Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

AFP - Best Sim ever --nothing comes close

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AFP - Best Sim ever --nothing comes close

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:00 AM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP - Best Sim ever --nothing comes close

Well after reading a bunch on AFP I just had to try it -- I ordered it from www.aeroflypro.com and it arrived in less than 4 days from the day I ordered it. Took it out of the box and installed it and the add-on disk. The installation was easy -- the controller configuration was very simple also.

After flying on AFP for about 2 hours straight I uninstalled my G2 and imediately put it up for sale on Ebay -- I can't believe how much better the flight characteristics are on AFP -- the plane actually fly like real R/C aircraft -- planes hover, and oh yeah try and flatspin anything on G2 -- AFP -- flatspins are performed as you were really at the field flying your own plane. There are tons of extra planes you can download for FREE also (unlike G2).

Anyone who is still flying G2 get yourself a copy of AFP -- you will never use your G2 or any other software again.

Oh did I forget to mention the fact that you can tow gliders up with another plane on AFP -- don't think G2 does that.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: AFP - Best Sim ever --nothing comes close

How much time have you spent on FMS, Reflex, RCFS2000, and RFG2? I am looking for someone who has extensive use of all the sims to do a comparison article for my web page and it would seem that you might be the right person.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:36 PM
IronicRcAv8r

Don't know what rcfs2000 is -- but I havwe used all the others extensively. If you could poing me in the right direction to get the rcfs2000 I would look at it also and write something up for you. I have used all the others quite alot
Old 03-14-2004, 07:25 PM
jldecarlo

Right now, for me, AFP is far from thhe best sim. Unlike G2, which has always been stable and easy to install (if you had enough coumputer), it won't run for me. That is, it will run, but it will not recognize my TX, which is about the same thing.

I am going through steps to try to troubleshoot the problem, but so far without any success.

If I get it to run, I may change my mind, but so far AFP has been like burning three $50 bills, and much more frustrating.

Leonard
Old 03-14-2004, 07:46 PM
STLPilot

What is the problem? Do you have a serial port?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: IronicRcAv8r

Well after reading a bunch on AFP I just had to try it -- I ordered it from www.aeroflypro.com and it arrived in less than 4 days from the day I ordered it. Took it out of the box and installed it and the add-on disk. The installation was easy -- the controller configuration was very simple also.

After flying on AFP for about 2 hours straight I uninstalled my G2 and imediately put it up for sale on Ebay -- I can't believe how much better the flight characteristics are on AFP -- the plane actually fly like real R/C aircraft -- planes hover, and oh yeah try and flatspin anything on G2 -- AFP -- flatspins are performed as you were really at the field flying your own plane. There are tons of extra planes you can download for FREE also (unlike G2).

Anyone who is still flying G2 get yourself a copy of AFP -- you will never use your G2 or any other software again.

Oh did I forget to mention the fact that you can tow gliders up with another plane on AFP -- don't think G2 does that.
Hmmmm............ You ordered it just out of curiosity, eh? Curiously, your website: http://www.flybuder.com/ advertises Aerofly Pro and a 3D Expo sponsored by Ohio Model Planes. What a coincidence. LOL!

OK, I have a question about AFP and RFG2 compatibility. If I desired to buy AFP and install it would it create any type of conflicts with my RFG2? I doubt that I would want to throw away my RFG2 even if I determined AFP was so much better. Because I actually like RFG2 and would probably continue to want to use both. More planes and airports to choose from so why not?
Old 03-14-2004, 08:31 PM
RSands

I too went through similar experiences. Turned out it was the connector wasn't making good contact when seated in the radio. I have to put tension on it to get it to work. Might be my radio, might be the adapter, don't know. I gave the wire a tug, wrapped it around the bottom of the radio, up the front, around the antenna a couple times and it works fine . As far as the comparison between G2 and AFP, I bought it expecting phenominal graphics, and ultra realistic flight performance. The graphics are so so. Some of the G2 fields have way more eye candy, and the plane details are about the same, so G2 gets the nod on graphics imho. The flight performance? Great, much better than G2, but beating G2 isn't all that hard. The Dave Brown sim is probably better than G2 in terms of airplane flight physics. In AFP you can do blenders, flat spins, waterfalls, hover, torque roll, etc. I think it's still too easy though. It gets you much closer to the real thing, but it's still not like going to the field (maybe it's my airplanes? yea, that's it, I need new and better flying planes! ). As far as the rest of it? There isn't much else. The detailed help in G2 is non-existent in AFP. Flight recording, which is very well done in G2, is archaic in AFP. No sound on playback, very rudimentary controls. You can put Mp3's in a folder in AFP, and have them play while flying, but the decoder is so bad that it's not worth using (I use musicmatch jukebox in the brackground, much better, and this works for G2 as well). I miss the on line flying in G2. Makes "sim work" less boring, and you can compare your skills to others, and there are some really good fliers out there you can chat with and pick pointers up from. The gadgets in G2 are also much better. Love that you can bring up a radio display, slow a manuever down and watch what you did right/wrong with the sticks. My only other complaint with AFP? The framerate varies a lot. I'm not sure if this is a OpenGL vs. DirectX thing, but I can go from 175 FPS+ down to under 30 on some scenery, which really effects how the plane flies/handles. It might be my system (GeForce 5700 ultra, AMD 1600 Thundebird, win98se) but in G2, there is much less framerate variation, and my system maintains a decent frame rate no matter how detailed I make the fields. Sounds like I'm knocking AFP, right? Well maybe to a certain extent. It's not as polished as G2 by any means, and having got use to all the features, I miss some of them. Having said that, I have yet to fire G2 up since getting AFP 4 days ago. I'm sure I will, but it will probably be just for the on line stuff in the future. The physics are much better in AFP. G2 has them beat on everything else. Is physics the most important thing, and does it justify dropping G2 and going out and buying AFP? IMHO it depends on how far your skills have advanced, and how far you want to take them (on a sim). G2 will get you through 90% of the skills you may aquire. Some will never want to 3D, and for them G2 is probably a better choice. For the 5 or 10% that the better physics may pay off for, AFP is the way to go. That's my .02, hope it doesn't offend anyone too much!
Old 03-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Kmot

Rick, very concise comparo. Thanks a lot!

So, to answer my root question, you can have AFP and RFG2 loaded on the same computer and it does not cause any software conflicts?

-Tom
Old 03-14-2004, 09:24 PM
IronicRcAv8r

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Hmmmm............ You ordered it just out of curiosity, eh? Curiously, your website: http://www.flybuder.com/ advertises Aerofly Pro and a 3D Expo sponsored by Ohio Model Planes. What a coincidence. LOL!

OK, I have a question about AFP and RFG2 compatibility. If I desired to buy AFP and install it would it create any type of conflicts with my RFG2? I doubt that I would want to throw away my RFG2 even if I determined AFP was so much better. Because I actually like RFG2 and would probably continue to want to use both. More planes and airports to choose from so why not?
Actually FlyBuder is not my website -- it is where I fly -- I host the FlyBuder site on my webserver -- And Yes I had to order it and pay for it -- I can post a scanned image of the cancelled check for any non-believers -- and it is advertised there on FlyBuder -- why -- because it is the best -- I make nothing off of hosting either -- here is another site I host also -- it is my R/C club I belong to www.aero-pilots.com .

As far as installing AFP with G2 -- not a problem -- I installed AFP after my G2 installation -- and all worked fine -- then I removed my G2 -- to me it is a toy -- not even in the same ballpark as AFP.

**Oh I also do the picture hosting for OMP and I paid FULL price for my 47" OMP Edge 540 -- I do not mind paying for anything thats worthwhile -- Buy AFP and a OMP plane -- you won't be disappointed -- I love both of them !!!!

** The above boasts about OMP and AFP were non-paid, and of my own free will. I was not harmed or pressured, nor reimbursed in any way for the above statements.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Kmot
Rick, very concise comparo. Thanks a lot!
So, to answer my root question, you can have AFP and RFG2 loaded on the same computer and it does not cause any software conflicts?
-Tom
No it will not cause conflicts. In fact you can use your G2 controller as your 1st or 2nd joystick for 1 or 2 player mode.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:09 PM
jldecarlo

I have a serial port, which I haven't used in over a year. I bought a cheap (<$10) serial mouse today to test the port. I use a 9z, but I also have a 9c, so I may pick up the adaptor for it if I can't get the ZAP to work.

I really bought it for the better 3D physics and for the OMP downloadable planes. I guess the frustration is included at no extra cost.

Leonard
Old 03-15-2004, 12:14 AM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

No it will not cause conflicts. In fact you can use your G2 controller as your 1st or 2nd joystick for 1 or 2 player mode.
Cool. I will probably get AFP as well. I like G2 but I have flown all the planes at all the fields so a few more choices is what I am looking for. Thanks!

-Tom
Old 03-15-2004, 07:22 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: jldecarlo

I have a serial port, which I haven't used in over a year. I bought a cheap (<$10) serial mouse today to test the port. I use a 9z, but I also have a 9c, so I may pick up the adaptor for it if I can't get the ZAP to work.

I really bought it for the better 3D physics and for the OMP downloadable planes. I guess the frustration is included at no extra cost.

Leonard
Well if you bought it from aeroflypro.com give me a call, we offer free tech support 8am to 9pm CST for all our customers. Also Live Chat if you don't want to pay for the call. Or if you want, email me your phone number and I can call you back.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
kcflyboy2
My Feedback: (1)

I had the same problem. It won't run on the serial port. It has to be plugged into a game port or a usb port. I bought a joystick to usb adapter at Radio Shack ($18) and it works fine now. AFP should come with usb ends in my opinion.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: kcflyboy2
I had the same problem. It won't run on the serial port. It has to be plugged into a game port or a usb port. I bought a joystick to usb adapter at Radio Shack ($18) and it works fine now. AFP should come with usb ends in my opinion.
If you can get AFP to work off using a USB to Gameport for you Commander and you have the 9 Pin cable plugged in, then it's working fine. This means it's a radio or setup issue if you are trying to use your own radio.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:51 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I read this wrong? Can you use AFP with the G2 controller? You just need a USB to serial port adapter?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:55 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Deadeye
Can you use AFP with the G2 controller? You just need a USB to serial port adapter?
Yes, yes.

If you do not have a 9 Pin serial you need one. Either a USB to 9 Pin serial or a 9 Pin serial card.

We have listed exactly what you need on the AFP forums at www.aeroflypro.com/forum just look in the Installation & Configuration topic. We have pics and links where to buy.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Abraxxas

I have them both and fly Aerofly much more precise and correct for 3D flying, hovering, flat spins, aileron control while hovering and fully stalled to mention a couple of Aeroflys strong-points, but as many have said, for a pilot who doesnt 3D I find all the fields on G2 much more pleasant to look at... the fields on Aerofly feel small and crowded, there are none with a nice clear horizon that isnt cluttered with mountains or hills or ships or buildings. For just flying around G2 is awesome, G2 is good for even some 3D... but when it comes to all out 3D and nothing but... Aerofly takes it all the way. And yes, the Realflight controller does work fine with Aerofly, you just have to be sure to plug in your Aerofly serial interface because the program requires it be there for the program to work, even if you're not using it... plug it in and throw the cord behind the desk. Leave your G2 controller plugged into the USB port and go into settings on Aerofly and configure it as a joystick. And make sure your Realflight controller is configured in your windows control panel too and is a recognized controller. I also wish Aerofly had an online flying option like G2, that is so much fun and one reason for me to keep G2.

Brian
Old 03-15-2004, 11:23 PM
jldecarlo

Well if you bought it from aeroflypro.com give me a call, we offer free tech support 8am to 9pm CST for all our customers. Also Live Chat if you don't want to pay for the call. Or if you want, email me your phone number and I can call you back.
I bought it through the OMP website.

We have listed exactly what you need on the AFP forums at www.aeroflypro.com/forum just look in the Installation & Configuration topic.
I think I will try the forum this weekend when I have more time.

Leonard
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Are many of you guys comparing the stock planes on G2 or the set-ups off the web page? For 3D practice some of the downloadable setups are very accurate for learning purposes. At some point you actually have to go out to the field and fly the real thing.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
At some point you actually have to go out to the field and fly the real thing.
Try AFP sometime if you get a chance. The only thing that is missing from being at the field is the constant complaining and whining.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

There is no substitute for flying at the field.But aerofly is a pretty darn close simulation.I have both G2 and Aerofilght pro.G2 is good but Aeroflight is better.IMO.I like the fact that I can use my radio withall the mixes and switches.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:48 PM
mupchu

I cannot believe anyone would even say G2 is ok for just flying around with a strait face. Sure the graphics are pretty but flight physics are pretty far off, especially if you add a little wind. Let me illustrate my issues with G2.

I own a GP Tracer, and I used to own G2 and expansion #3 (the one that included the tracer in it). One of the big reasons i got G2 was because it looked easy to install, and it had my plane simed.

At the field where I fly we usually have at least a 5 mph wind going. When i land my plane it comes in nice and slow, almost like a trainer. The elevators on the tracer (as with most aerobat's) is fairly sensitive and it's fairly easy to snap a loop rather than make a nice clean line.

On G2 the elevators are not really all that sensitive; You really can;t snap the plane because you were hard on the elevator. Other than that it fly's fairly true to the original, that is of course with no wind dialed into the settings (more on that in a second). When you come in for a landing it's always fast, and doesn;t seem to want to slow down at all. Ok so i look at the weather perameters . . . ah i need to add in some wind and thermals (because otherwise it drops like a rock). So i add in a little thermal, and 5mph of wind. When i come in for a landing the plane cannot pernetrate the wind and hovers rather than lands. It was about as far from the real thing as i could imagine. After 2 hours of tweaking the weather pattern it almost landed like the real thing, except it was with 1mph of wind and a ton of thermals almost nothing like real life. After 2 hours of tweaking it almost worked correctly, and the settings have to change with other aircraft to get then performing correctly also. I am not a 3d pilot but the stall characteristics of the planes in G2 just seems off. Running through spins and such i could get most performing ok, although flat spins don;t seem to work on stock aircraft.

What i generally find is G2 in it's stock condition is not realistic at all, but you can tweak it to make it almost bearable if you ignore the values you are typing in. It does not handle wind and stall speeds well, nor does it simulate aerobatics well at the edges of the envelope (not just 3d). Certain planes do fly better than others, although i have never owned a P-38 to verify. Some planes do fly like they are big, and as a general rule in G2 the bigger planes fly better (as in closer to the real thing). G2 is better than all the free sim's on the market but not by much. You'll learn control reversal, and you can work on stick movements but not much else. The multi-player feature is nice and lots of fun, however it just makes G2 more of what it is: a game , and not a simulation at all.

I sold my copy of G2 and am looking for something else, because simply put I have other games on my PC that are more fun, and if I want a simulation G2 isn;t even close.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Unstable

a few reasons why I like AFP.

3D .. what can I say... im a Pro Bro.
Radio config. EVERY CHANNEL is able to be reasigned... the problem I have now is I have run out of channels on my 9C for everything I want. but I have flaperon mixing spolierons and everything I want.
Slope soaring. yes you can do it in AFP. select the desert scene. put the pilot up on the hill to the right.. add 2m/s wind and grab a sail plane... you will get lift from the wind coming up the hill.

some things I want. in AFP.
multiplayer...
smoke doesnt react to wind... it reacts to propwash but not wind.
better engine sounds. (yeah I can insert my own with a bit of work but I am lazy)
engine cut offs and more TWINS want to practice my engine out flight with twins other multis.

some things that would be nice in AFP.
radio configs acording to plane selected. would be nice to have smoke setup on one plane and have it for only brakes on the jets and still have it the hook on the tow planes...
selectable failures.. like g2 with servos failing and such. AFP has "radio reliability" but its not the same.
random weather (starts off calm but winds and such can develope during flight or as defined by user.)

all in all I really like AFP and has helped me get my "fix" this winter. havent touched G2 in a while but I might just for flying with friends in multi (if I can get my new computer working )
Old 03-16-2004, 04:01 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Lets not get away from the fact that these are SIMULATORS not to be confused to the real thing and that different people out there have different reasons for using them. I think as far as graphic quality, BASIC flight characteristics and an over abundance of aircraft G2 is a fantastic simulator. However it is has very very limited aerobatic & 3d capabilities IMO no matter what plane you use downloaded or not. If you say the downloaded planes 3d like no other than I say great but in real life they do not posses the same characteristics. they do not float like that, nor do they pop up in 2 inches with no throttle at all. I said to myself if real flight developed planes that supposedly fly like the real thing stock from the program then I should be able to hover one of those stock aircraft with some minor adjustments and I mean minor 3d throws on the control surfaces and some expo. Thats it no other mods at all. I got pretty damn good at the Edge 540 stock and was pretty happy. I mean hovering in 7 mph wind at 6 !QUOT! off the deck while torque rolling. I was sooo disappointed to see the difference at the real field and how I had it all wrong and so did RF. The only thing I can accredit RF for was the planes attitude in a hover how to put in corrections with out thinking. It taught me nothing of how real the plane would react in a hover how quickly it would fall off and how if at all easy it would jump back to the sweet spot if I lost it. Try to stop a TR on G2 with the ailerons you cant, the program is incapable of recognizing what prop wash is. All of those little differences in the program need to be either corrected or just taken like it is and used as a trainer for people who do not or are not interested in 3D flying. If you are learning to fly need to get the basics down want to fly a war bird or mess with some jets I think its one of the best simulator's out there. But as far as teaching you realism in 3D downloaded planes or not its no good. AFP is da bomb nothing like taking a plane from the program stock set ups and flying it like a true 3d machine and hearing all of these reviews from top 3d pilots that the only thing better is the wind in your face the smell of fuel and a good ol fashion pucker. Otherwise you are flying a real aircraft. I do suspect RF isn't going to put up with these reviews for long probably come out with some expansion patch to fix all of the glitches in there programing to make it a truly 3d program, just my opinion I have no inside info but RF reviews suck to all of us potential and expert 3d flyers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.