Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Playstation /XBox RC flight simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Playstation /XBox RC flight simulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:25 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Playstation /XBox RC flight simulator

I was just thinking. Why has no one come out with a flight sim for the the playstation or X Box? This would be a GREAT platform for a flight simulator program. They could mfg. a special controller that would interface with the game station and you could fly on your Big Screen TV or whatever tv size you have... Not only that but you could probably sell the heck out of them, not only to RC pilots but also to kids and gamers all over the world looking for something new and different. Just seems like it would be a huge hit and if marketed in mass should be a big moneymaker....

Has anyone ever heard of this being considered, or could anyone explain if it has been deemed impracticle???
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Playstation /XBox RC flight simulator

There was a RC heli game for Playstation 1 and I rented it once. It was a sim and it had games like busting balloons and flying through hoops. It was pretty good but I don't think it took off. Would certainly be feasible as the game controllers have 2 mini joysticks.....but I wouldn't purchase it over one of the current sims on PC...and kids like much more violent games....
Old 12-13-2004, 06:49 PM
BrotherBjork
My Feedback: (60)

If there was a way we (rcu) could get a petition together and send it out to game devs they might see the light... Just say we get 5000 people saying they'd pay $50 for a good console port of an existing sim or something new, better? Just an idea.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Cody-RCU

RC Stunt Copter for PS1 was awesome. That game kicked insane amounts of ass.

Anyway, nobody has a console sim because:

1. Connecting your TX to the console would require expensive licensed cables, rather than the cheap ones that will work with any PC and can be made for pennies. PS1 and 2 controllers are similar to a RC TX, but they lack precision.

2. RC Sim software is expensive to develop, and nobody would pay 200$ for an Xbox game. GTA and such is only 50$ because millions of copies are sold. Porting games from one console to another is also expensive, and most people only own one console.

3. Creating new airplanes and set-ups is much easier with a keyboard and they can be easily sent over the internet.

4. Most modelers don't own a console, but most do own a computer.

5. Big Screen TV's are nice, but they are expensive. A computer monitor can usually display at up to 1200x1600, whereas most TV's don't get any better than 640x480. It would be harder to see the plane.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:05 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

The first move that would have to be made is to see the flight sims on the shelves at Comp USA and Best Buy.

THEN if the console people saw a big sell through, then maybe they would consider it. However until the name QQ Somenzini is as big as Tiger Woods or Dale Jr, I don't see it happening this for many years to come.

Biggest problem with Xbox and PS2 is not even cost of production or demand ... it's licensing and costs of licensing. Sony or Xbox will not just license to anyone, they have tight control over who can produce and how it will look and play. You have to qualify and the qualification terms, you also need to have about $10 million in the bank ready for production before they will even talk to you. Plus they will only license a product that has a mass media demand. They don't want to license a flop ... doesn't look good.

RC is too niche. That is why we have PC's. It's open to anyone from FMS to AFP and everything in between.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:45 AM
BillK

I have asked the FMS authors several times to let me port FMS to the Xbox. I don't think it would take that much work. They have never responded to my emails or posts on their board. There's a couple other flight sims that have the source available but if I was going to do the work FMS would be the one I would want to port.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:09 PM
DARKFLY

i have that r/c stuntcopter for my ps1 it's fun but iam not sure it's like a sim or a game. i play it with my analog controler so it's clse to the real thing and that guy on there is ruthless, every time u make a mistake or crash he has some smart ass thing to say well i guess thats half the fun.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Most "real" gamers don't waste their time with PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, etc... the graphics suck compared to a good high end PC. I play on a 1600x1200 resolution screen that has 5 times the pixel resolution and color depth of even the best TV - add to it full sound and the experience raises the heart rate.

To me the game consoles are "arcade quality" at best. Now most of you would probably argue that they are pretty good, but see a hirez display on a gamer's PC and you will understand (and see) the difference. I do like connecting the Xbox to a projector though and putting up on the wall... THAT is pretty cool at get-togethers, etc.

Since its mostly kids and some adults (that are not computer freaks) that own the game consoles, that market is VERY limited for RC flight sim.
It quite frankly would be a waste of time. As someone else said, most of us own PCs, many of us don't own a game console. ... (well, OK I have an XBOX).

Most anyone who likes to game, especially us hard core gamers - will do it on a high end PC if they can afford it (they ain't cheap) PCs have much better flexibility and the ability to "tweak" the hardware and software to your applications + they can be updated to take advantage of new games and software.

The game consoles are cool (self contained, portable, etc) but they have their limits, and the are very expensive to port code over to.
On the other end, it is not unusual to drop $2K+ on a high end state of the art PC either...

DP
Old 12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
famousdave

BillK - isn't the XBOX a POWER PC multithread processor (i.e. not a P4, etc) and at least a 64 bit architecture? The PS2 I know is (dual 64 MT) which would make code transport nearly impossible.

Wouldn't that mean extensive rework to any PC app (i.e. 32 Bit) .. I would think a total rewrite would be easier ???

I never looked at what it would take to move a PC app to a console...
DP
Old 12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
BillK

ORIGINAL: desertpig

BillK - isn't the XBOX a POWER PC multithread processor (i.e. not a P4, etc) and at least a 64 bit architecture? The PS2 I know is (dual 64 MT) which would make code transport nearly impossible.

Wouldn't that mean extensive rework to any PC app (i.e. 32 Bit) .. I would think a total rewrite would be easier ???

I never looked at what it would take to move a PC app to a console...
DP
The Xbox has a Pentium 3 (a bit different from a standard pentium 3) 800 mhz processor. The graphics system is Direct X. To compile Xbox apps you need .Net and the SDK. Most of the work would be controller input changes to support the Xbox analogs. Of course an off the shelf Xbox can't run homebrew apps you would need it modified first. All the popular computer and old video game system emulators have already been ported to the Xbox.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:53 PM
famousdave

Ahh.. that makes sense.. I know the Xbox2 is way different. I guess that is what I was thinking about.

DP
Old 12-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Sokhar

this might be a bit off topic here but there is a easy way to use your Sim on your TV

I have a 46" rear projection HDtv it will display 800x600 and I play many games on it it is not as nice as my monitor wich runs 1280x1024 but its nice to sit on the couch and play/show off LOL

all you need is a pc near the TV ( I have a HTPC I built from old parts I had kicking around) and you need a USB extension cord 12' and a Video card that outputs Svideo then all you do is connect the Svideo cable to the TV then set the tv up as a clone of your main monitor in windows so it displays what your monitor does only at 800x600 insted of 1280x1024 and sit back and play its that easy

note

for the new sims this might not work because of the system specs needed to play them you would need a pretty good HTpc step up or move you main box closer