Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Pre-Flight?? Is it any good?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Pre-Flight?? Is it any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 10:05 PM
fscott729
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pre-Flight?? Is it any good?

Hi,
Does anyone know if Pre-Flight software that I see advertised on this web site and others is any good? How well does it work compared to FMS or the software put out by simblaster? I understand that Pre-Flight works with a pin that plugs into the microphone socket on your computer or soundcard and was wondering just how good will this work. I know that most of the better simulators work off USB connections and was just curious if anyone of you have tried or know anything about how good this Pre-Flight software is at trying to learn to fly.
Thanks...Frank
Old 09-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Pre-Flight?? Is it any good?

I downloaded a demo and wasn't that impressed. I could only use a joystick for elev and ailer, and had to use the keyboard for throttle and rud. The graphics were decent, but the sound kinda sucked. It would be alright to learn with. It would teach you the basics like orientation and control, but it isn't as good as the expensive ones. I probably would like it better if I could control the planes with a transmitter.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:42 AM
fscott729
My Feedback: (1)

The demo only allows two actual controls via a joystick. To use all controls with your own transmitter I am told you need the full program software.
Thanks for your post.

Frank
Old 09-24-2004, 09:24 PM
FreeFlier

... or you could search for the earlier version - 1.95, I think; it was available somewhere on the web within the last year - though not on the Pre-Flight site. V 1.95 will allow 4-axis control with a USB interface, or others I'm not personally familiar with, but it may not perform as well as the current version; I've only had experience with 1.95. Others with more interface knowledge may be able to provide more info in this area.
The sim is certainly different from the others - freeware - in its look as well as its flight physics; in some ways quite different. But the newer models, and particularly the last two photorealistic sceneries, are definitely better, and if you can find the earlier version, it certainly is worth the "price".
I think though for flight training, particularly the "reversal of control direction", which must be learned early-on, FMS is likely to be the best - if freeware is of importance. If not, then get the best you can, and enjoy the "eye-candy" while learning.
Stew
Old 09-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Semi Retired Aviator

It's OK when it works. I've had it for about a year, and mostly it's just too much trouble. It's cheap enough, but a deal that doesn't work isn't worth anything.

I thought the graphics were quite good, but the microphone interface causes a lot of problems, or it did for me. I seemed to be forever fiddling with it, and even had the creator send me an updated version along with several different resistance cables, but I still have problems with the microphone interface. I emailed back and forth with him for weeks trying to get it right, but it never did come up to speed.

I just went out and bought a Real Flight. Incidentally, Pre Flight uses some of the same models as Real Flight, same colours etc.

Good luck.