Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Any one Else wish they didn't buy G3?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Any one Else wish they didn't buy G3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Breakstuff5050

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any one Else wish they didn't buy G3?

That wouldnt of been a bad move for them to give a little 3D update for g2, bc now alot of people are disapointed in the price, they could have given g2 an upgrade on physics and planes just to keep g2 owners happy. But I am happy with g3 even though it cost a lot. Every update they do I become happier and happier and this next update is gonna make g3 awesome and in my opinion would way outdo AFP products.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:46 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

"Any one Else wish they didn't buy AFPD?" it would be locked or deleted immediately!!
Give it a try and find out!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:00 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Nah just l end up with a bunch of whiners like the ones you get if you say the funtana 90 is the big piece of crap it is (yes i said it) no i wont do a 40 post arguement with you about it
Old 05-10-2005, 05:11 PM
juanma

For me its the best investment that I ever made in this hobby. In a month a learned to make harrier rolling circles, and a can do it perfectly with my funtana90... Lots of guys here talk B@llsh$t of the G3 but anyway I can do harrier R. C. .......Can you???? In a month?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:12 PM
jaafit

ORIGINAL: afterburner
This is an upgrade in the sense " hey, this one works like it should". We better add some more features so we can sell it for $200.00 as opposed to just calling it a patch.
G3 was a complete re-write of everything. We started from scratch. Anyone buying G3 should know that we spent *lots* of time on this product (200+ man months and counting). We will continue to improve the product and those patches *will* be easier on the pocket. They'll be free.

To get back to reality, I just feel they should have had some break for G-2 owners or sell the software without the controller for $75.00 less.
We'd like to be able to sell the software without the controller but the controller is our sole protection against piracy. G3 won't run without it.

As far as supporting the product, I would say they supported it but not by much. How long were they having "server problems" if not still. I had to go through that stupid control panel to get an update as opposed to any other company where you can go to their website and manually dowload a patch. Why should I have to pay for a long distance phonecall because their server has issues for a month so they can give me their "super secret" web page where I can manually download the patch to get my "upgraded" software working.
This was an issue with upgrading G2 and has since been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are still supporting G2 as much as we can afford to. If you don't like calling tech support, you can always visit our [link=http://12.156.2.54/forums/index.php?]forums[/link] where we, the developers, help RealFlight users with problems or concerns.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Breakstuff5050

jaafit, do you know about when the next big update will be?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:58 PM
jaafit

I know when we are *planning* to release it. I'm not allowed to say though and even if I did say, I'd probably be wrong because we wouldn't be ready to release it when the time came. When it's ready, it will be by far the best patch we've released and not just for the reasons known publically!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Breakstuff5050

sweet! but you cant even give approximates, like... a month...2 months...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
Breakstuff5050

ORIGINAL: Breakstuff5050

here it is, im not sure why im posting it here but o well. I had to severly compress it due to web space. The sound and video quality is pretty poor but if you can ignore that then i think its a pretty col video. http://www.southsidefunnies.com/user...treme_0001.wmv
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=RFG3-Extreme

I think I worked it out, try this link, I really like this vid of g3. Its nothing but hovering, but Himple style ; ), whatchyall think of it? It might take a while to load : (.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
drumbum

ORIGINAL: juanma

For me its the best investment that I ever made in this hobby. In a month a learned to make harrier rolling circles, and a can do it perfectly with my funtana90... Lots of guys here talk B@llsh$t of the G3 but anyway I can do harrier R. C. .......Can you???? In a month?
What is harrier R.C. may i ask? if you mean harriers.. I learned them before i got a sim on the real thing .. Right now my favorite is reversing rolling harriers. which i learned in 2 days on G3 and nailed first try on my plane.(I allready could do them 1 direction only). I would have never practiced it untill i saw someone i was flying with ONLINE..
Old 05-10-2005, 07:39 PM
EXTRA ADDICT
My Feedback: (2)

Yea I wish I hadn't bought it! Because then I had to buy my wife and my best friend one! That could have been a 50cc yak or somthing but all kidding aside my wife has flown nothing but the sim and for 2 nights in a row now she has had my Mini Funtanna in the field above the house flying like a champ you cant ask for anything more than that I would say. Except for a refund because now I am gonna have to buy her a plane!!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Breakstuff5050

too funny!!! HA! Happened to me except with my best friend, until he ran my alpha trainer through a tree : ( , then i definintly had to sell something to buy a new plane!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
tf2psycho
Banned

wow my wife hates my planes she says its a boys hobbie [&o]
but then i get hit on by the chicks that walk there dogs where i fly so its all good
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 PM
drumbum

hey breakstuff, I saw you pop in and out when i was online tonight. I was trying out your YAK. BTW i sent you mine. I think we both have ours set up very simmilar. yours hovers easier and i think mine rolling harriers a little easier. the throws are a little different.. I like how you have the dual smoke on different switches.. both blender about the same. One day i will setup the flaperons and get some waterfalls out of them. You need to get your addons back. you will love My version of the Extra. i have it where it will pattern and 3D..

Where is your video. i remember seing you practice for weeks with your reversing prop plane i believe you were going to enter something. do you have a video of that?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Breakstuff5050

yea, I was just checking to see if multiplayer was working but my eyes were already tired from flying on g3 so much. But yea, i noticed that your yak was a little harder to TR, but i think my yak rolling harriers awesome, but thats cause i love rolling fast and in case you didnt notice there is a ton of aileron on that plane. About that video...i decided not to do the VTOC with the reverse pitch prop, i should have though, it would have been a definite win but now im not so sure, i dont like the video i turned in as much, i know I could have done better. But ill try to get online tonight. The video i just made for fun has some 5D in it, but i cant find anywhere to host it
Old 05-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Bayou Talker

If you think you should get an "upgrade" price on G3 just cause you bought G2, you surely haven't bought much computer software. Most completely new versions of a program are sold as "New" and the price shows it. I have purchased the last 3 Microsoft Flight Simulators that have come out and none of those were upgrades. They were sold as what they were....NEW programs. Do they do the same thing?? Basically yes but in a much better way than the one before. Does this mean that the old one had a problem? NO! technology has just advanced enough to make better things possible! If you want better and more realistic programs, you must be willing to pay for them. Do you work for free? Neither do the software engineers that labor for hours to make the program the best it can be. Are there some bugs in most programs that pop up after the software is released? Yes there are and a good company will work diligently to correct these as they are reported. How does this happen? There are thousands of lines of code in most programs today and errors are going to happen. These people are human after all. They also try very hard to test the product in as many variations as possible to discover the problem areas. However, they cannot envision all of the possible combinations of equipment, conflicting software, and user customizations in the market. That is why they need to be notified of a problem you are having in as quick and complete a manner as possible.

I have used the Knife Edge forums for the purpose of asking questions and getting help with something I did not understand and found the response to be very timely and correct. There are very significant differences between G2 and G3 and the available customizations possible with G3 and most of them it will take many hours to find on your own. I have found lots of tips reading the forums about things I had not even thought of but was sure glad I found out about.

G3 is a great product and gets better with every new release, but it does take a little from you to get the most out of it. First of all, to take full advantage of all of the features, you will have to own a very capable computer when it comes to graphics and memory. Second, you will have to spend time with the program to discover the power of the customizations available. Don't just start it up, pick an aircraft and start flying. Explore the program a while and learn what it has to offer before saying that it is not worth the money.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Breakstuff5050

That is true man! I encourage anyone that has g3 and dislike the physics to either download a plane from www.rickdelten.com or e-mail me and i'll give them my yak that flies extremly close to my real 35% edge. It will make a world of difference the way I have the expo and throws setup.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
drumbum

I have a nice flying EXTRA too if you have addon 4 just PM me ill send it to anyone thats interested
Old 05-16-2005, 09:54 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

BT
Would you have bought the last three MS Flight Simulators if they were $200.00 a pop? Probably not. MS's Simulators are supposed to be very realistic. I'm sure thousands of man hours have gone into writing thousands of lines of code for those programs. Do they need to sell the latest version as an upgrade? No. Because they sell it as a brand new version for $49.95. A reasonable price for a new simulator/game. The reason that these simulators are priced the way they are is because they know we'll pay that much for them. Is G3, AFPD, or Relex any more realistic than Microsoft's simulator in terms of graphics and realistic flight? Why is Microsoft's simulator $100.00 to $150.00 cheaper than RC flight simulators? Because I get a USB cable with a couple of connectors on it and a programmed chip or two buried in shrink wrap. Or maybe it's the Futaba controller carcass with a few switches and the same chip or two inside the box. The bottom line is that they will get whatever the market will bare and that's great. I have used G3 and I don't feel it was a gigantic step up from G2. It's definetely a great improvement but a whole new program? I'm not sure about that. Perhaps if Knifedge did'nt start with an upgrade system( Realflight to RF Deluxe Upgrade to RF G2 Upgrade) I would not have felt like G2 owners were left out in the cold with no other option but to plunk down another $200.00 for G3. JMO
Old 05-16-2005, 10:14 PM
drumbum

at todays gas prices that is only 2 weeks worth
Old 05-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Breakstuff5050

ORIGINAL: drumbum

at todays gas prices that is only 2 weeks worth
LMAO!!! Gas just went down to $ 2.01 in Shelby, NC

I have used G3 and I don't feel it was a gigantic step up from G2. It's definetely a great improvement but a whole new program? I'm not sure about that.
If you think about it you can definintly tell that it is an entire new program, look at the aircraft editor, nothing is like g2 on that part. Or aircraft select screen, or anything else you can think of is not the same as g2, and the physics are a huge step up, maybe you should think about trying the updated G3. Then you will see how great of a program G3 is.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Bayou Talker

Afterburner,

Would I have paid $200 for ANY program? Yes if i wanted it and thought it would be entertaining. I have gotten that much and more from my flight sims so I definitely don't regret buying them. I have bought other flight sims in the past that would not have been worth the price if they were free (which they weren't). I complained about them and brought them back when I could. If not, I just wrote it off to experience. Now when I look at software, I look around the net and see what otheres say about it as well as aking friends what they think. If I think I will be satisfied, I purchase it. If it comes as an upgrade, great, but if not I just pay the price. The G3 is at least as realistic as the Microsoft Products and is more of a new program than each generation from Microsoft.

Sounds to me you want the G3 but don't want to pay for it. That would be great if it were possible, but I wouldn't lose any sleep waiting for it to happen. If you are happy with what you have then great. If not purchase what will make you happy. Grumbling about the price of something you haven't bought and don't know if you will like or not is just wasting your time. Just make a decision and go for it and I hope you will be happy with whatever you get. After all that is the point of hobbies
Old 05-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Breakstuff5050

What I would do if I was in your shoes is buy g3 and if you dont like it take it back to the hobby shop you got it from and say your computer couldnt run it and get a full refund, but be sure that the hobby shop is cool enough to do that.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:37 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

BT,
You make good points. At the time I was ready to buy a simulator that could do 3D(a month or two ago) I did the usual investigating on this and other sites and it seemed that G3 was having issues and after seeing what other people have said, I went with AFPD. If I had not looked into making an informed decision, I probably would have gone with G3 just because I've had so much experience with G2. Would I like to have G3 also? Of course! Not speaking for any other RC flyer, I want it all. From flying a 3D foamie to a 40% aerobat to a turbine. That's what makes this hobby so great. The variety is endless. I wanted to buy G3 and I was willing to pay for it. After looking at the options and the four to five hundred already invested in Knifedge software, I wanted something different. Is AFPD perfect? No. The sound needs improvement as well as other things I'm sure. Is G3 perfect? I can't say cause I did'nt use it long enough. One question on G3. Since the security is built into the controller, can you dowload the patch in the conventional manner as opposed to the G2 type control panel? That control panel drove me crazy.

Marty
Old 05-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Bayou Talker

I really couldn't tell you. I have never had to try it. The control panel has functioned flawlessly through 3 upgrades including the Heli update, beta updates and the latest retail release. You might try asking that question on the Knife Edge Discussion Boards. I am sure you will get an answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.