Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

AeroFly Pro most realistic plane for Torque rolls?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AeroFly Pro most realistic plane for Torque rolls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:09 PM
WRK
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroFly Pro most realistic plane for Torque rolls?

Have been trying different planes in AFP looking for the most realistic torque rolling plane, so far I think the Cap 231 (down loadable from their site) is the most realistic and demanding..... would like to know what others think the most realistic plane for TR'ing is?

Flierbk
Old 01-10-2004, 02:30 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AeroFly Pro most realistic plane for Torque rolls?

I actually prefer the Giles. It seems easier for me. The CAP seemed a little more squirrely but not too much different than the Giles. The Hype 3D is pretty tough.

I must say that AFP is really teaching me to Hover and torque roll. Basically hovering and especially torque rolling for me seems like learning the sticks all over again in different attitudes. Actually much harder than normal attitudes. Does that make sense? For example, I used to think it was tough to fly a plane when it was coming towards you (ailerons reverse). Also I used to think flying inverted was tough (elevator reverses). Well when you're torque rolling and the underside of the plane is towards you, the elevator AND rudder are reversed at the same time. That's my biggest obstacle right now and I'm just about over it. I just lose it half the time instead of every time. It's starting to slowly become 2nd nature and that's a cool thing.

Joe
Old 01-10-2004, 02:27 PM
WRK

Joe,

I think everyone goes through what you are going through, I know it took me quite a while to get kind of good at hovering and I still have a way to go before I do it close to the ground.

What I am noticing with the simulator is that the tail of the plane seems to want to wag like a clock pendumem after you give a rudder correction (when plane is veritcal in hover), more so that doing it in real life at the field wish I knew what to change to modify this behavior.

flierbk
Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 PM
JoeAirPort

flierbk...I was just practicing torque rolls before and I realized something: Everytime it starts to roll and gets about 1/2 way or so through one, the tail starts to go out from underneath me and when I correct with opposite rudder, it stops my torque rolls. I was thinking maybe that I need to give smaller corrections to the rudder before it gets to be too big of an angle. Maybe it's me. I'll keep practicing and see if I can keep the plane's attitude perfect with the rudder while it's rolling. I'm trying to stay off the ailerons while I correct with elevator too.

Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 11:34 AM
kgough

Default Extra 330S?

I also like the Giles.

I am also learning to hover, and I just have to say I'm thankful for AFP.
I am sure I have crashed hundreds of virtual planes already, and I haven't had to break out the CyA, or the covering iron once!

I don't have the expansion pack yet, and I am wondering how does the Extra 330s measure up for 3D flying?

Are there any 3D flyers with the expansion pack who want to comment?

Is the Extra 330S a "must have" 3D plane for AFP?

Ken
Old 01-11-2004, 01:24 PM
JoeAirPort

Default RE: Extra 330S?

I removed my rude post. This is much better.

Joe
Old 01-11-2004, 10:04 PM
WRK

I agree that the tail seems to over react and swing about more than i should but don' know if there is any way to fix it with the comtrol options.

flierbk
Old 01-11-2004, 10:27 PM
JoeAirPort

Yeah me either. I think since I'm finally starting to the hang of it, I'll practice more and see if it's me or AFP. Could it be thrust angle? Rudder trim? CG? I usually trim the rudder by turning the wind off and taxying down the line in the runway. If it follows the line, it's straight.

Joe
Old 01-12-2004, 12:51 AM
JoeAirPort

I'm finding that you really have to stay on the elevator and rudder with small corrections for it to keep rolling. Also trimmed my rudder and that helped a little. It seems like the trims are not as small of increments as a real servo. Anyone else find this to be true?

Joe
Old 01-12-2004, 08:56 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

IMO the extra in the expansion pack is best at TR, very realistic. The cap seems almost too easy but it is a good plane to start learning with. Im no expert but I can get through 2-3 turns now with a real plane (still way tougher than any sim) but I couldnt do any a few months ago before flying the sim. TR ing a small FF is way tougher than the sim because of how sensetive the control surfaces are on a FF but AFPro will get you there It's sure working for me.
The giles TR's pretty well but harriers WAY too easy
Old 01-12-2004, 12:56 PM
kgough

Thanks smallfly-RCU

JoeAirPort - my post was right on topic. torque rolls are a 3D maneuver and the Extra 330S is an AeroFly Pro plane.
Please relax.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 PM
JoeAirPort

Keep in mind that you are comparing a real fun fly to a much bigger sim plane (Giles, CAP 232). Also these planes have been tweeked to do these things well in the sim (TR, harrier, etc). Your FF is not in the ball park as these big 3D setup sim planes. I have a fun fly too and it can't do many things as well as the Giles and CAP. Especially knife edges. Fun fly in a harrier rocks the wings where the sim is pretty stable. I haven't had a day calm enough for ME to torque roll. Been pretty windy.

Of course AFP is still just a sim but a good one at that.

Joe

P.S. kough: re-read that post again. It's much better now.