Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Interfacing FMS with a JR Radio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Interfacing FMS with a JR Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:17 PM
scubyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interfacing FMS with a JR Radio

hi guys,

i want to get more flight experience in my off time. flying with the keyboard is not the same for me, so I want a way to connect my radio to the computer and use it to fly the virtual models.

does anyone know who makes such interfaces?

thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:15 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Interfacing FMS with a JR Radio

scubyfan,

Please don't make a typical beginner's mistake--buying an FMS-only interface!

FMS, like some other freeware and commercial sims, supports different interfaces:
1) the cheapest one-transistor serial- and parallel-port cables (cost $5 to build, work w/o problems in Windows 9x only) - FMS only!

2) so-called "PIC interface" - connects to a serial port and uses a proprietary data exchange protocol, which was originally implemented in FMS and later adopted by a couple of other sims

3) Universal joystick interface - connects transmitter to a game port or USB connector and presents the TX as a virtual Windows joystick; can be used with any software accepting joystick input (from non-Interlink versions of RealFlight, including RealFlight G2, to MS Flight Simulators and Combat Flight Simulators, BF 1943, X-Planes, IL-2, etc.). USB incarnation of such joystick interface even works on Mac.

In the long run, only universal interfaces, a game port or a USB one, make a wise investment. I've got my USB interface from www.milehighwings.com and never had any problems with it: flying RF G2, AeroFLY Pro, and a bunch of other sims.

I hope you find this info helpful.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:39 AM
scubyfan

Thanks, that seems to be the ticket!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:45 PM
EAP
My Feedback: (1)

I bought the Cable from Milehighwings for JR to connect to FMS via the serial port. By the time it arrived I got a sweet deal on Real Flight G2 on ebay, so I bought it, If your interested in the cable I will sell it? It's just collecting dust in my desk...

send me a PM if interested.