Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

AFP Serial Cable, Need Help !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AFP Serial Cable, Need Help !

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:40 PM
snakeeater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP Serial Cable, Need Help !

Hello All

I need as much information as I can get, I have beeh having issues with AeroFly Pro. I can't get the software to see my Radio (JR MAX 4), It is not a COM port issue because the software reports no errors. So my theory is that the computer can not see past the "dongle" to the Radio. I think I may have a deffective cable.....

My serial cable Stereo mini plug is connected as follows:

Tip(L) - White Wire
Ring(R)- Bare Wire
Sleeve- No Connection

NOW here is MY problem when I use any standard Stereo/Mono adaptor is connects both the Tip(L) to the Ring(R) (Which is fine when using headphones) BUT NOT when trying to transmit a signal. So how can there be people out there using the adaptor with JR the Radio.....It doesn't make sense

My only conclusion can be (Thus Far) is that I may have gotten a deffective cable, this is where YOU come in

My cable is connecter as follows:

Tip(L) - White wire
Ring(R) - Bare wire
Sleeve - No connection

(Attempt at own risk)

-Unscrew the black plastic stereo mini cover
-Inside you will see Three Solder points
-With the Plug end facing away from you the connection on the left is the TIP(L) & the one on the right is the RING(R), the one that crimps the cable is the SLEEVE.
-Take a look and tell me which one the white wire goes to and which the bare wire goes to

Thank you very much for any assistance you may lend to me

SE
Old 01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: AFP Serial Cable, Need Help !

In case you havent noticed there is a full pc board in the gray 9 pin serial connector and this cable can not be duplicated. Ikarus wont even sell you a new one. You have to call them and send your cable in and they will check it out or replace it. See if anyone else in your area/club has the sim and borrow there cable to see if that is the problem. The pc board may be bad
Old 01-06-2004, 04:49 PM
flysforfun

Here is what I had to do to get AFP working with my JR 378 radio:

Instead of using an adapter, I did a quick soldering job, which is more convienient that adding a longer adapter to the back of the radio (the plug position is on the lower back of the radio, which is already inconvienient for the standard plug.)

In case anyone else has the same issue, the soldering job was pretty easy:

- unscrew the black plastic plug cover from the back of the plug.

- under the cover, you will find three leads corresponding to the upper, middle, and lower (the tip) contacts.

- find the leads for the upper and middle contacts. solder a jumper between these two.

- replace cover and fly!
Old 01-06-2004, 08:41 PM
snakeeater

YEEEESSSSSSSS

OK I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!

Finally after Hours & Hours I got my JR(MAX4) to work on both my desktop(Win200) & Laptop(WinXP). All that I can say is I am going to have to Invoice IPACS for my time (JK)!!

Ok where to start......On my particular radio (JR PROPO MAX 4) I noticed when I plugged in the Stereo mini (Laptop) I saw the red lines flicker for a moment then nothing, this kept going on till I read a post about "JR Radios use ST/MO adaptor" well I didn't have one so I soldered the Ring to the Sleeve (As per flysforfun instructions).......Nothing that's right nothing I lost even the flicker.

So I got to thinking and I realized that any standard off the shelf ST/MO Adaptor shorts the Tip to the Ring (Which in our case is BADDDD). NOTE: My particular cable (Brand New) has the Signal on the Tip & Ground on the Ring (Therefore ST/MO Adaptor=Bad Idea)

NOTE: I Do this for a living do not attempt without guidance.

By this time I was pissed off with my laptop(WinXP) so I did a fresh install on my desktop(Win2000), I opened up my radio and hooked my scope up to it. Then I figured out which wire the signal was on and I placed my probe there. After handling the board I noticed the flickering came back (NOTE: Fresh install). It then became evident to me that my serial cable was loading down the output of my radio, so the solution I cane up with was to use a pull up resistor on the output.........Est Volia

I then moved back to the Laptop (new fix n all) and guess what........Nothing [:@].....Well after my rampage (you can understand my frustration) I said "Hmm Re-install", So I did....That's right, it worked.

So multiple lessons have been learned today
1) In calibration mode if you wiggle the jack and you see flickering: Is good sign
2) JR MAX 4 uses a MONO Jack (Also I have confirmed with JR that all JR's use a MONO Trainer plug)
3) Serial port settings are default
4) If you can get to the calibration srceen without errors then COM link with dongle is ok

5) MOST IMPORTANT: on first start-up of the calibration screen you notice all 12 channels have a red bar (This is good) if you have this move the plug in& out side to side & see if you can get any flickering. What I am trying to say if you press calibrate when you radio isn't hooked up it will reset the red bars (then your F$%&ed), why because I found that when this happens even if I plug in a good Radio nothing happens ( I'm just trying to save you some time that is all). Re install the software.

I have no idea if what I wrote makes sense so post your problems and I will try my best to help you

Please DO NOT go poking around you Radio if you don't know what you're doing

That is all

SE