Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

honey bee 2 ccpm radio and reflex xtr?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

honey bee 2 ccpm radio and reflex xtr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:18 AM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default honey bee 2 ccpm radio and reflex xtr?

Hi will the honey bee 2's ccpm 6ch radio work with reflex xtr? if so what cord would i order when i buy reflex? futaba round?

I plan to buy a trex eventually but i first need to be pretty efficient with the honey bee 2 before i want to upgrade heli and radio so i was hoping i could use the honey bee's radio with reflex.

thanks
Old 03-29-2005, 08:59 AM
jimmyd56

Default RE: honey bee 2 ccpm radio and reflex xtr?

The Futaba round connector is much larger than what you have. They sell one for Honey bee on [link=http://www.reflex-sim.dyndns.org/reflex-sim/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27_34&products_id=92]Reflex website[/link]
Also if you have the version that came with a sim cable you can use the end to make your [link=http://www.reflex-sim.dyndns.org/reflex-sim/shop/catalog/faqdesk_index.php?faqPath=15_35_45_54]own cable[/link] Good luck
Jim
Old 03-29-2005, 11:36 AM
bluesky123

The transmitters sold with Honey Bee and Honey Bee 2 helicopters are different: the first one is a regular 4-channel transmitter, which can be used with most simulator/interfaces with an appropriate conector or adapter. The HB2 transmitter is a totally different story: it's, again, a 4-ch TX, even though it's deceptively called "Channel Six", but with a hardwired CCPM mix (because HB2 is a collective pitch helicopter), which mixes the 4 controls into 5 servo signals. A the same time, all the existing simulators, including the incredible Reflex XTR, expect the unmixed channel input. If you try to use Honey Bee 2 "CCPM_FM" transmitter with any simulator, the control responce will be totally screwed up!

The solution to this predicament (short of re-writing the helicopter simulators to deal with CCPM mixed signals) is to develop an interface, which "un-mixes" the CCPM channels on the fly. That's exactly what we are doing here at MileHighWings.com. Pretty soon (the pre-production interfaces are being tested) we will offer a line of interface cables for ESky CCPM_FM transmitters.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:16 PM
jlb0305

i thought the honey bee 2 was a 6 ch 3D heli... thats what every store online and eBay is saying. in fact they have a version of the HB2 that specifically says its only 4 not 6... the HB2 FP i believe...
Old 03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
bluesky123

ORIGINAL: jlb0305

i thought the honey bee 2 was a 6 ch 3D heli... thats what every store online and eBay is saying. in fact they have a version of the HB2 that specifically says its only 4 not 6... the HB2 FP i believe...
They only call it 6-channel because the manufacturer cleverly decided to call the transmitter "Channel Six" (sorry, the picture is pretty small, but the name of the XT is at the bottom right corner, just above the big digit 6):

In fact, the TX only has 2 sticks (i.e. 4 proportional channel), a trainer switch, and a "3D switch" which changes the parameters of the throttle mix. There are no controls for the 5th and 6th channels, so, this thansmitter is, by definition, a 4-channel one!

What is also true is that they mix the aileron, elevator, and throttle inputs (sorry for the "fixed wing" names I'm using) into the output for three swash plane servos and for the ESC. The rudder channel is not mixed with anything, so, it's directly transmitted to the rudder servo. In short, the 4 inputs are converted into 5 output signals--for the 4 servos and the ESC. The output ideed spans from 1st to 6th channel, with the 5th channel left unused.

That's why they decided to call the transmitter "Channel six"--this means that the last channel signal is on channel 6. But that's not only the Chinese manufacturer of ESky and its twins, which employs this cheap marketing trick to make its transmitters look better than they are. For long time, German Graupner has been selling its 2-channel transmitters as "four channel", arguing that they offer all 4 channels: "Left", "Right", "Up", and "Down"!
Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 PM
jlb0305

seriously confused now because as i said online a lot of them aren't coming with the factory tx and they are coming with other 6ch and 7ch tx which even the futaba 7ch tx i saw online only had 2 sticks... what exactly classifys it as X number of channels then? Plus as I said before with the honey bee there are two types. One that sells with CP as a 6 channel heli and one with FP as a 4 ch.

also tried a google search and if this is true how come this is the first time anyone online seems to be mentioning it? did find stuff on the original HB 1 being only 4 Ch though and saying it was 6, but that also wasn't a 3D heli.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:41 AM
bluesky123

> ...if this is true how come this is the first time anyone online
> seems to be mentioning it?
First, they have only recently started selling these CCPM transmitters.
Second, there is virtually no information about these transmitters available anywhere. Have you found a downloadable manual for ESky transmitter or just any information about it in plain English? I have not.

I ended up just buying this transmitter (got it for $10 on eBay, that's its fair price), taking it apart (to see what encoder they used and what is fed to the encoder ADC) and, finally, connecting the PPM signal to the oscilloscope. The darn thing is just what I'm saying it is--a 4-channel FM transmitter with a hardwired CCPM-120 mix, which can't be disabled. If you don't believe me, just check it yourself.

Regarding the "real" transmitters like the recent Futaba 7C or the old 7UHP: download theit manuals from Futaba Web site
http://www.futabarc.com/manuals/index.html
and look at page 12 (for Futaba 7C), which shows all the extra switches used for various mixes and for the channels above 4.

> ...One that sells with CP as a 6 channel
It is not 6-channel but a 4 channel called "Channel Six".
Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 AM
jlb0305

is the FP only 2 then not 4? It comes with one called channel 4.

I found one place on eBay that says the RX is 6 channel but the TX is 4... but they let you upgrade the TX (for an additional cost) [&o][] . Did you check the HB to see if the RX is 6? It sounds like since the TX is producing fake extra signals that it is. In which case I will just buy a different TX when i get my HB... or maybe just get the walkera df 35 that comes with a 6 channel tx.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM
jlb0305

this one must do the same thing.

also called channel 6 but not the eSky model. its by CLC

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34056&item=5966436496&rd=1]here on e Bay[/link]
Old 03-31-2005, 09:34 AM
bluesky123

> is the FP only 2 then not 4? It comes with one called channel 4.
Fixed Pitch version has 4-channels transmitter with no mixes.
Collective Pitch version has 4-channels transmitter with CCPM mix, which drives an additional "slave" channel for the third servo on the swashplate. The slave channel occupies the 6-th slot, that's probably why the transmitter is called "Channel Six"!

The fact that manufacturer put "Channel 6" name on the transmitter is just a plain lie! The fact that many sellers continue to call it 6-channel transmitter is lie and/or ignorance (do you think all sellers know or care what they are selling?). If, by repeating "6-ch", they can charge you more, they will continue doing this!

Old 03-31-2005, 11:54 PM
jlb0305

Many people may not have access to the oscillascope to test this TX. This is an interesting topic to everyone not just newbies. I'm not really a newbie I just haven't been into R/C for the past 5-6 years. I used to be into it, so I'm a returner.

Now as for the TX being a 4CH with CCPM mix, I can't prove or disprove it. I know some people have gotten the TX to work with the sim and some haven't. Maybe some are true 6 and some not. Or it may even be possible that the person who sold it to you swapped the thing out. I don't know anything for sure but as long as it works with the heli I don't really care.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM
bluesky123

We are glad to announce the availability of Serial PIC interface for Honey Bee 2 CCPM transmitter:
[link=http://www.milehighwings.com]MileHighWings.com[/link]

It implements the CCPM un-mixing algorithm, which send the un-mixed stick deflection to the simulator software.

Boris