Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Beginner needed Simulator? Which One?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Beginner needed Simulator? Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 05:56 PM
fscott729
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner needed Simulator? Which One?

Hi Pilots,
I am just starting out and would appreciate any advice on a flight sim. program. I have an extra transmitter I can use for the controller. All I need to buy is the interface wire. I downloaded FMS but was not too impressed. Being new at it and little time on it since at that time all I used was the keyboad is not a fair judgement so exclude that statement all of you FMS flyers. Just let me know what do you think...FMS, RFlight G2, or Aerofly Pro and your reason. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hope to buy this week,
Frank
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Beginner needed Simulator? Which One?

I'm kind of surprised that you don't like FMS. I guess that I have to ask, why you didn't like it. That could potentially make a difference in what people may recommend. Until then, I'll offer my suggestions.

RFG2 - I've never tried it. It seems like it doesn't get many favorable reviews here; primarily from those people who have tried it & compared it to the others that you have mentioned.

AFP - Highly regarded by many, especially those who like 3D. I have it & like it very much.

Reflex XTR - You didn't mention this one. I've never tried it, but it too is highly regarded by many here. I believe that it's slightly more expensive than AFP.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:17 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Realflight is a good program and mostly gets bashed by the AFP fans. I learned to fly with very little help and I can say that Real Flight is what truly got me over the dumb thumbs. Its a little pricey but could easily save you a plane. No its not good at 3D but it is a great simulator. But I always return to it when I want to learn a new manuever.

With that said, whatever the simulator, its great to have at least one of them to practice with.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:51 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

I just set up my AFP and have been practicing on it and i have to say that it is a good sim compared to FMS and the model i was flying was fairly close to how my UCD flies which is what i was looking for...there's nothing wrong with FMS considering it's free and it did help me understand how the plane is going to react when it was coming towards me..it's not good for 3D but it is good to learn on if 3D isn't what you're looking for.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:27 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My goal was to learn enough to get my GWS Slow Stick up and down in one piece without the aid of a seasoned flyer.

I went cheap and got RC Simulator from Tower for about $15. You need a game pad that has joy sticks or can get some kind of interface. I just used a game pad.

I spent a lot of time on it and it taught me enough to have a very successful first flight.

If my intent was to learn to fly glo planes by myself, I would have probably gone to one of the name brand sims.

I guess you've heard that there is a new version of Realflight to be sold soon. What that means, though, is anyones guess!
Old 09-15-2004, 09:11 AM
KLRico

For what its worth...

As far as physics, I think G2 is slightly better at simulating forward flight and AFP far better at simulating 3D flight.

As far as the little details go, I like how the aircraft in AFP break apart when you crash, and how the rotors change pitch when static and flex when in rotation.

As far as sound goes, I think G2 is signifigantly more realistic.