Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Pay it forward Thread.. The payoff report :)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Pay it forward Thread.. The payoff report :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 04:38 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pay it forward Thread.. The payoff report :)

Ok, For those of you who know about the "pay it forward" thread in the beginners forum, its a thread where we share the generosity that has been shown to us by giving our excess to those in need in some way.
Well I put a request out for a used real flight setup for a friend/fellow rc pilot who was in a motorcycle accident and rendered paralyzed totally from the waist down,, and partially from the neck to waist with a little mobility in his arms and hands,,,, and someone quickly responded...[8D]

Yesterday I received the package, a complete realfight G2 setup with USB controller in the box with all the instructions and everything, just like new. This morning I loaded it on my PC and tried it out, this afternoon I delivered it to my friend and we installed it on his PC, loaded on the 1st try and we were running in less than 5 minutes.

We got him setup so that he could manage the controller from his wheelchair and lo behold he can still fly!! It cumbersome and he is going to have to try to figure out the best way to situate his hands but nonetheless he can still takeoff and fly reasonably well.

Its going to take some work to get him comfortable on the sticks because he has to use the fatty part of his hand just below the thumb, and his hands sortof get in the way of each other but none the less he was able to takeoff and make a few laps once he was able to get a decent hand position. He has some control of his hands but has no sense of touch or sensitivity to pain and we immediately saw that there will be a challenge to watch his hands and make sure he doest wear the skin off because he cant feel how hard he is pudhing against the sticks. He basically sets his hands on the sticks and moves them with his forearms. He may get some isotoner gloves and just cut the fingers out and tape up those pointy ends of his sticks.

Either way he is back in the air and can actually fly again, which was a pleasant surprise right off the bat. He wasnt sure if he could control the sticks at all. But he can,, well enough to fly around pretty handily. This should really help some to rehabilitate his hand eye coordination and he hopes things like this will eventually enable him to get back out there and not only fly, but be able to do his job as an electrical engineer again.

Again, Thank you so much John (blenderblender) for your generous contribution. You have made someone VERY happy.

Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 07:32 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pay it forward Thread.. The payoff report :)

[sm=thumbup.gif] Great job guys ! This is the true spirit and meaning of Christmas...........