Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Another frame rate question for AFP

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Another frame rate question for AFP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
spre0042

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another frame rate question for AFP

Nobody wants to reply to my other post. Please, if any body has any advice, I'd like to hear it. I'd like to know if I need a better video card or if my problem is something else. What kind of frame rates are people running AFP on labtops getting, and what kind of graphics card are those folks using?

I have a pentium 4 with 256 Mb ram
with ATI mobility radeon 7500 video card with 32 Mb

Please tell me if the following sounds too slow for my setup. I get a frame rate that dips into the teens even for the less complex sceneries. However, it sometimes is as high as 70 FPS. I can't even fly the more complex OMP planes because the screen looks like it is in slow motion. Is this just a problem with my video card? I'd like to know what other people are getting with similar settups, or even with other settups, to get an idea of how my frame rate compares.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:07 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Another frame rate question for AFP

spre, your setup seems OK with me. In fact I am using a more "primitive" card GEForce4 MX440 and I'm getting a fps of 80-100, but with less demanding sceneries e.g. monument valley. Do you have any programs or spyware running in the background ? They can take up a lot of resources. You need to disable all of those. Also try using a simpler scenery without any clouds, trees, etc. Let me know how this works for you.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:27 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Whoa
Looks like we have a new Moderator here at RCU!
Best of luck Rajul.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:28 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Stomper ! Just lending a helping hand..........
Old 06-02-2004, 10:23 AM
pache11
My Feedback: (6)

Disabling anti-virus, esp Norton can pick up frame rate quite a bit. Keep killing unneccesary processes in the task manager. Keep windows startup items to a bare minimum, or in extreme cases use a "clean" boot partition just for games and flight sims.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:19 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

Droping your color depth to 16 bit will also help a lot. I pretty much doubled my frame rate that way. Everything looks the same if you don't use smoke...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:02 PM
spre0042

I had my color already at 16 bit. It sounds like my graphics card should be OK. I might just need more RAM. Thanks guys.

Any other replies to get a better idea of what other people are getting would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:48 PM
RSands

Reason for edit: Missed the laptop thing 1st time around. May not apply:

Had a similar problem with my PC, 256MB ram on a AMD @ 1.6, with a decent Radeon card with 32MB (older card though). A 5700Ultra fixed the problem (128MB vid ram). Can now run the complex sites at 1024x768+ with no hesitation and decent frame rates. Do what these guys suggested, make sure you've got the latest sound & vid drivers and divx is up to snuff, but the 32MB vid ram may be the issue, and your just seeing a temporary lag when it has to load new maps to the card.