Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

RIPMAX Flight Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

RIPMAX Flight Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RIPMAX Flight Simulator

Anyone have one yet? What's skinny on this flight sim?
Old 12-30-2001, 12:54 AM
theKAT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I managed to get a copy, but it wasn't easy. I had to track it down and order it from a shop in the UK.

I don't think it's ever been officially released in the US and support elsewhere seems to be minimal. None of the add-on fields or planes have ever materialized. They update their website about every 6 months, from what I can tell.

As far as flight sims go, it's more gamelike than some. Not too many RC sim aircraft come equipped with machine guns. If you're looking for realism, stick with RealFlight.
Old 12-30-2001, 11:32 AM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default Demo version available

Have you tried the demo version which is available at rcsimulator.com? It has one trainer plane but works very well. I couldn't get my hands on a copy for the longest time, but now Tower Hobbies sells it for $70, software only, or $100 with the controller. I purchased RC pilot, I heard it uses the same RealPhysics logarithms as G2 but is stripped down a bit. There's an upgrade available which I might use later on down the road.
I got my RC Pilot for $60 with controller on Ebay. It's normally $79. I'll tell you how it works when I get it this week.
-Tom
Old 12-30-2001, 02:35 PM
Paul Grubich

The Ripmax sim was done by the group that did the game, Fighter Squadron, Screamin' Demons Over Europe.

I knew the guys that put it together and I still fly the game. It is open ended and you can make planes for it. It is not easy. I have made several planes for the game and each plane can take you six months or longer.

The cool thing about this sim engine is that the planes fly in real virtual air. When you move a control surface it interacts with the air around it causing a movement.

The sim engine also uses real physics. When a tire comes off it will roll until it falls over or hits something. If the tire hits something it will bounce in the correct way.

The damage model is incredible. Parts can be torn off and effect the flight model. Engines can overheat, leak oil, water, etc.

I have not played the r/c sim but the game is amazing and the r/c sim uses the same engine. My GeeBee and P-26 I made would work in the r/c sim also.

Paul
Old 12-31-2001, 11:35 PM
theKAT

Amazing, it's finally out in the US. Had my copy for about a year now, had pretty much written them off.

I used to check their website at http://www.rcsimulator.com fairly often for the new add-on aircraft they had promised. Nothing ever showed up there, but an e-mail to the developers netted directions to some beta versions of the 747 and the Solar Sailor. Check-em out.

http://www.rcsimulator.com/Downloads/747.zip
http://www.rcsimulator.com/Downloads/solarsailor.zip
Old 01-01-2002, 04:57 AM
wingspan99

Default R/C Pilot Sim

I got my R/C Pilot sim today. In about 7 hours I have finally learned to torque roll, I'm up to three consecutive torque rolls. I've also figured out rudder inputs on a slow rolling circle. I know I've already gotten my money's worth out of R/C Pilot. Even though I've been flying for 20 years, my own safety margins precluded learning these maneuvers on the real thing. The graphics are good, the physics are great except for spins which are average for RC sims. No flat spins. The CAP232 is excellent for torque rolls and pretty much everything else. The Ultimate seems either nose heavy or heavy or underpowered. It's hard to get one torque roll out of it, and I know they torque roll well IRL.
The value of this sim is excellent. I have a new pilot who will love it, and I'm going to upgrade to G2. I can see why you want to use your own computer TX but the simplicity of the controller is nice. No batteries or settings. I would recommend it except I haven't tried Ripmax with the aerobats. There is no crash damage, but the flight stops if you hit the ground. Everything else is transparent so you fly through it. That's ok. The flight physics are excellent, it feels just like real air under the wings, the stalls are realistic, and the snap stalls are realistic.
Anyone torque roll a Ripmax plane?
-Tom
Old 01-02-2002, 09:30 PM
Nathan
Administrator

I've used RealFlight before, but don't want to shell out the big bucks for it. I wasn't too keen on R/C Pilot for whatever reason, and when I saw Ripmax advertised I thought I'd ask.

I went to their website, but the free download is huge. Didn't want to take the time to download, install, then delete it when the time ran out.

Paul... could you elaborate on your statement: "The cool thing about this sim engine is that the planes fly in real virtual air. When you move a control surface it interacts with the air around it causing a movement. "? Is it different than the RealFlight experience? If so, will you try to explain it? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:24 AM
Paul Grubich

Ok but I don't really know the tech answer.

The sim Fighter Squadron uses a sim engine called Open Plane. This engine is also used for the Ripmax R/C sim. I have played Fighter Squadron and built planes for it for a year now.

This sim engine simulates air as a force that can interact with the control surface deflection on a plane. When making the planes I could tweak how each surface interacted with this "air" and thus set up my planes to follow the real examples very closely.

With most sims when you push the joystick off axis the sim senses the movement and tells the plane how far to turn or dive or etc. When you fly an Open Plane sim you push the joystick and the sim senses the movement and tells the control surface (not the plane) how far to move and that, being influenced by the virtual "air", turns the plane. More like the real thing.

When you fly a plane in the sim Fighter Squadron you feel very much like you are flying the real plane. I have not tried the Ripmax sim but it should be the same.

The bottom line is the planes from Ripmax should fly more realistically than other sims.

Paul
Old 01-03-2002, 04:18 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Very interesting Paul, and explained well. I may have to give it a shot.
Old 02-16-2002, 03:46 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ripmax

Does RealFlight use real real physics for realism or does it use another type programing? I'm runnig the Ripmax sim on my old 7000 Inspiron and it looks great, I plan on trying it on my new 8100 Inspiron when it gets here. I just don't know about the new RealFlight Light. Lee
Old 12-13-2002, 03:26 AM
JayBFlyer

Lee,
Could you tell me more about Ripmax?
I just picked it up. My search of the net hasn't produced much on addons.

I think I read that RF does use physics. It is the rave.

Have you had any problems with Ripmax and could you give me the details of your system. I need to build one and that info would help me abit.

Thanks,
Jayb
Old 12-16-2002, 06:54 PM
JayBFlyer

FYI
Hello Guys,
My note to ripmax and their response.

Dear Sir,

Future versions of Ripmax R/C Simulator will include will the option to fly heli's. We do not have any information on when the next Ripmax sim will be developed at this moment in time. The RC Simulator web site will also be offering fields and planes to download for free some time in the near future. We apologise for the inconvenience of the lack of add-ons etc.

Regards

Ross Rodwell
Ripmax Technical Support

-----original message----
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2002 3:23 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Ripmax Flight Sim

Gentlemen,

I have purchased your flight simulator recently and it's current configuration does not included any helicopters. Also I can find only one other addon for this sim on the net.

Can you tell me if Ripmax is going to support this sim?

Jayb
Old 12-16-2002, 07:40 PM
theKAT

I was REALLY disappointed with the lack of support from RIPMAX. I went to the trouble of finding it and ordering it from a shop in the UK before it was available in the US. If you go to their website, the latest "NEWS" is from July 2001. There are no additional aircraft or fields as was originally promised when I tried the demo program.

I sent a couple of inquiries and received responses much later to the effect that "we're working on it", but nothing ever came out of it. I did manage to get a couple beta versions of other aircraft (ie 747), but never any official releases.

Flying G2 now, I guess it was a $50 lesson.

Karl
Old 12-16-2002, 10:30 PM
JayBFlyer

Kat,
Yea, it looks like these guys are not serious or have money problem.
How did you like ripmax though. Did the stuff there work?
How do you like RF and what kind of system are you running it on?
Jayb
Old 12-16-2002, 10:47 PM
theKAT

Well, I would have to say that RealFlight is much more "realistic" and RCSim is much more like a game. (the planes can have guns, you know) :-)

RCSim is to RC planes like ReVolt is to RC cars.

I currently have to run RCSim under Win98 so I can get my Realflight controller to work with, but other than that, the program works as advertised. Just can't add on to it...

Each has it's own place, but I find that I use G2 more often.

Karl
Old 12-17-2002, 05:11 AM
JayBFlyer

Thanks for that input Kat.
Jayb
Old 12-23-2002, 12:24 AM
DaveO-RCU

Has anyone had any trouble running this on XP? I keep getting freeze ups and I don't have a 9 pin connection so I am trying to track down a USB convertor. Sucks having to play with only the mouse.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:34 AM
JayBFlyer

DaveO,

I don't think Ripmax supports XP at this time. My box says 95,98 or ME with directX7 and a cdrom.

But I did find a Midi/Gameport toUSB for about 25.00 on the web. This is this is the link. http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_9.html

JayB
Old 12-23-2002, 11:57 PM
JayBFlyer

Default Up and Running

Finally got my system built and software is operational.
I am using a Dell(don't laugh, it is free) 400mhz P2- Nvidia Riva Tnt 16 meg video card(it is free) and I had to buy a sound card with a midi/game port. I bought a cheapy made by Inland but the Dell had a small problem with it. Installed it, reconized it and mostly operated it. But if you pulled back on the stick, 98 would pop up an error box that said " your controller is not installed correctly". I do not think there was a problem with the card as it installed correctly. Installed 98 x3, as in format c: install. Same results with three different joysticks. I didn't get a usable radio until today.

So I yanked it, returned it, and picked up a true SoundBlaster 512 32 bit PCI card and it came right up.

So I got to fly a little with the Nebullus. An electric glider jobbie. Sort of strange flying characteristics. Excellent climb rate at full throttle, but hard to control, difficult to turn. Nose heavy with power off.

I didn't have any time to play with the variables, but so far I like what I see.
JayB
Old 04-17-2003, 06:41 PM
300lakota
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Default re: ripmax

tower hobbies now sells ripmax software only for $15 is being discontinued though.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:08 AM
LTV_A7D

Default Not XP compatible?

Anyone have any luck getting this sim to work with XP?

Steve
Old 04-30-2003, 12:15 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default sim

300lakota: will the ripmax($15) software work with a Dave Brown controller? Thanks John
Old 09-02-2003, 02:38 AM
antslake

I got mine to work with win 2000, I e-mail them and they sent me a new exe for win 2000/xp.
It is also available through thier website.