Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Which Simulator is best?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Which Simulator is best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 07:57 AM
dannyspyder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Simulator is best?

Which one does everyone have experience with?
I have a CSM 9.0, but the graphics are not very good, and it won't run no matter what I try on my current machine(IBM A22m,PIII,800mhz,Win98), as I take it with me wherever I go.
So, which one, I am looking at Realflight G2 or the Icarus?
Old 02-14-2004, 08:08 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Which Simulator is best?

Which is best? the one that you actually USE.

All will be useful. Most of the deviation is in the graphics for basic flight practice.

When you get to trying a Heli or 3D.... RipMax's sim is useless. FMS is OK... G2 is not bad at all. Microsoft Flight Sim(MS FS) 1998 is no good for 3d, excelent for Helis... (the newer one should be better for 3D)

That's right you can practice for RC flying with MS FS Put it in Tower view and download any (or alll) of about 25,000 aircraft profiles. SOMETHING is going to match the way your model flies. The DH Tiger Moth profile i downloaded exactly matched my .40 powered Tiger (if I had the model at 2/3 throttle and the sim at full throttle...) The C-182 flies the same as the GP .40 size ARF... there's 4 variants of Fokker Dr1's... one matches my Triplane perfectly (again... throttle diff because the full scale had about 50% the power to weight that this model has)

An advantage of the MS FS... you can have a map view in the corner so you can more easilly get aligned with the runway. (makes up for lost peripheral vision due to the monitor tracking the airplane)
Old 02-14-2004, 11:14 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: FHHuber
An advantage of the MS FS... you can have a map view in the corner so you can more easilly get aligned with the runway. (makes up for lost peripheral vision due to the monitor tracking the airplane)
Don't mean to bash on MS 2004, but those planes are WAY off for 3D and when comparing for RC. However nothing even comes close for realworld scale flying for VFR and IFR flying. Not even most FAA approved flight school simulators. I'm a BIG fan of FS 2004.

With AFP you can have 2 views as well. You can have standard view as your main windown and chase view in your second window in case you get stuck down in a valley or want to line up for the runway like Huber was saying. You can also see it in the video below. You can resize the 2nd window as big as you want.

[link=http://www.flybuder.com/ompalbums/album07/orange.wmv]Video[/link]

It all depends on what you want to do. I've stated my case about AFP and G2. I've been told that some of these sims won't even help you learn 3D which I think is a real joke.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:06 PM
dannyspyder

Thanks for the replies, I am going to the WRAM show and will test/buy one when there. I've spent some years(6) away from flying, so want to get reaquainted to 3D maneuvers first the cheap(no crash) way.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:11 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Hands down Aerofly pro..G2 is good also.

Serge
Old 02-20-2004, 02:35 PM
Ken Morano

Realflight G2 uses a USB interface. That was important to me.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:11 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried both G2 and AFP and I find AFP to be much more realistic. I really like AFP. These are the only good ones I've tried.

Joe
Old 02-20-2004, 04:55 PM
xvwdvw01

I used Cockpit Master with an adaptor for my Hitec radio and it worked great. If you are using it to learn to fly for the first time I think any of the sims that will run would be fine. The important thing is to train your thumbs to respond to the attitude of the plane without having to think about it. I used a buddy system (two radios hooked together) for my first two real flights but it ended up being mostly a precaution because after the hours of sim time it was pretty easy to fly the 40 size trainer.
If you were using it to try different models or learn/test acrobatic manuvers then I am sure the different sim's are good at different things.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:10 PM
TexasOutlaw

AeroFly Pro owns G2. I have been using G2 for several months, I just got AFP and they cant even be compared except in the trainer department. AFP will take you alot further in the long run.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:57 PM
gregw

[link=http://www.reflex-sim.de]Reflex[/link] is the one to get if you're flying Helicopters. I sold my RFG2 after buying Reflex for the simple reason that the physics is significantly better and more realistic.

The current version, v4.02/4.03, will easily run on your PC since I originally had this running on a PIII 500mhz, 512MB, Win98SE, and Riva TNT2 32MB video card. There is a free upgrade to Reflex XTR as well, but this will require much better hardware to run. To see XTR in action, you can download two videos here. You will need DivX 5 to play the videos.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

IMO for 3d G2 NO GOOD. I think the parts that it leaves out are essential for learning how to 3d. The only thing I think it is useful for is learning the planes attitude in a hover and how to correct it with out thinking. Other wise dowloaded aircraft or not its the most unrealistic sim for 3d I have ever used. AFP is absolutly nasty love it cant get enough of it.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 PM
MAWRC 1

Default My 2 cents...

A little history.

I started flying back in 1986. Learned the old traditional way - toss the radio to the instructor if you got into trouble!

After flying for several years, I got Aerochopper and then went to NHP/CSM when it was the hot sim. They were OK but not real feeling and certainly nothing would do 3D - that is no sim would. However, I was 3D'ing with a Morris Su-Do-Khoi & MVVS .40 but nothing like today's extreme version of 3D.

I left the hobby for a few years while my sons raced Motocross. They're done and I got the RC bug again late last year. I figured I would get a sim to get my feel back. I did a lot of research for real feeling simulation and here's the conclusions.

RealFlight G2 was very popular but just didn't feel right. (I got this from many long time RC buddies who are/were users)

Reflex is best for Heli's but planes not as good. Yes, XTR is killer looking. But, I'm 80/20 planes vs. Heli.

AeroFly Pro is best for planes especially 3D style flying. Maybe not as good for heli's as Reflex.

Since planes and 3D realism are most important to me, I went with AFP and don't regret it a bit. It is way better than my earlier sims and the feel is superb. Just the way I remember real RC. I'll be back in the air shortly as soon as I decide which planes to get.

The downside to AFP is that it is going to cost me some serious jack. I love that YAK-55SP - fly it every day! I wanted to wait on a giant scale plane but AFP is making future purchases come sooner.

Regards,

MAWRC 1
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: My 2 cents...

ORIGINAL: MAWRC 1
The downside to AFP is that it is going to cost me some serious jack. I love that YAK-55SP - fly it every day! I wanted to wait on a giant scale plane but AFP is making future purchases come sooner.
Serious Jack is right. It's going to cost you about $7-$8000 to get that Composite ARF Yak 50% flying. More if you want good custom paint job.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Imho

Default RE: My 2 cents...

My preference is AFP followed by G2. G2 has better eye and ear candy but AFP physics is much more realistic and perfect for 3D practice IMHO.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:41 PM
scolpit

i have tryed lots of sims, AFP, G2, FMS, rc-master, etc... for me the best is AFP, really realistic physics (i havent tryed reflex), G2 is OK for normal flights, but not real for 3D
Old 11-04-2004, 02:48 PM
BobbyJackson

I use RC Plane Master. I wasn't willing to put out a lot of money for a sim so I tried to buy the best program (flight characteristics, features, planes, etc.) for the least amout of money. At $39.99 US I am pleased with my purchase.
Bob