Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Realflight Crashes on Startup in Windows XP

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Realflight Crashes on Startup in Windows XP

Old 06-13-2004, 10:22 AM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Realflight Crashes on Startup in Windows XP

I've been using RealFlight For over a year now, but I have recently developed a problem and cannot run the program anymore. When I start Realflight, I get an error message that says Windows encountered a problem and needs to close. When I investigate it says the problem is with an hid.dll file. I replaced this file and still no luck. Called Realflight and they were not much help. They said is sounds like a Windows problem. I am not having trouble starting any other probrams but this one. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe its time to switch to AFP.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 06-13-2004, 12:49 PM
intermix

Default RE: Realflight Crashes on Startup in Windows XP

99.9% of problems with Real Flight stem from their use of cd copy protection. They use the safedisc 2 copy protection scheme which uses errors on the disc (Which most CD copiers won't reproduce) also makes it hit or miss for some CDrom players to read. I have two pc's and a laptop. The laptop DVD drive has no problems with the G2 discs, while both of my desktops refuse to read the discs.

Since RealFlight essentially requires the RC controller, it would seem that detection of this controller as copy protection scheme would be enough, but maybe a hardware crack is easier to produce and therefore more dangerous than the disc copy protection. As they say, it keeps the honest people honest.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 PM
MemoryJack

If you haven't already, try un-installing and re-installing the software. This will often fix problems of that nature because the corrupt file(s) will be replaced with a valid copy from the cdrom as it installs, and registry entries will be recreated. It may not fix it, but it is easy to try and costs nothing.

good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Columbo

Thanks for the reply guys. I did uninstall and reinstall the software. Still no luck.

Greg
Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Do you need your disk in the drive to run G2? I had to return my disk for a replacement at one point, but have not had problem since downloading the upgrade which does not require the disk to run.

Carl
Old 06-17-2004, 03:59 PM
Columbo

Carl,

No I don't need the disk to run it. Sometimes when I reinstall it, it will run, but most of the time it won't. I have already
ordered AFP. I am giving my Realflight to my daughter. It seems to work o.k. on here computer. Strange though, I have
been running this program for alost 2 years now. This is the first time something like this has developed, and I can't seem
to solve it.

Greg
Old 06-17-2004, 05:16 PM
cfossa

Greg,

The hid.dll is a Windows USB driver file. So, it is part of the operating system, and not part of RealFlight. But, if this file is corrupted you will have problems with G2 finding the USB controller.

Have you recently installed anything that could have changed your USB drivers? FWIW, I have had the best luck using the "restore" feature of windows to undo unwanted driver changes. You can restore to a previus date at which you knew the system was working correctly.

I know this is frustrating, but the problem is likely not with Realflight G2, but with the USB drivers in your operating system. Do a google search for "hid.dll" and you will see that lots of folks have problems with this driver because of other programs installing over the existing driver.

Good luck.

Carl
Old 06-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Columbo

Thanks Carl,

I did reinstall the hid.dll file from a source that I trusted. Still no dice. I agree it probably is some file that
either is corrupted or got installed over the original one. I might try restoring the machine to a previous
state; however AFP is supposed to arrive at my door tomorrow. If it works fine then I will be happy. My
daughter gets the realflight. Have you tried AFP? If so how do you like it compared to realflight. I fly
mostly 3D, and realflight is o.k. provided you have the right plane setup. But, I hear AFP is much better
for 3D practice.

Greg
Old 06-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Columbo

Here is a video of some planes doing 3D in realflight that I made several
months ago. As I said in the previous post, 3D in realflight is o.k. provided
you have the right plane and the right setup. The plane is the extra freestyle
(SD) by kyle Wyoshins. The last plane in the video is the CAP 232 2X with
the alitalia scheme. It harriers just like my H9 80" cap if you increase the wing
chord. Very stable. You can donwload them from realflight's home page.

http://www.thedials.net/Greg_files/R...t/3DGaggle.MPG

Greg
Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 PM
cfossa

Greg,

I have not tried AFP, but am considering picking up a copy. I'd like ot hear what you think after flying both.

Carl
Old 06-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Columbo

Carl,

I'll let you know in a few days how I think this sim compares to realflight.

Greg