Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Aerofly Pro wind and turbulence

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Aerofly Pro wind and turbulence

Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Mikerjf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerofly Pro wind and turbulence

What's a realistic setting for wind and turbulence. I'm using the Hype and would like to setup AFP to reflect the actual maximums the plane can handle (90 degree crosswind and turbulence).

Mike
Old 06-29-2004, 12:00 PM
cummings66

Default RE: Aerofly Pro wind and turbulence

While I can't tell you the values you need, I'll tell you how to get them.

Enter a value for the wind of say 10 and see if the rudder will keep the airplane pointed straight down the runway without drifting sideways (ailerons correct drift, rudder keeps it straight). If it does then go to 20, 30 etc. When you find the plane either won't point straight down the runway or it drifts sideways with the controls at their locks then that's the max. You will find the number by playing the high low game.

For turbulence, that's all a pilot skill level thing, not what a plane will handle because I don't think a typical model will come apart in turbulence if it's well built. Set it next and if "you" can't handle it them bump it down a bit.

The thing to consider is that in real life you'll land in winds higher than the plane can handle. For example my CAP will get into crosswinds that I can't counter using normal rudder/aileron corrections so I land into the wind crossways to the runway. It's going to stop quick enough anyhow because it's got a slow ground speed when that happens.

Turbulence is the harder thing to handle because the plane is bouncing around so much and is a handful, but you just watch the throttle and use it as needed.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a good idea to keep those up for practice. I just keep tweekeing them until it's like at the field. 10-20 mph winds and some turbulance. I think mine is at 1.9.

Just for fun, turn the wind speed all the way up and try to fly stright and level. Then try to land. I was able to land a few times. Takes a lot of stick control. Good practice.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM
cummings66

I turned it all the way up and matched your turbulence and tried it out. I could land it without crashing most of the time, and when it did crash it seems that it was due to a prop strike.

I have flown in 23 mph winds and I don't think it's accurately modeled in the sim. I would say that the way the model acts in the air right up to the point where it touches is realistic and is a good means to practice flying under those conditions, it's just not as hard as what the sim makes it out to be. At least for me I don't think it's hard.

What's fun is to try several waterfalls in a row and watch how far it blows you away from the start.