Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

AFP questions (beginner)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AFP questions (beginner)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:53 PM
bayHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFP questions (beginner)

I posted the same questions on another site. I hope to get more help on AFP here. Thanks!

I have been looking at several RC helicopter forums for the past several months. Most of you guys recommend a beginner to start with a flight simulator. Therefore, I brought the Aerofly Pro software with game commander last week. Flying a RC helicopter is really difficult!!
[:@]

Can someone answer the following questions for me?

1) The helicopter will go full throttle as soon as it start, and the left control stick on my game commander is used to control the pitch only. In other words, the RPM is fix. Is it the case in real RC helicopter?

2) As soon as the helicopter is lift off the ground, it will go all over the place. I have to move the right stick constantly to keep it control (avoid crashing). Is it normal in the real RC helicopter.

3) There is a red button in the game commander, and I assigned it for autorotation. It did not do anything to the helicopter when I pressed it during the flight. The manual does not say how to setup for autorotation.
I did not use the expert setup mode for the joystick because I am not an expert .

4) The raptor model in AFP is very unstable. Is it true for the real raptor. I am thinking about buying a raptor 50 in the near future. Hopefully soon!! If my wife let me buy it!!!

Thanks for your help
Old 08-23-2004, 09:05 PM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: AFP questions (beginner)

I had the same experience with G2 when I was first starting, and decided that maybe a plane was better to start with than a helicopter.

Stick with it and it will eventually just "click." Keep practicing tail in hovers ... you will crash a ton and one day it will just work. Personally, I don't see how anyone learned to fly helis before simulators

Good luck,

Carl
Old 08-24-2004, 12:00 PM
arunob
My Feedback: (1)

Try turning the simulation rate down to about 50% and then crank it up as you become proficient at the lower rates until you reach 100%. Works for me!

My understanding is that the throttle on the radio only controls collective - anything past midway applies positive collective and below midpoint applies negative collective (for flying upside down). You may need to apply trim to keep the tail steady while hovering.

Hope my limited knowledge helps.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:31 AM
Spacey

Doesn't AFP have the option for two "flight modes" if you will which you can assighn to one of your switches. I am a 95% sure I have something like that configured. Can't remember how but go check out your channel assighnments and stuff. Sorry I am stuck at work now and will only be able to tell you how tommorow. It is rather difficult to hover the heli when it's in "idle up 2" if you will with the engine at virtually full throttle the whole time and you only controlling pitch. If you give me 24 hours from this post I should be able to give you the solution.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 AM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Yes you can change from collective pitch to fixed pitch depending on your likeness. Button # 3 for me is set up for auto rotation. If I set up for collective pitch then the middle of my throttle setting is neutral. The blades even though are spinning full are not pitched so the heli stays put. When you throttle up it pitches the blades to create lift and the more you push the faster up it goes. The oposite will pitch the blade the other way flip the heli upside down and pull down full on the throttle it will hover or climb while inverted. If you dont it will fire down to the ground like a rock. The fixed pitch setting will throttle up to full rpms on the engine but not the rotor blades and until you push on the throttle stick it will sit there on the ground your throttle positon will be all the way down instead of in the middle like the collective pitch setting. If you are new to helis then yes the sim is going to be very unstable for you almost like there are some settings that are off. Mainly because unlike planes that can fly without rudder you need to have complete control over all 4 movements of the sticks and you cannot over react or over correct or it will crash. I am by far not a heli expert but I have messed with them enough to fly em and get them to go where I point them. Hope this helps. Good Luck.