Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
G3 physics are greatly improved over G2
31.75%
G3 physics feel identical to G2
3.17%
G3 physics are improved for 3D but overall are not what you hoped.
34.92%
G3 physics have become worse than G2.
30.16%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

G3 Physics Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Matt Merciez
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G3 Physics Thoughts

Please only reply to this poll if you currenlty have the retail version of G3 and have played with the sim. Please do NOT use this poll to bash G3 for their rebate program or to state your love for another SIM.

The poll question is simple. What is your initial impression of the G3 physics engine?
Old 11-27-2004, 03:56 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Default RE: G3 Physics Thoughts

I think g3 is overrated and overpriced software...
Old 12-10-2004, 04:36 PM
NE0
My Feedback: (9)

G3 physics suck compared to G2. Most planes fly very heavy, snap way too easily and stall under 2/3 throttle. Lousy for anyone but the high-level pilot and not any fun for even the skilled. Torque effects are also overblown. Giant scale 3D planes won't even do a straight upline without torque pulling them away and lack of power causing them to fall out of the climb. FunFly planes are certainly no fun... they're like trying to fly a helicopter IMHO.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:59 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I like the G3 and these are my thoughts.
(1) I like the overall inproovement in the G3 version, The control rates are way too sensitive even on Low rate. On High rate it's a challenge to even hold a hover.
(2) The sound effects are much better, you can even hear the air wistle when the landing gear is down.
(3) I wish the plane editing modification on G3 was more like G2.
(4) The shadowing and wheathering is greatly inprooved.
I guess all in all I like the G3 and it will take a little getting used to.
NEDYOB
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have only got to put five or six hours in with my G3, but I think the physics are much improved over G2. There are some bugs that need to be addressed. They have been discussed in other threads. The tendency to tip stall, the phantom pot holes in the runway, and the weird gyrations of the wreckage after a crash are the three I notice the most.

Eric
Old 12-11-2004, 12:16 AM
r1derbike

I give the sound A+ all around.
Flight Physics: Taxiing, Break-Apart, Collision, Flying Parameters all need work.
Graphics amazing @ hi-res.
Wind/cloud modeling excellent.
No other controller will work with G3 on its own with a USB interface, because of serial numbering/registration, that locks-out other interfaces; a pathetic inconvenience if your interlink controller goes belly-up.

This sim was not quite ready for prime time yet.

See my review @RealFlight Discussion Board.

Charles
Old 12-11-2004, 09:35 AM
jhimmel

Charles,
I saw your analysis at the RealFlight (KE) discussion board.
You did a great job of summing up the current state of G3.
If KE is smart, they will focus on the issues you raised. Addressing those specific issues would stop 95% of what people are complaining about with G3. It would be a whole new ballgame.

Jim H.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I was real excited to try out G3... I own Reflex XTR and really like it a lot... but G3 made so many promises that were attractive.

It has been an extremely disappointing experience... is it improved over G2? You bet... is it even int he class of XTR or Aerofly Pro? Not even close.

The "new" physics are not realistic to me at all... even the worst profile plane I've ever flown would fly slow and fairly effortlessly... not so with the funfly on G3...

The Yak is easier to hover out of the box, but G2's modified CAP was better. All in all I thought the planes snapped way to easily, didn't float like they should have and were simply unrealistic in flight. Even the training articles showing the excellent pilot Frank Knoll show him working hard to make the plane do what it should.

Reflex XTR is by far a superoir simulator, and I'd easily take Aerofly Pro over it too (tho I haven't seen the new version of AFP Deluxe)

One thing I really DID like about G3 was the sloping. Very nice.

All in all it was easy to see that it was rushed to get out for this Christmas buying season... it's somewhat unstable, buggy, and clumsy. Most every stock aerobatic plane is simply unrealistic and I didn't enjoy one minute of it with the excpetin of sloap soaring.

Just one person's opinon.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:41 PM
lockjaw-express
My Feedback: (36)

All,

I have had G2 now G3. I am very disapointed with G3, that is why I bought Reflex XTR. XTR is a better RC simulator, however there are not many planes to fly. On XTR I would like to have the CUB, CW CUB, Stryker F27, BVM F86, and More electric and gas planes that are commericialy available. I am waiting for AFP Deluxe that I bought from OMP, as soon as I receive it, I will be able to give my views on all three. So far XTR has my vote.

BR, MarkC
Old 12-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Maudib

Hi Mark,

You should visit http://www.rc-sim.de/index_en.htm

They have quite a few freely downloadable aircraft for Reflex XTR... Some VERY nice models... including a Funtana, a couple extras, several jets, shockflyers, and much more... I've had a ball with them...

In addition, if you don't have the 4.03 update you should get it too... either from the above site or from reflex's site... it adds a GREAT indoor gym to fly in and you can fly behind the backboards... way cool....

These two screengrabs are of the new gym site... and for those of you who don't have XTR... this is a real screengrab from XTR... this is the most amazing realistic looking AND flying sim I've tried to date.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18060.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	202849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53733.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	202850  
Old 12-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Maudib

I decided to add another little video to my Reflex XTR fan site...

It's a 2 meg video showing the indoor flying and some amazing realistic flying in the balcony in front of then behind objects...

It's simply awesome...

See the link to it half way down the page here: http://renderwurx.com/rc/reflexxtr/

You will swear it's real video... but it's actual footage from the simulator!

-David
Old 12-16-2004, 09:21 PM
micagreenmachin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a chance to try G3 and AFPD at the hobbyshop today back to back. To me, AFPD won hands down, that's where I'll be spending my money. I tried the christen eagle on AFPD and it does inverted flat-spins identical to my skybolt.

The physics in G3 are better than in G2, but with all the hype, I would have thought it should have been much better. AFPD started to feel real after a few minutes.

Todd
Old 02-20-2005, 09:21 PM
dbenkirane

can you use the interlink controller from g2 to work for g3 if you can please email me how at [email protected]
Old 02-20-2005, 11:22 PM
frontman

[quote]ORIGINAL: dbenkirane

can you use the interlink controller from g2 to work for g3 if you can please email me how at [email protected]

Only the G3 interlink will work with G3. It would be nice if Knife Edge and Great Planes would offer other packages. I have G3 and it's not to bad. It does have some issues like tip stalls which kinda bothers me. I think G3 is a diamond in the rough just waiting to shine. I'm also hoping that the developer will release a model making program like Gmax. I would like to see some Sig aircraft available, and not just aircraft afiliated with Great Planes.