Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Operating System For G2

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Operating System For G2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:39 PM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operating System For G2

Whats the best operating system for running G2 on. Im upgrading the old beast to get her up to spec and was wondering if Windows 2000 or XP is better for this sim. Ive heard rumors thru the grape vine saying that XP causes a bit of grief but Id rather get people first hand experiences. I know XP is a newer system but the computer will more or less be used mainly for G2. Could you guys also note down what graphic/sound cards (if poss) along with whether a Pentium3 600 is going to do the job good enough without turning off the graphics too much. I dont have a huge amount of money to throw at this so want to do as cost effectivly as poss.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:55 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Operating System For G2

Until recently I used a P3 933 with an Nvdia GeForce2 MX (not exactly cutting edge) running on Windows XP. This system ran G2 with no problems. If you use XP, after installing the program update to the most recent version of G2 before running the program. Some of the earlier versions of G2 did not support XP, but the current versions work with XP fine.

Eric
Old 01-20-2004, 08:37 PM
SeenMCrash

I used to run G2 with a Celeron 600. It actually runs pretty well. XP will make it run a little slower, but you should be ok with a half-decent video card. I was actually getting smooth performance with a 600MHz CPU and integrated video. [X(] Can you run a GeForce FX 5200? I love mine, never had any problems. I think it was around $90, fairly cheap, yet still powerful. The 256MB RAM in the card helps a lot with XP because it's such a memory hog. Good luck, Andrew
Old 01-21-2004, 12:02 AM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

My good friend owns a computor store so I can get most things at cost or something second hand but fairly new. This is the only reason I can afford to upgrade the system. Thats why Im asking what everybody thinks would be the best setup for the least amont of money. I can get my hands on a P3 600 pretty cheap but if its not going to do the job well then I might have to bite the bullet and go P4. I dont want to get everything done and then find once everythings all up and loaded it starts to get all jerky and I have to upgrade again. I know going P4 is better but Im really stretching the $$$$$$$ now!!! I'll end up buying a new video card(which I know nothing about at all!!) so once again recommendations anyone???All of your help is very much appreciated in this matter and peoples personal opinions are very welcome.
Does XP slow it down that much??
Old 01-21-2004, 04:08 PM
SeenMCrash

If you're friend owns a computer store, give him G2's specs and your computer. I vote for the P3 600, then a good 8x AGP video card with some extra RAM. Yes, XP is a RAM hog, and the added memory will help to compensate for XP, and give G2 better performance. Again, if you don't know too much about computers, ask your friend. There are many specifications that need to be matched for hardware to work together. Good luck, Andrew
Old 01-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Elwood
My Feedback: (2)

I would go with a 1 gigger. Never know what G3 will need! 256 ram is minimum, 512 better. And get at least a 64 mb video card. This setup will alllow you to use it for some time without slowing down too much with new software.

Or send me a PM, and I will hook you up with a site to get a 2.6 P4 without OS for about $300 delivered. Then just get Win XP at a computer show!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:40 PM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

Thanks Elwood for the advice. You are right in regards to getting slightly more than you think you will need. Theres always new programs coming out and then you have to start from stratch again. I would love to take you up on your offer for a P4 but unfortunitly I live in New Zealand so I think the shipping costs might be a bit high!!!!!. Apart from that it sound like a good deal.
Cheye
Old 01-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Elwood

You don't need a Dell that bad!

You could also build it yourself. Save a lot, too.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 PM
SeenMCrash

ORIGINAL: Elwood

You don't need a Dell that bad!

You could also build it yourself. Save a lot, too.
Amen to that! For $805 I built my computer for what a Dell would cost for about $1500...
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (only 1.8 GHz [&o]...will have to upgrade soon)
1GB DDR DIMM RAM
nVidea GeForce FX 5200 (256MB)
Soundblaster Live 5.1
DVD Drive
CD-RW Drive
Floppy Drive
80GB Hard Drive
And just a regular ATX case
Yep, $805. Well worth it; much better than a Dell! [X(]
Old 01-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Elwood

Dell Small Business has the PowerEdge PE400SC P4-2.8GHz 800FSB system for $348 after $100 rebate w/ free shipping.

A great foundation. Just add the burner, AGP video and OS after you get it. The server listed above is the Dimension 8300 with a different face plate. Call it $680.