Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

REALFLIGHT G3 BUYER WARNING!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

REALFLIGHT G3 BUYER WARNING!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:15 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REALFLIGHT G3 BUYER WARNING!!

I purchased yesterday "Realflight G3" and have had the following [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3065753#post3065753]RESULTS[/link]

Please do alot of research using the internet before you choose to break the seal on the box (once you do the software is un-returnable)

System specs:

525watt PSU
ASUS P4P800 mobo
P4 3.0
1gig HyperX ram
Radeon 9800pro
Audigy2
Dell 2001FP lcd screen
Win XPpro service pack2
Old 12-23-2004, 01:56 PM
S E Repton

Default RE: REALFLIGHT G3 BUYER WARNING!!

Hi Peefiddyonefan,

I too had the same problem on installation, I then downloaded the latest driver from the NVIDIA website for my graphics card (even though I was convinced I had the latest one) and it now works great! The heli's are awesome.

Try it, it's worth a go.

Good Luck,

Sheridan
Old 12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Thanks for the idea -but I have an ATi card and it already has the latest drivers.

ORIGINAL: bigbubba

Hi Peefiddyonefan,

I too had the same problem on installation, I then downloaded the latest driver from the NVIDIA website for my graphics card (even though I was convinced I had the latest one) and it now works great! The heli's are awesome.

Try it, it's worth a go.

Good Luck,

Sheridan
Old 12-23-2004, 02:16 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

G3 stinks... try AFPD or XTR once and you will never even look at G3 again...
G3 is still in Beta mode... at your expense!

DP
Old 12-23-2004, 02:30 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

I dont see why it will not work on your computer. Although i do not own G3 I do have AFPD and i am using an ATI 9200 and it works great. make sure you goto the ATI website and check your driver. an ATI 9800 pro should be good for most applications if not all.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:33 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

I agree it should run really good on my PC.

ORIGINAL: pauluk2w

I dont see why it will not work on your computer. Although i do not own G3 I do have AFPD and i am using an ATI 9200 and it works great. make sure you goto the ATI website and check your driver. an ATI 9800 pro should be good for most applications if not all.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

At this point in time I have to agree w/you.

Unfortunately (for me) I spent like $219.99+tax on G3 so I won't be getting anything else real soon.

Would it be wrong for me to try and sell this software?

I feel like such an idiot -caught in all of the hype -should've waited -did more homework etc..

ORIGINAL: desertpig

G3 stinks... try AFPD or XTR once and you will never even look at G3 again...
G3 is still in Beta mode... at your expense!

DP
Old 12-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Since you had to install and uninstall,I would try cleaning your registry. Remember to save a copy of your original before you do anything. This tool from:http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm works quite well. Give it a try and see what happens. Also, doing a disc cleanup and defrag (use the advice from http://www.blackviper.com) might help as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:19 PM
tukkus
My Feedback: (2)

peefiddyonefan...first off the resolution you are using is set way to high....1600x1200 is the MAX setting that it will go NOT the native resolution. I think the native resolution is about 1200x 1000 or something close to that. you should check the manual and find the native resolution and it's not 1600x1200.

Try turning the AA and AF off and while keeping those two off at the same time try using different drivers and see what happens.

Another thing is how many programs do u have running while G3 is also running...press ctr/alt/delete and a window will come up and let you know how many programs are running.

Is your computer free of spyware/viruses...do a check up on your comp.when you get a chance.

With the computer you have you shouldn't have any problem running that sim, my best guess is that you have some kind of issue with the settings hardware/software.

FYI... lcd's aren't going to give you the best images for games/sims because they aren't as advanced as crt's but i'm sure they'll be good enough for most people.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:00 PM
tahustvedt

tukkus, the Dell 2001FP is a 20" monitor and the native resolution is 1600x1200. You're thinking of 17-19" monitors which have a native resolution of 1280x1024.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:27 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

peefiddyonefan,

I have the same monitor, same graphics card, and almost the same computer. (P4 3.4, 2GB RAM) Like you I have installed the updates, including helicopters. Unlike you my G3 is running fine.

I am a long way from being knowledgeable enough about computers to offer advice, but considering the similarity of our set ups and that mine is working, it would appear that the problem may be on your end.

Eric
Old 12-24-2004, 12:00 AM
lockjaw-express
My Feedback: (36)

peefiddyonefan,

I agree with you on G3. They have a long way to go. I think what GP did was to mass advertise realistic planes, realtime 3d, and realtime 3d background. This was a complete disaster because they let sale get ahead of the product development. I own all 3 of the big name simulators (G3, AFPD, and Reflex XTR) and as far as I am concerned AFPD did the same as G3. I think at this point XTR is the best product on the market right now, followed by AFPD, and then G3.

I have been in the computer field for a long time, and what hurts the product more is having a vendor over-hype their product!!! GP with G3 has been the worst.

I really do believe that G3 will be on par with the other products in time, but in the meantime we kinda suffer because we spend the money. I think that because we spend $200.00 for a simulator wich is 4x times the price of other game simulators, we should expect more.

The bottom line is that all three are very useful, however I like them both. G3 really need a fast computer to run, and computers and graphics cards are still too slow. Period!!! XTR and AFPD are within the technology for both laptops and PC's, but for heli flying with a photographic look buy XTR, AFPD is also an awsome too. Just different.

Just my point of view.

BR, MarkC
Old 12-24-2004, 09:42 AM
r1derbike

I have to agree that this sim was "not-ready-for-prime-time". Collision mapping is ridiculous (hover 10 feet above the house center @ realflight ranch, and your plane hits an invisible object, this is just one of dozens of collision mapping problems...taxiing, ground physics is comical at times too).

Besides the above issues, the add-ons cost a lot (I bought them all for G3), and you can't use any other controller if the one supplied goes TU.

Lots of eye candy, though, but begs for a high-end gaming computer for max enjoyment.

The more you use the sim, the more you like it, however, but rushing-to-market with known problems was a mistake.

Frankly, I like the sim, but would not buy it again, yet, knowing what I know now.

Charles
Old 12-24-2004, 10:54 AM
mikersx02

ORIGINAL: peefiddyonefan

I purchased yesterday "Realflight G3" and have had the following [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3065753#post3065753]RESULTS[/link]

Please do alot of research using the internet before you choose to break the seal on the box (once you do the software is un-returnable)

System specs:

525watt PSU
ASUS P4P800 mobo
P4 3.0
1gig HyperX ram
Radeon 9800pro
Audigy2
Dell 2001FP lcd screen
Win XPpro service pack2
Peefiddyonefan-

Dont take this the wrong way, but you really cant blame the developer for your computer not working right. I have a VERY similiar setup as yourself.

P4c800 delux
2.8 P4 with HT
1.0 Gig of ram (ddr of course)
Nvidia 6800gt from gigabyte (with the heat pipe)
NEC 19'' FP912sb

Similiar as in the same manufacturer lines in the products that matter.

Your problem is almost 100% dirty install errors. IE, meaning, you are LOADED with spyware no doubt... (go to www.ad-aware.com) and download ad-aware and run it in SAFE MODE. Go to audigy.com and nvidia.com and download the latest drivers for the sound and vid cards. GO to asus.com/tw or whatever and get the latest bios flash and drivers...

GO TO intel.com and get the latest chipset drivers.. (this REALLY makes a big difference if your having problems)

But honestly... I would only do all of this if you reinstall your computer first. Its always a good idea to do this at least once a year (start from scratch)

But you could try updating EVERYTHING first, and if that doesnt work, then back up your data, and break out the WINXP disk.

-----------

I am really impressed with G3. People complain about the physics, but they have the physics on the default level. I noticed a BIG difference once I put it on the "highest" settings.

About one of the only complaints is of the lack of free airplanes.

I was really impressed about their system of estimating your systems power and setting up automatically in the graphical settings and options. Its was pretty close to what I would have set it up myself. Good job RF!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:56 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell your G3 on E*Bay and buy the AFP Deluxe. You will have no problems selling it.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:46 PM
vikram

I am a current user of G2 and just bought the G3. While I still like the G2 , I am beginning to appreciate the G3 . I am sure there is a lot of debugging and fine tuning that will be required as in all new software but I feel that the platform is great.

G3 as expected puts far greater demand on the computer system than G2. I had to chose low settings for graphics quality to get acceptable frame rate (free of jerky transition). I have not been able to simulate gusty conditions through turbulence layer settings. Also can't get the shadow of the plane . I am not able to figure out how to minimize real flight G3 if I have to do some other work on my computer.

I wonder if I will be able to use the add ons 1 , 2 ,3 &4 that I already have . I have not been able to load Real flight Add on 1 which I bought with my G2 . I have not tried loading the other Add ons (2 , 3 ,4 ) yet.

Seems like we cannot change the color scheme of the model in G3 as of now . I am eagerly awaiting an upgrade to enable change of color scheme.

I am loving the Sierra Nevada terrain especially Buena Vista and the Cliff . Flying the Hawk (is it the simulation of a live Hawk ?! ) and the Mistral sailplane there is like dream !

I like the way a model actually breaks on a crash and also how the structure of the aircraft actually fails when sustained stress acts on it for a while .

I am sure Real Flight will get over with the minor glitches with the live updates that they provide and I am sure that the journey from G2 to the G3 will be exciting ! Though I am holding on to G2 for some more time !

I do wish that Real flight G3 would be able to accept the Interlink controller of G2 so that my son and I could fly together on the same screen and in the same field !
Old 12-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Cougar-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

vikram,

I wonder if I will be able to use the add ons 1 , 2 ,3 &4 that I already have, (and 5)
---(YES) they ALL work---

I do wish that Real flight G3 would be able to accept the Interlink controller of G2
---(YES) you can.. works great---

Jeff
Old 12-25-2004, 09:52 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

my kids busted busted my controller for my G2, can i buy a USB adapter somewhere so i can use my JR transmitter to run it. help please
Old 12-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

Not knowing how broken your controller is, as long as it's not a wiring problem, just select the interface mode instead of joystick.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:00 PM
RCToon

peefiddyonefan

That screen shot error you posted, I used to get when I fire up Microsoft Excel as well.
Also my notebook would not connect into my office network and give a similar error.
Once I reinstalled XP, the various drivers, and SP2 from scratch all the problems disappeared.

I think G3 is being un-necessarily bashed in this forum...
Old 12-25-2004, 02:02 PM
zorro57

I recieved Mine about a week ago and have not had any problems except running the mulitiplayer mode, I have a P4 3.0 ghz running at 800mhz fsb 200 g hard drive 512 m ddr ram AtI radeon 9700, water cooled system with audigy. One thing I have found that with alot of the newer software coming out on the market, you cannot partition you hard twice, meaning alot of software will not run on a 200 gbit hard drive partitioned to two 100 gbit hard drives. most people do not know this, as I had to learn it on my own.
As far as the Realflight G3 I love it, I downloaded the new helicopter upgrade and man is it great I cant wait for the next upgrade to allow you to make new colorschemes.[8D]
Old 12-26-2004, 04:53 AM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Well I decided to format and re-install winXppro (btw I had no virus/spyware issues and Xp had only been installed about 3mos -all drivers/bios were current).
I have re-installed G3 to the C drive and updated it and it now runs and after a few hours of testing has only crashed once. Here are the problems I am having now, AntiAliasing does not work -it worked the first time I ran the program and the sim looked really good but it is jaggy city again, also another problem is that every time I start the sim it sets the resolution to 1600x1200x16bit. I have to manually change it to 1600x1200x32bit every time I play or else frame rate drop to unplayable levels. On the ground taxiing frame rates are in the low20's then sudddenly jump to 75-100fps after I take-off. I could live w/this sim if only AA would work, I really like to use AA on all my games and have gotten quite used to it, the planes look terrible IMO with no AA. I saw what they look like w/AA set at 6x and the difference was amazing! The native resolution on a Dell2001FP is 1600x1200 and thing get worse if I try playing at any other resolution

Is any one else using a Radeon 9800pro and having AA problems?? I am using the latest cat4.12 drivers.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:37 AM
jhimmel

Well, I found that I had to adjust my video card settings to get AA back on.
Also, I'm pretty sure that your frame rates jump after taking off because it is easier to render the sky than it is the ground.
I have G3 working okay. I do need to update my hardware for better performance.

My two biggest complaints right now -
1 - High Rates setting is unusable. Just pull back on the elevator and watch the bizarre reaction of the aircraft when high rates is switched on.
2 - Crashing into invisible objects. Tree branches extend invisibly into the sky.

Jim H.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:48 AM
Leety

ORIGINAL: jhimmel

My two biggest complaints right now -
1 - High Rates setting is unusable. Just pull back on the elevator and watch the bizarre reaction of the aircraft when high rates is switched on.
2 - Crashing into invisible objects. Tree branches extend invisibly into the sky.

Jim H.

High rates takes some getting use to for me.
I seem to do okay with the yak on high rates all the time.
except when you give it alot of elevator, it seems to want to goto the right (may be left) as well.

crashing into invisible objects is a pain.

when I'm using the yak, trying to do a knife edge loop...
and it's not going ot make it all the way around, I give it full elevator to pull out, and sometimes the yak will just explode.
kind of cool, and kind of annoying.

Can't compare G3 with G2, becuase I didn't have G2.
but I had G1, and I'll say that G3 is much better than G1

I'm just waiting to play some multiplayer =/

*EDIT*
the lack of free planes is annoying too.
only 3 3D capable planes?
(4 if you count the E3D)

not to mention, look at all the electric engines... 100's of them.
then look at hte gas engines, only like 20 or so.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:01 PM
jhimmel

ORIGINAL: Leety

High rates takes some getting use to for me.
I seem to do okay with the yak on high rates all the time.
except when you give it alot of elevator, it seems to want to goto the right (may be left) as well.
Well, I have certainly been able to fly with high rates switched on by compensating for the strange elevator left/right pull by adding rudder and/or aileron correction, but that is only going to give me bad habbits. That is exactly oposite of what a simulator is supposed to do.

I leave high rates off and I am hoping for an update to G3 that fixes this issue. I haven't had a chance yet, but I also plan on going into specific aircraft settings to see if I can get it working okay myself.

Jim H.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.