Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

FS One by Hangar 9

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:40 PM
MSelig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FS one by Horizon Hobbies

preich -

When you plug your old Fut into the FS One USB Interface, do you see the sliders move inside the Windows Game Controller Gadget (control panel)? This is a test that is completely removed from the FS One app.

Michael
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 PM
MSelig

ORIGINAL: griffinmt

I find it almost inconcievable that some degree of testing with vista has not already been done, while the alpha program and beta program was in operation. It is not a question of asking people to hold off for six months while you start your testing, you should have been doing this (like every other hardware/software vendor wanting to make a profit wherever they can) more than six months ago.

When folks are buying new systems now and near future, they won't have a lot of choice which os it comes with. And you can be sure that those new systems have already gone through a significant amount of testing with all the packaged software they come with. Granted, there will be issues that arise for a while, but generally the systems will function. On the otherhand, upgrading the OS on existing systems may be worth waiting a while for, and doing some research in advance. But those are not the customers that are going to find fault with what you have (or haven`t) done yet.

I hope you manage to come away from this gracefully!
Martyn -

You might have missed what Brian said above: "We are currently doing testing with Vista. We're investigating various Vista issues and determining if we might want to offer a patched version that could offer improved performance under Vista. "

So we have done and are doing some degree of testing.

Having said that issues w/ Vista abound on the web, and we are not immune to these same issues.

I've read reports that games run slower w/ Vista (PC World, 25% slower or something like that). So there's not a lot of incentive to run out and go w/ Vista for a home gaming computer. I understand that in the work place, some people don't have OS choices ... but this is a sim and for home use where people are very much in control of what purchases they make. I'll add the PC vendors are not going to drop XP from the lineup ... because there are and will be issues w/ Vista.

Has anyone seen a glowing review of Vista? I've not seen anything that would prompt me to drop XP and buy Vista now. Of course, I/we will have Vista at some point in the future, and FS One will be compatible w/ it. We're working on it. It only makes sense to do this.

Michael
Old 01-28-2007, 08:57 PM
preich

ORIGINAL: MSelig

preich -

When you plug your old Fut into the FS One USB Interface, do you see the sliders move inside the Windows Game Controller Gadget (control panel)? This is a test that is completely removed from the FS One app.

Michael
Yes. From Control Panel/Game Controllers, the FSOne interface is listed and with the old Fut plugged in, under properties, I get movement on all 6 channels.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 PM
MSelig

ORIGINAL: preich

preich -

Michael
Yes. From Control Panel/Game Controllers, the FSOne interface is listed and with the old Fut plugged in, under properties, I get movement on all 6 channels.
Very good. Your hardware is good.

Let's try this. Start FS One. Go to Options | Messages and click on [] Use Default Options Upon Shutdown. Exit FS One.

This will set everything in the options back to the default install.

When you restart, you should see the Alpha40 airplane. Click on the Tx. Click on one of the Hitec Optic 6 Tx's. Click on Calibrate, and calibrate - move all six controls on your Tx. Click next next next etc until Finish.

Now do six sliders move in the FS One Tx window (the Hitec setup)?

Michael
Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
FSOneDev

I'd like to add a few more items/clarification:

1) We have already been testing with Vista and testing is continuing -- we have run the sim on Vista betas, but we feel that we need to do testing on a wide range of PCs with the final release version of Vista before declaring that the final version of Vista (not a beta version) is compatible with the sim.

2) Vista has known performance issues and we need to fully characterize those while using the final version of Vista (not a beta).

3) Understand that I'm not saying to hold off getting Vista because of our ongoing testing, I'm saying that history shows that it's best to hold off on getting any new OS, unless you are willing to have some problems. It's a matter that Vista is a new OS -- it has nothing to do with FS One or any other product.

4) You will have a choice for which OS is installed on a new PC -- if you don't, you may want to consider another PC vendor. :-)

I hope this helps clarify things. Griffinmt makes some valid points, but thankfully, our situation is a bit different from what he mentions. I think we're all "on the same page" here.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
preich

preich -

Michael
Very good. Your hardware is good.

Let's try this. Start FS One. Go to Options | Messages and click on [] Use Default Options Upon Shutdown. Exit FS One.

This will set everything in the options back to the default install.

When you restart, you should see the Alpha40 airplane. Click on the Tx. Click on one of the Hitec Optic 6 Tx's. Click on Calibrate, and calibrate - move all six controls on your Tx. Click next next next etc until Finish.

Now do six sliders move in the FS One Tx window (the Hitec setup)?

Michael
SUCCESS!

That worked. No program crashes, even in the calibrate utility. I chose the Optic 6 with 2 aileron servos and all worked, albeit throttle, rudder and elevator needed reversed. I reversed those at the radio rather than get into the xmitter edit routine that I have not had much luck with.

Now for my REAL goal....I just built a Hanger 9 .60 Corsair. I probably have a few months before the weather breaks for it's maiden flight, so my goal was to try and get a feel for it in FSOne. To do that I need to edit the transmitter to get the retracts and the airframe power system to configure for the SAITO 1.0 and 14X7 prop I am using. Hopefully I can do that without more program crashes.

But, with your help, at least I am flying the Alpha 40 with my old transmitter and everything is moving in the right directions.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM
MSelig

SUCCESS!

That worked. No program crashes, even in the calibrate utility. I chose the Optic 6 with 2 aileron servos and all worked, albeit throttle, rudder and elevator needed reversed. I reversed those at the radio rather than get into the xmitter edit routine that I have not had much luck with.

Now for my REAL goal....I just built a Hanger 9 .60 Corsair. I probably have a few months before the weather breaks for it's maiden flight, so my goal was to try and get a feel for it in FSOne. To do that I need to edit the transmitter to get the retracts and the airframe power system to configure for the SAITO 1.0 and 14X7 prop I am using. Hopefully I can do that without more program crashes.

But, with your help, at least I am flying the Alpha 40 with my old transmitter and everything is moving in the right directions.
Real good to hear! When using real radios, reversing some channels is par for the course.

To get the Corsair flying w/ one of the Software Radios in FS One, I suggest looking at this FAQ:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1027-FS1

It covers how to get a 4-ch Fut radio working w/ FS One. In your case, w/ a 6-ch Fut, you'd pick the "6 ch emu" setup as a baseline (vs the "4 ch emu" mentioned in the FAQ). Reassign the axes following the method as described. To do this, the Tx Editor is used to remap the axes.

BTW - I'm not sure what happened to the Options setup you had, but something apparently was confused and reverting back to the install defaults worked out the kinks. There should not really ever be a situation where someone needs to reinstall.

Michael
Old 01-29-2007, 10:11 PM
preich

SUCCESS!

Real good to hear! When using real radios, reversing some channels is par for the course.

To get the Corsair flying w/ one of the Software Radios in FS One, I suggest looking at this FAQ:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1027-FS1

It covers how to get a 4-ch Fut radio working w/ FS One. In your case, w/ a 6-ch Fut, you'd pick the "6 ch emu" setup as a baseline (vs the "4 ch emu" mentioned in the FAQ). Reassign the axes following the method as described. To do this, the Tx Editor is used to remap the axes.

BTW - I'm not sure what happened to the Options setup you had, but something apparently was confused and reverting back to the install defaults worked out the kinks. There should not really ever be a situation where someone needs to reinstall.

Michael
I'M FLYING!!!

I've been able to configure for the H9 Corsair and the H9 giant P-51, editing the copied Optic 6 transmitter for each. One thing I found out is that the more processes or TRS's as we used to call them, that you can kill prior to launching FSOne the better. (Makes sense, but I didn't think of it earlier) I have had no crashes since killing all of the TRS's that were running in the background.

I need to get more aileron throw on the Corsair, and I'll figure that out, but everything looks good so far and shows promise.

Thanks to Michael, I was able to get this up and running over a week-end when no other help could be expected. AND I never had to pick up the phone. If this is indicative of the service that can be expected from FS One, Hanger 9 and the developer, it is a breath of fresh air.

Thanks, Michael, for your efforts....and on a Sunday too.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 AM
MSelig

For more aileron throw, here's an FAQ that outlines one approach (the preferred approach):

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1003-FS1

Another way is to edit the servos (Servos tab). Make the control horn longer.

I like the method in the FAQ because the editable parameter is the max deflection in degrees, whereas when tweaking the servo control horn length the max deflection comes by trial and error.

Glad to help here. I think our tech support approach is to cover what we can here in the forums, and then Horizon/FSOne has their weekday toll free support.

Michael
Old 01-30-2007, 02:04 AM
Simo330

Just got my fs one pack today, installed it, registered and updated with the latest patch. One problem that I am having is this constant beeping noise in place of the engine noise. Sometimes for example I can start the flight with the Ultimate, once it is loaded the beeping starts, then I can start the engine and will hear that noise as well as the beeping. Once I take off and get a small distance between myself and the model there is no more engine noise, even when doing low and close passes, landing etc but this constant and annoying beeping noise continues.

Does anyone know how I can fix this one? I already have a headache from listening to it.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:48 PM
FSOneDev

ORIGINAL: Simy

Just got my fs one pack today, installed it, registered and updated with the latest patch. One problem that I am having is this constant beeping noise in place of the engine noise. Sometimes for example I can start the flight with the Ultimate, once it is loaded the beeping starts, then I can start the engine and will hear that noise as well as the beeping. Once I take off and get a small distance between myself and the model there is no more engine noise, even when doing low and close passes, landing etc but this constant and annoying beeping noise continues.

Does anyone know how I can fix this one? I already have a headache from listening to it.
The is a FAQ about this on the InertiaSoft website: [link=http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/index.html]http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/index.html[/link]

What type of sound card are you using?
Old 01-31-2007, 01:17 AM
Simo330

ORIGINAL: FSOneDev

ORIGINAL: Simy

The is a FAQ about this on the InertiaSoft website: [link=http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/index.html]http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/index.html[/link]

What type of sound card are you using?

The sound card I have is Realtek AC97. I have tried playing with the sound settings as in the FAQ with no joy. If I lower the the harware acceleration I can hear the engine noise of the Ultimate the whole flight but the beeping is just as strong. When the acceleration is high I can hear the engine noise from the Bobcat the whole time along with the beeping. The only time there is no beeping is when Mike is doing the tutorials. Also if I lower the acceleration right down the music quality drops and becomes quite scratchy.

Anymore ideas?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM
MSelig

Simy -

The beeping is coming from the variometer. We just added an FAQ item about this:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1047-FS1

We have had sound issues w/ the Audigy card, and there's an FAQ on that here:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1014-FS1

We have not heard of issues w/ the Realtek AC97.

Some people have solved the problem by updating the sound card driver. This approach might work in your case.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Michael
Old 01-31-2007, 08:29 PM
BAli

I am new to flight and would like some truth to how good is this sim.( fs one) Should I bother with this one or by Aero pro del.?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

B
Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
BAli

I am new to flight and would like some truth to how good is this sim.( fs one) Should I bother with this one or by Aero pro del.?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

B
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM
MSelig

I worked out the aerodynamics for the airplanes in the sim so I
obviously have my opinion.

But to keep my opinion out of the picture, we've posted some videos to
the fsone.com website. All videos are actual footage from FS One. To
highlight the aerodynamics, we've included a lot of aerobatics in the
videos. Aerobatics poses the greatest challenge to modeling vs flying
straight and level where *all* airplanes look alike. 3D flying is the
toughest thing of all. To model the 3D aero correctly means having to
take into account what happens when the flow comes at the airplane from
any direction at any speed.

The videos are here:

http://www.fsone.com/Features/Gallery.aspx

Also, some newer ones are here (unsorted):

http://www.inertiasoft.com/videos/

Besides the "3D aero", modeling spins is ***extremely*** complex.
Here's a video from FS One w/ many airplanes in spins:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/videos/fs...latedSpins.wmv

For comparison, here's the corresponding video of the real airplanes in spins:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/videos/fs1_RealSpins.wmv

So my reply is "you be the judge". That's my two cents.

Thanks for asking!

Michael
Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
godzilla95

Any word on when we can expect some new planes for FSOne?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:52 PM
Jimeni

I have several hangar 9 planes. If you fly them stock in the sim they are not realistically acurate at all. If you set the controller up like your radio, and edit plane( C.G., Propulsion, ECT) , you can get it very close. But you kinda have to have flown the plane to realize this. The engines in the sim are set more powerful than their live versions, so scale down, and over prop. Select DA-100 for sound if using glow, cause sound files for glow engines are terrible, electric is good. One plane that is close using default is the alpha 40, but that is it. 3D map quality sux, pano is really good, uses less resources too! Overall this is a great sim, and I'm sure will be better with patches and expansions.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Simo330

Simy -

The beeping is coming from the variometer. We just added an FAQ item about this:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1047-FS1

We have had sound issues w/ the Audigy card, and there's an FAQ on that here:

http://www.inertiasoft.com/fsonefaq/#Q1014-FS1

We have not heard of issues w/ the Realtek AC97.

Some people have solved the problem by updating the sound card driver. This approach might work in your case.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Michael
Thanks Michael for your help. Have turned off the variometer that stopped the beeping. Also had to turn down the hardware acceleration two notches to get the engine noise sounding ok. Seems to have been fixed now.

Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM
kmbgolf

I am a newb thinking of buying this before I purchase the real thing.I am only interested in helis,I think I heard somewhere thaat the tx doesnt work the same as a real heli would........remember I am a newb so I really dont know the guy at the shop kind of tried to explain the controller issue but I was lost............Anyone care to explain exactly what the ddiff with the helis or if I learn the con trols to this sim I can carry this over to the real thing......................thks
Old 02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
dojones

I have been using FSOne with my JR 5 channel radio and everything is working well except for the transmitter editor. I have mada a copy of the JR 4channel+EMU radio and have tried to edit it. However, many, if not all of the dialog boxes have the text panes and buttons in them, but there is no text in the text boxes and no labels for the buttons. So, I am unable to make any changes to the transmitter. Also, when I click "OK" to submit my "changes" from the transmitter editor window, FSOne quits and dumps me back to the Desktop. Any help would be gratly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 PM
eyecare

New Problum:

I just purchased a new computer (Notebook, HP 9200r with 2 megs of ram and goforce 7600graphics) and WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. FSOne loaded successfully, the 1.0.4 patch downloaded properly.

The sim works OK except, I cannot save any Airplane configuration or Tx configeration. When I change screens, I loose my Tx and need to copy a new one and the plane is gone if I go out of the program and then come back in.

Need some help here. (FSOne, are you listening?) VISTA may need your attention

THANKS, ......... Gene
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM
FSOneDev

ORIGINAL: eyecare

New Problum:

I just purchased a new computer (Notebook, HP 9200r with 2 megs of ram and goforce 7600graphics) and WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM. FSOne loaded successfully, the 1.0.4 patch downloaded properly.

The sim works OK except, I cannot save any Airplane configuration or Tx configeration. When I change screens, I loose my Tx and need to copy a new one and the plane is gone if I go out of the program and then come back in.

Need some help here. (FSOne, are you listening?) VISTA may need your attention

THANKS, ......... Gene
Gene,

Being unable to save aircraft or tx configs sounds like a possible file permissions problem. Are you running with administrator permissions?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
brumey

To FSOne - I purchased FSOne as my primary tool to learn Helis's. My choice was based on LHS recommendations although I am not questioning it. From what I can find it has no trainer mode for Heli's and other say the heli physics are poor.

When will more Heli's be available and a training mode?

Can anyone comment on if FSOne can be used to learn and practive AutoRotations?

Grahics are nice on a capable machine. Support website is limited at best. It needs the forum opened up for posting.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM
FSOneDev

ORIGINAL: brumey

To FSOne - I purchased FSOne as my primary tool to learn Helis's. My choice was based on LHS recommendations although I am not questioning it. From what I can find it has no trainer mode for Heli's and other say the heli physics are poor.

When will more Heli's be available and a training mode?

Can anyone comment on if FSOne can be used to learn and practive AutoRotations?

Grahics are nice on a capable machine. Support website is limited at best. It needs the forum opened up for posting.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin,

We are working on more fixed-wing aircraft and helis. These will be available as soon as possible.

We are also working on adding heli training lessons, which will be released via a patch.

Issues with heli physics are often a matter of opinion and/or a result of transmitter settings being different from a pilot's personal, preferred settings. For example, how one's transmitter is configured can have a big change in how the flight performance and handling is perceived by any pilot -- either fixed-wing or heli. People often want to edit an aircraft to get the performance that they feel is more "real". Many people often find that by editing a heli and/or the tx they then feel that the physics is accurate -- others feel it's accurate right "out of the box"...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.