real Flight vs Ripmax RC Simulator

I've searched for any previous threads about this and came up with nothing.

Can anyone who has used both of these simulators comment on the realism of the flight dynamics of each? Rumors and speculation invited, but someone with experience would be more helpful. I've picked up the Ripmax sim and am having some fun learning how to fly but want to know how useful this will be when, next summer, I send $300 of equipment up into the blue.

(And yes, I will have an instructor--I've been through those threads!)
Old 11-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Wayne Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Real Flight vs Ripmax RC Simulator

Hi,

I've only used the G2 so I can't comment on the Ripmax. However, I noticed that the current issue of Model Airplane News Backyard Flyer (December/January issue) has a review on different flight simulators.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 11-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Time Pilot

Thanks Wayne,

I'll look for the issue and see what it has to say. Something tells me that Ripmax won't make it into that article though. I've read somewhere here that Ripmax no longer supports the product and I don't think a 'serious' article would cover a simulator that won't be around for the long haul.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:53 PM
waterboy

I'm considering purchasing the g2. What can you tell me?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Wayne Miller

Hi Waterboy,

I should give you some background. I'm an old flyer that started flying in the late 60's with "reeds" and then graduated to "proportional". I then spent time on my career and put the hobby on standby while I worked and raised a family. I now have the time, and last year I decided to get back into the hobby. In order to get back in, I wanted to practice and get some "stick time" in without smashing planes. I found out about the flight simulator, and had some original doubts, but the local hobby shop (LHS) had one on display and when I tried it, I liked it.

I'm not sure where you are in ON, but I'm in Kitchener, and willing to show you my flight simulator if you are in the area. I have it loaded on my laptop as well as my home PC.

I very pleased with the G2 flight simulator, at first I had trouble setting it up mainly because I had a poor graphic and sound card in my computer. After I purchased a better graphic card, and learned how to calibrate the controller, I found it very much like flying the real thing.

The flight simulator comes in 2 versions, a light version, with limited settings, and the regular version where you can change almost all the settings on the plane, surroundings (trees or no trees etc.) and the weather (fog, rainbow winds etc.). It even has an "instructor" mode if you choose to use it.

For an example, you can choose to view the plane from the ground or even change the view from the cockpit (I found this useful to scout the terrain around the airport - I kept losing my plane on landing and it turned out there was a valley at the end of the runway). You can select wind direction, steady or gusty, Mode 1 or Mode 2, background music (or chatty spectators).

I found the support very good and you may want to visit their web site to see sample screens.

I was dissappointed that there was no indepth manual in the package, but later found it was available on line and on the CD.

The updates are free, and every once in a while when you start the program, it will ask you if you want to check for the latest update.

I found the original version had a few quirks, but the latest version is very good. The bare-bones system comes with enough planes and helicopters to learn to fly on. The planes are "real" kits available from hobby shops - glow or electric. Most people I know like the "ADD ON NUMBER 3" the best.

The system comes with a controller that you can "fly" on a USB port, or you have the added option of plugging your transmitter into the controller with one of the supplied cables (I know it handles JR and Futaba - don't know which others). The system is pricey, but works very well.

You may want to check the current issue of Model Airplane News Backyard Flyer (December / January issue) it has a review on different flight simulators and rates them. I think the G2 is the standard that most others are rated by.

If you want to send me a direct email, go to the "MEMBERS LIST" at the top of the forum and search for my name. I just purchased a G2 light for a Christmas present and may be able to advise you some of the places where it can be purchased.

I hope the above is what you were looking for.

Best regards,

Wayne Miller
Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Time Pilot

I was at the LHS and purchased that issue of Backyard flyer and would highly NOT recommend it. It won't tell you more than you could read on the manufacture's website and here on RC Universe.

If you feel you need to spend the money, read the article in the shop (it's not very long) and buy something else to keep the owner happy.[8D]
Old 12-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Wayne Miller

Hi Waterboy,

The advise from Penwick is very good, the article is short and does not go in depthj to the diffferent flight simulators. You may want to get the names of the flight simulators from the article and then research them on the web.

Best regards,

Wayne MIller