Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

OK to have antenna down while using Flight SIm?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

OK to have antenna down while using Flight SIm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 09:26 PM
vf171
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK to have antenna down while using Flight SIm?

OK, here's a dumb question.

I read on another board that transmitting RF with the antenna down can burn out a critical transistor (forget exactly what they called it). Here's my questions:

1. When I plug my TX into the controller on G2 am I transmitting RF? (I know that I'm not actually controlling the plane on the screen via RF! )

2. If I'm transmitting RF do I need to extend my antenna?

I know this probably sounds dumb but I am a newbie, we are allowed to sound dumb beacuse in fact we are.

Thanks in advance!!

VF171
Old 01-15-2005, 10:28 PM
GBR2
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: OK to have antenna down while using Flight SIm?

When you plug into the buddy box connector on the transmitter, it automatically prevents the RF section from operating, so you are not transmitting anything. If your transmitter has a plug in RF module and it makes you feel better, you can also remove that from the transmitter.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

To test whether or not your transmitter is transmitting when your cable is plugged in, turn on one of your airplanes and see if the radio transmits.

I've heard on one or two cases that it was still transmitting. If this is the case, remove the Xtal or module like GB said.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:55 AM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: GBR2

When you plug into the buddy box connector on the transmitter, it automatically prevents the RF section from operating, so you are not transmitting anything. If your transmitter has a plug in RF module and it makes you feel better, you can also remove that from the transmitter.

GBR2,

I do not believe this is correct. Otherwise, the radio connected to the buddy box could not transmit to the plane. It is safest to just remove the crystal.

Carl
Old 01-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Ian.W

if your radio is capable of DSC (direct servo control) its fine, plug in and your off. with my old radio, futaba FF6, i had to remove the xtal.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:29 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my Hitecs the spectra module gets very warm, so out it comes. I believe the answer depends on the radio manufacturer and the cable. I would extend the antenna or pull a module to be safe.
NOT A DUMB QUESTION!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:20 PM
vf171
My Feedback: (4)

Hey guys thanks for all the input! I am using a JR XP8103, no x-stal in the module right now. I'm still not sure what channel I'm going to be on. I need to find out what the other guys are using in the local club before I buy a x-stal.

The port I plug into is labeled DSC and Trainer so I am assuming I'm ok.

Thanks again!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Trogdor the Burninator

ORIGINAL: cfossa

ORIGINAL: GBR2

GBR2,

I do not believe this is correct. Otherwise, the radio connected to the buddy box could not transmit to the plane. It is safest to just remove the crystal.

Carl
I think this is because the computer cables are wired to make the transmitter the "student" box, not the master box. So they won't trasmit but still send signal to the usb or serial port.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Bill S
My Feedback: (-1)

vf171,

I too use a JR XP8103 transmitter with my Sims (RF G2 and now AFPD).

Not to worry, you can run the SIM with the transmitter antenna retracted. With the transmitter switch kept OFF, the XP8103 logic and display turns on when you plug the SIM cable into the transmitter but no RF is transmitted. As mentioned in a previous post, this is the JR's Direct Servo Control mode, which allows testing/controlling your plane's servos without actually transmitting RF, by using a DSC cable connected from the transmitter to the receiver. If you turn the transmitter switch ON, the DSC function is disabled and the SIM will not work, i.e., no control.

Also, with no crystal installed in the transmitter's RF module, you are doubley safe because there is no RF feeding the final RF amp transistor which is the component that is susceptible to overheating by prolonged RF transmision with the antenna retracted.

Bill S