Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

2nd Comparasion AFPD v.s. Reflex XTR.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

2nd Comparasion AFPD v.s. Reflex XTR.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:19 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Comparasion AFPD v.s. Reflex XTR.

I have spent about 40 horus on each sim now, this analysis only includes PLANES, not helis, Jets, or Sail planes because I don't fly them nor can I get an opnion from anyone who has flown them.
The only thing I will talk abuot is physics becauase graphics and sceneries and 3d background, music and all that other junk is something I could careless about.
Also, I will only cover 3-d Flying, simply because all other types of flying in circles is just something you can practice on the field 300 feed in the air, you don't need a simulator if you are planning on flying around in circles and doing lopps. For that their is FMS and a ton of other free sims. SIMS are for learning 3-D

AFPD:
After playing around with AFPD, it let me do, pretty much every trick in the book for 3-D. And it puts the plane where it ought to be, e.g. after a blender, knife edge e.t.c. the plane sets it self to how it does in real life. The other thing with AFPD is that you don't have to go to extremes to get a plane setup for 3-D, e.g. you an set it up to do hovers without loosing the ability to do stuff like blenders and harier rolls. Out of the box plane sets up are really good. I do like having that little window on the side where I can see what position my plane is in, afpd has all these little toys that are fun to play with but like I said in the begining I'm not going to get into that.

Now here are the problems:
Gravity, My God, these planes devy gravity when in stalled positions, the simulator will SLOW everything down for you when you are in 3-D. I don't know what is going on but all of a sudden many of the stall points just go away, untill your plane starts generating lift again and then all of a sudden its back to normal flying. Now I realize thier is a simulation speed bar... now what the heck, I think 100% should be real life speed! But people say turn it up to 124%. Ok, did that but guess what now? You should see my planes do rolls, lol they spin like tires on a race car. So while ya, the planes act more to life at 124% speed while in 3-d, but that messes up a lot of patern stuff, rolls harrier rols all seems fake. Basically you give up 1 thing to do the other more realistically.

Other then that, I don't have any main problem with AFPD's physics engine is just that the response, gravity, and some other issues are out of wack, but the plane's behaviour is right on, doing 3-D is right the planes act like how do they do in real-life. You can tweak the planes out and you don't have to go to extremes to get it to do 1 thing while it looses the other. The "Environmental" physics are just off and it effects every other plane.

Reflex XTR:
I have been playing around with XTR for a bit now as well. Out of the box, man reflex seems great, gravity, tip-stalls, all the stuff that gets you on your toes and stops your heart when flying a real plane are simulated perfectly. The simulation is awesome for everything... BUT 3-D[&o]... basically for the good: Reflex is better at everything except how the plane handles in stalled positions.

Problems:
I'm going to jump striaght into the problems, and they are when a plane is in stalled conditions, or 3-D. You just can't get reflex to be happy with a plane. The stock planes are very hard to do 3-d, you need to to be on your finger tips the whole time, some would say its easier to do 3-d in real life then on the simulator. While ya, reflex isn't cutting you any slack nor slowing anything down like afpd does it just doens't put planes in positions that are in when doing 3-D stuff. In the stock planes, (Katana) is the only one you get and it set up pretty close to the real thing for everything else e.g. patern flying manuvers, knife edge e.t.c. but the control surfaces are only at 20, you will need to go to settings and change them. THe user made planes I downloaded, were obviously setup to do 3-d a litte "Too well" e.g. the extra 300s.. they were doing stuff that you CAN"T do, e.g. super responsive elevator, I would wiggle my plane back and forth like a worm on a hook. When I toned down the physics, e.g. lowered angle of attack and stall angles, bam my plane doens't want to snap rolls any more, or does the roll part but is obvioulsy not "snapping"...

So here is the deal with Reflex xtr in 3-d: Expect to spend a LOT of time getting your planes setup, I mean you have to tune the darn thing to the dime. Unlike AFPD, you can get your plane to ridicoulous stuff so don't mess around with physics like crazy, change one thing, test it, save (btw thier is a bug in reflex, you need to save the plane everytime you make a change and reload it for some things to to take effect). The only planes that I have found fly really darn close are: the Funtana with modfied settings by: Not 24, the Included Katana's with modfied settings by myself. Remember thier are about 3x as many settings in Reflex XTR as they are in AFPD, they are also harder to figure out because their is no GUI and it only gives you stuff in METRIC units not english.

But when you get a plane setup JUST right. Man that thing is awesome, HOWEVER..LOL your gonna hate me for this, the darn thing flies very close to how it flies AEROFLY and it seems that once again gravity is gone, tip stalls are gone...lol basically you just set up your plane like a plane would fly in AFPD.[:@][:'(] But then again your plane does everything fine and you are no longer playing a chess game with the physics engine.

CONCLUSION:
Reflex XTR is better in everything else except in 3-d when compared to AFPD. When a plane setup to do 3-D in reflex, it flies very close, or almost the same as it does in AFPD. So if 3-D is your main thing, AFPD will probably let you fast forward through all the config and pain and sweat you have to go through with Reflex. However overall, REFLEX is the better simulator if you have the time because it does all the other stuff better then AFPD e.g. pattern flying, warbirds, helis and does 3-d Just as wll as AFPD once you spend enough time setting your plane up e.t.c.

In the end, I have both SIMULATORS: AFPD & XTR. I like AFPD because thier are more downloads coming in for it then reflex, and I don't have to spend as much time to set my planes up and the stock planes fly really good for 3-D. I like Reflex because all other types of flying e.g. Warbirds which is my other passion is just so much more realistic in Reflex, simply because your plane doens't go into that "3-D" or stall position.

I generally belive unless you want to learn 3-D, you dont' need to buy a simulator. Circle flying, loops, rolls and inverted flight are something even a newbie can learn after 2 hours behind the controll stick at the field. 3-D flying is something you need a simulator for because this is when you need to have mastered all 4 of your control surfaces (yess throttle is a control surface in 3-d flying). If you still insist you want a simulator for generall flying Reflex would be the one to choose. For 3-d, I would probably go with AFPD because I would have less headaches setting planes up
Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 AM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Default RE: 2nd Comparasion AFPD v.s. Reflex XTR.

Arent you the guy who constantly praises Reflex?

Didn't you recently post "AFPD sucks"?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:35 AM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

The more you play AFPD and learn all the settings to make it more real the more you realize how good it is. I won't throw away my afpd I swear you but it is fair to admit that reflex is a very strong sim also specially for the heli.

Plain simple.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Not24

You did a nice job making your points in your review. The biggest point I would like to back up is the one about whether or not someone needs a sim. I bought mine after buying the Funtana, and realized that this was a completely foreign way to fly a plane, and that I didn't want to destroy my model while learning the basics of 3D flying. You made a comment about being on the sticks alot with reflex. I have to say that that is exactly why I bought the sim. The Funtana is not a plane you can just fly carelessly or without paying attention. I realize that to the more practiced pilots among us, this is not an issue. For me, it was a new learning curve. I think the sim has helped tremendously, even if only to help establish familiar stick positioning. As for the tweaking of the models, I think that is actually half the fun of playing with it. I'm so glad that when you finally get it right, the whole entire flight envelope is pretty well spot on. As I stated in another post, the only thing keeping the sim from being perfect in its physics is the overall complexity of the program itself. The people making these things know that, asnd that's how they will sell more of them in the future. They will fix these little issues, one at a time. They've probably got people doing nothing but reading our posts to see what they need to address in their next version. I think there is plenty written now on which is the best sim. We should now spend a little more time developing them and sharing our ideas with others on how to do that.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:50 AM
serge1

ORIGINAL: Not24

You did a nice job making your points in your review. The biggest point I would like to back up is the one about whether or not someone needs a sim. I bought mine after buying the Funtana, and realized that this was a completely foreign way to fly a plane, and that I didn't want to destroy my model while learning the basics of 3D flying. You made a comment about being on the sticks alot with reflex. I have to say that that is exactly why I bought the sim. The Funtana is not a plane you can just fly carelessly or without paying attention. I realize that to the more practiced pilots among us, this is not an issue. For me, it was a new learning curve. I think the sim has helped tremendously, even if only to help establish familiar stick positioning. As for the tweaking of the models, I think that is actually half the fun of playing with it. I'm so glad that when you finally get it right, the whole entire flight envelope is pretty well spot on. As I stated in another post, the only thing keeping the sim from being perfect in its physics is the overall complexity of the program itself. The people making these things know that, asnd that's how they will sell more of them in the future. They will fix these little issues, one at a time. They've probably got people doing nothing but reading our posts to see what they need to address in their next version. I think there is plenty written now on which is the best sim. We should now spend a little more time developing them and sharing our ideas with others on how to do that.

I also bought AFPD for the 3 D in mind but I also realize now that it is very usefull to practice IMAC sequence and all other risky disorienting maneuver. Just the fact to practice your stick during the winter is enough for me to justify the money spent for the sim.

But there is one thing we forget the most about the sims: Fun!

Each days when I finish my work I play relaxing music and practice my IMAC sequence with the sim. Its such a great way to decompress and enjoy my hobby!

Have fun with your sim!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got to agree with the FUN...its the most fun to do thing is this COLD Michigan climate for sure! I am getting to learn more by using it also. Great Sim!!
Old 01-29-2005, 12:14 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Got to agree with the FUN...its the most fun to do thing is this COLD Michigan climate for sure! I am getting to learn more by using it also. Great Sim!!

It is actually -10 C here in canada. I was flying my shock flyer yesterday when the plane falled
out of a hover when the lipo battery froze!

Serge

Old 01-29-2005, 02:30 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: peefiddyonefan

Ya I did, because everytime I pointed out the bad things in AFPD, somone would delete my posts which sucked... hence afpd sucked
and you are little n00b who doesn't even have afpd reflex is praise worthy, it got stall points near perfect something afpd and g3 completely ignored...

anyway, I said the truth in my post and brought both sims to thier knees, no cuddly bs just the facts.

I will get a guy who flies $3000 helis and get his opnion, but I'm thinking he is going to choose reflex...

If I could only take stuff from reflex or stuff form afpd and put it together I would be rockin...but looks like I'll just be chillin untill next update...

oh well with xtr I won't have to pay when XTR Extreme comes out (ya its in the works, totally revamped version built from ground up)
Old 01-29-2005, 03:44 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

ORIGINAL: Alkaline

ORIGINAL: peefiddyonefan

and you are little n00b who doesn't even have afpd reflex is praise worthy, it got stall points near perfect something afpd and g3 completely ignored...

*** are you jabbering about. I have G3, AFPD & Reflex XTR installed on my PC at the moment?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
r1derbike

Ahhh crap! They all suck! They don't even come close to the thrill of piling-in your model at the field...not even close! ;-}

Charles
Old 01-29-2005, 07:20 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: r1derbike

Ahhh crap! They all suck! They don't even come close to the thrill of piling-in your model at the field...not even close! ;-}

Charles
Amen to that
Old 01-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have spent about 40 horus on each sim now, this analysis only includes PLANES, not helis, Jets, or Sail planes because I don't fly them nor can I get an opnion from anyone who has flown them.
The only thing I will talk abuot is physics becauase graphics and sceneries and 3d background, music and all that other junk is something I could careless about.
Wait a minute. Something is very fishy here. You sold your copy of AFPD more than two weeks ago. How are you still spending time on AFPD? Also, you praised Reflex XTR graphics and sceneries in other threads. Now you are saying that you don't care about graphics and sceneries and 3d background? To talk intelligently about 3D physics, one has to already know how to fly 3D competently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that you just recently got a Funtana 90 and still looking for an engine for it in the hope of learning how to fly 3D, no? Something just doesn't add up.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:05 AM
DiscoWings

I had 2 copies of AFPD, 1 I bought for myself and 1 I bought for my brother. My brother decided R/C is not for him, so I sold his copy on RCU, here is the advertisement:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=66848
The copy I sold was brand new Sealed. I still had mine.
Yes I have a brand New Funtana, Flying 3d on a pattern type plane is a lot diffent than flying on a little electric, I also have a 3-D buddy.
However, the basics of 3-d are the same on all planes, in terms on what input you have to give. I want to see how a larger planes handles, my previous experience has been with a U-Can-do which are very forgiving and easy to do 3-d stuff.

I didn't talk about graphics but it is useless in evulating a SIM, but if you insist: Reflex has better graphics & crappier 3-D backgrounds when compared to AFPD
The music in AFPD is better, simply because reflex has no option for music Ya I did praise them and still do, but if you would have READ the post you would see why I'm not considering these items in this comparasion. But regardless, I said it once and I'll say it agian, a simulator is for learning how to fly 3-D, and maybe helis... planes flying in circles can be learned faily easily on your own, graphics, sounds, and all the other bells and whistles don't matter when you get to the heart of a simulator.

Anyway, I remember you said you were getting reflex to check out; The type of flying you do, you will like Reflex better because it replicates all the bad habbits many warbirds have better then afpd.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Not24

Now, now, Let's stop the petty bickering. To me you both sound stupid. Some comments just don't warrant a reply. Like this one, for instance.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Its obvious that flying around in circles with warbirds, you don't know what 3-D flying is about...
Ha ha. Everybody who have seen my videos here on RCU know that I don't fly around in circles with warbirds. People saw scale maneuvers in those videos, such as loop, roll, immelmann, split S, hammerhead, wing over, and so forth. I suppose I could throw in some hovering, waterfalls, flat spins, rolling circles, or harriers, but that wouldn't be scale.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
seasterling

Alkaline: Got any info on XTR Extreme?
Old 01-30-2005, 03:59 PM
driftair
My Feedback: (4)

Good Work Alkaline,

Untill this post I was negative about how your viewpoint was presented. Here, I like how you have compared the simulators. I would also like to know the settings you made in Reflex XTR and AFPD to make the planes feel more realistic to you.

Thank you for this clear and simple comparison of your experience with Reflex XTR and AeroflyPro Deluxe.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:06 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

I still wanna know why you called me a "little n00b"?
Old 01-30-2005, 04:12 PM
driftair

I believe you may have me confused with some one else? [X(]
Old 01-30-2005, 04:16 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

Sorry I was replying to Alkaline who said "and you are little n00b who doesn't even have afpd reflex is praise worthy, it got stall points near perfect something afpd and g3 completely ignored... " to me .

ORIGINAL: driftair

I believe you may have me confused with some one else? [X(]
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 PM
DiscoWings

I called you a little n00b because you completely missed the point of the whole post and went and said "Wait You said reflex was blah blah blah..."[>:]
Richard L. : loops, rolls, thier all part of flying around in circles.... When your plane is on the prop, its a whole differnt Ball game. I have seen people look at 3-d and go "puft... that ain't flying."
so when people say flying in circles it generally means flying in patterns e.g. left to right, while flying in 3-d Heck you're all over the place and other people better watch out
Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM
DiscoWings

ORIGINAL: driftair

Good Work Alkaline,

Untill this post I was negative about how your viewpoint was presented. Here, I like how you have compared the simulators. I would also like to know the settings you made in Reflex XTR and AFPD to make the planes feel more realistic to you.

Thank you for this clear and simple comparison of your experience with Reflex XTR and AeroflyPro Deluxe.

AHh man, to tell you the truth what may seem realistic to me might not be to you...
anyway,

I moved the c.g. back to .025 from profile nose
Upped the power to wieght ratio to 2.5:1
lowered wieght to 8.5 KG
changed the angle of attack by about 15 degress on all of them
changed the control throws for rudder/elevator to 38, alerions to about 25

messed around with the interia settins, I'm still playing around with them.

But the thing I found that most planes wiegh too much, considering thier wingspan. I mean, my God, the stock Katanas were like 33 lbs and had a wingspan of 71 inches[X(] bring that wieght down some.

YOu will just have to play with them, I just wished it had english units because I hate having to convert metric to english...
Old 01-30-2005, 09:38 PM
driftair

Thank's Alkaline, as for the metrics, I have found that using a conversion calculator makes that much easier.
(On that note I've been a little "floaty" LOL, I usually just punch in changes (numbers) and check to see what effect they have.)
Some free conversion calculators can be downloaded from:

http://www.nonags.com/nonags/calcs.html

[8D] 'CyberCalc' by Cybermetrics is very nice.
http://www.cybermetrics.com/CyberCalc/CCalc.HTM
Old 01-30-2005, 09:44 PM
thejetgod

Alkaline,

You simply MUST start using spell check and grammar check on your posts! My head hurts sometimes trying to follow your train of thought. May I suggest that you go back read what you have written in this thread? One of your replies is written quite well and it was very easy to read. It stands out like a sore thumb from your other entries.

BTW, I think once you get used to the metric units in Reflex XTR, you'll find it much more friendly than English units. It will just take some time for more repeat exposure.

One thing you have mentioned that I agree 100% with is that an aircraft that feels "right" to me might not feel "right" to you. Two of us may fly a Funtana at the field, but each aircraft more than likely has been built using different techniques and/or components. Our radios are probably set up differently, and the C.G. on each of our aircraft are more than likely different, too.

Any one of us that uploads an airplane to be shared will probably be pleased with the way it behaves in our simulator of choice. Any individual that downloads it will probably determine that it isn't quite "right" and that it requires tweaking. It's nice to have so many parameters that can be fine tuned in Reflex XTR.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:36 PM
peefiddyonefan
Banned

ORIGINAL: thejetgod

Alkaline,
You simply MUST start using spell check and grammar check on your posts! My head hurts sometimes trying to follow your train of thought. May I suggest that you go back read what you have written in this thread? One of your replies is written quite well and it was very easy to read. It stands out like a sore thumb from your other entries.

"Ya I did, because everytime I pointed out the bad things in AFPD, somone would delete my posts which sucked... hence afpd sucked
and you are little n00b who doesn't even have afpd reflex is praise worthy, it got stall points near perfect something afpd and g3 completely ignored... "

AGREED If you read the above statement it looks like it was written by a 3-year old w/bad grammer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.