Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

AFPD pays off at the field!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

AFPD pays off at the field!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 07:46 AM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AFPD pays off at the field!!

Yesterday I put AFPD to the test.
I have been working on a 1 roll rolling circle on the sim here and there since I got it last week. Yesterday I went to the field after a 2 week layoff due to weather. Me and a friend (Larry M., 3rd place in Advanced Pattern at the NATS) were alone at the field early (noon) taking turns before everyone showed up. On my 1st flight I decided to test my skills and on the very 1st try I did a textbook 1 roll rolling circle which is some thing I have always thought was a georgeous maneuver.

I have been going on and on to my buddies about how great AFPD is the last fews days and the funny part was when Larry sees me pull it off and says, dang,, somebodys been practicing on the sim and asked how much it cost.

I played with it before in the air but just couldnt figure out the transitions. With AFPD I was able to learn from my mistakes and get it done in a coupe of hours and many crashes. Now that I know the technique its a really easy maneuver and I cant wait to show it off in front of my other pattern friends who can appreciate how tricky it is..

Thanks Ikarus and OMP for providing us with a fun and useful tool.

Mike
Old 12-28-2004, 09:29 AM
sputknik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AFPD pays off at the field!!

Same here bigned .It took be some time to do the rolling harrier,but where its such a complicated and percise manuever it also helps with other manuevers.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:53 AM
tahustvedt

I've been practicing the rolling harrier for over a week on XTR and now I'm starting to get it. I'm really noticing an improvement when I go fly my planes.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

Ditto that...

I've been working on rolling circles and now rolling harriers with XTR...

Looks like these 2 sims are just what the doctor ordered...
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM
Eric21

Thats really cool. I dont know about AFPD. but RealFlight G2 has helped me immensely at the field with my flying!! These RC simulators are incredible thank God someone invented them! Saves us alot of money in crashed planes!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:17 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Eric you have to try AFP or AFPD? I have flown all the planes in G2 and the 3D planes are much more awkward than the real thing, they snap way too easy and they are not realistic in a hover at all, way too tricky in G2. Especially the blue, red and yellow Extra. The planes in AFPD are not easy to fly, just more realistic. There is a 40% Cap 232 in AFPD that behaves EXACTLY like my Edge. But all the big OMP profile looking planes and most of the scale planes are in my opinion 90% accurate. You gotta try it!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

The OMP planes are right on.

This is one plane that we are specialized in. There was plenty of testing before these planes launched.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:48 PM
Eric21

No I havent tried anything but G2, I dont know why that is. G2 has helped me alot.. and the planes ive flew did the same thing I did in the simulator.. of course im not doing aerobatics right now, just the basics. But Ive been greatly impressed with G2, its been dead on so far.. At least thats what I think..
Old 12-31-2004, 01:03 PM
gsimmons

STLPilot,

I wanted to ask you a candid question. I've been studying R/C Sims for awhile now, trying to choose the best one for me. Over the past 2 months, I've spent a bunch of money upgrading my computer to run them, so I'm serious. I've been able to borrow XTR from a friend, and have been flying it for a few weeks now. My choice seems to be between AFPD and XTR (I've read a lot more negatives about G3 than positives.)

To my questions. One Senior poster on this forum seems to think (adamantly!) that XTR's Helicopter flight model performs better when hovering than AFPD.

Would you concur with that? (I'm really looking for a honest answer - and not inciting a religious debate!)

Does IPACS have a demo I could try on my system?

My impressions so far with Reflex XTR:

* Graphics are incredible! (But, I think that AFPD and G3 are equivalent - at least as far as I read.)
* Help is thin - and sometimes in German.
* Adding 3rd party planes and Helicopters was not automated nor intuitive.
* Not many planes/helicopters to choose from! (Certainly not many R/C planes that I see at the fields!)
* Transmitter interface - setting/calibrating/adjusting - was smooth and professional.
* That Red Line barrier is a pain at best!! And, to my knowledge, you can't turn it off!
* Another friend of mine noted that there is no way to quickly orientate yourself with the field (say when you're straight up in the blue!) The best way to fly XTR is close to the horizon. A quick key to look down is needed. G2 and G3 do this. AFPD?
* Support from Wolfgang is scary at best. (I can actually purchase XTR from a hobby shop here in town - so that avoids the most noted pitfalls.)

OMP and IPACs:

* AFPD looks great! I've watched all the videos! Model selection is good too! But, I'd really like to try it first!
* My impression is that OMP and IPACs are much more professional and customer oriented firms - this is a BIG plus!
* Your participation in these forms in unprecedented! Most OEMs and Retailers shy away from discussions and feedback from customers.