Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Will this system work with Realflight G3?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Will this system work with Realflight G3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:31 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Will this system work with Realflight G3?

Ok, I bit the bullet last night and ordered me a Dell XPS Pentium D 940 (3.20 GHz)
with 1 GB ****M, 250gb hard drive, with a 256 nVidia Geforce 7300LE turbocach video card with a 19 inch digital flat monitor . I just couldnt stand my 20 year old computer any longer(the old one takes about 15 minutes just to boot up !!)
I wanted to know from you cumputer gurus out there if you think this is an ideal system to run G3 on since I know very little about computers? Can you let me know asap about this please?
Thanks in advance for your reply/ help !!
John
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM
nemo_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will this system work with Realflight G3?

Hi John,

Once you have your machine one way to be sure is download the demo (approximately 80 MB) ...

http://video1.hobbico.com/demo/RealFlightG3Demo.exe

If the demo runs OK then the full version should be OK

regards,

Tony
Old 08-04-2006, 11:13 AM
JohnMcGowan

Thanks Tony,
so you see no problems with the video card I have chosen? I took a look at the video card compatability list but I didnt see this card listed ( looks like the list is a few years old? .)
Just looking at what I listed, you think I'm ok with everything ?
Thanks again!!!
John
Old 08-04-2006, 11:33 AM
nemo_uk

Hi John,

The card is relatively new so hopefully you shouldn’t have any Direct X 9 problems which have plagued people with older cards. The main issue is the frame rate you can expect from it since it’s not a very fast card (hence its $60 price tag)

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....1=388&card2=31

I'd download the demo and see how it performs.

AeroFly Pro and Reflex XTR require a lot less resources.

Regards,

Tony

Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 AM
ifr2lax

JM,

I am in the same situation you WERE in! My computer is a 450 P-4, 256 dating to 1998...still shopping.

You have a good 3.2? processor...1 meg ram...good platform I think...all the core stuff you need.

If you eventually NEED more RAM, that is a VERY easy upgrade...another 1.0 stick is not much more of less than $100.

As to the video card....the card manufacturers make it VERY difficult to compare performance from the specs or model numbers...I think you are right...the video card chart they give is out of date.

The Nvidia? card...7300 turbo/cache sounds like a good basic card...

According to either? the Dell or HP site it uses a "shared memory"...I guess that means that in a demanding environment...3-d, shadows...the card will need to utilize whatever left over capacity you have in RAM... OK...so if 1 meg RAM seems inadequate...add a stick of RAM!

If, even then it seems slow?, you could upgrade the video card...I think the Nvidia 7600 GT is one of the better mid-range cards but about $200...there is also 7600 GS...NOT as fast...but the names are intentionally similar so it gets thrown in to a package and make you feel your getting something you are not by lowering the proce.

I have used G-3 on my friends HP...2.6 pentium, 512 RAM, some 4 year old entry level RADEON? card, it works OK!

I suppose it could be better, but it worked.

For the basic purpose of getting "left/right...coming/going" control repsonse and more "feel" for a transmitter...I learned more in two 30 minute sessions on the sim than I had picked up in sporadic trips to the field with the old "Slow-Stick"...

Maybe some more users will post some practical experience...bet your system works well.

Pete
Old 08-05-2006, 05:49 PM
matt3D

You will be able to run it on high graphics and full aa with no problem....
Nicely done on your xps 400...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
JohnMcGowan

WOW!!!! I like me some G3 now!!
I got my dell delivered Monday evening and set it all up but I had not bought G3 yet. So yesterday I stopped by the LHS and purchased it and went home and did the install. Keep in mind I had never seen or played G3 before so I was sorta going out on a limb, so to speak.
IT IS GREAT!!!!! I already fly regular rc so I was familiar with flying. I went into the planes selection and picked the spacewalker and scaled it up to about the size mine is (a plans built 1/3 scale with a saito 150 4 stroke). It looked identical to it and flew just as good!!!!!
**Just a note: the Nvidea Gforce 7300 LE video card works very well- that was one of my concerns since it was a lower priced card from Dell. I have all the graphics turned up to max and I'm getting a frame rate of anywhere between 35 to 40 just sitting still to about 50 to 60 flying around. Is that pretty decent? Everything looks good as far as I can tell.
Now if I could just learn to fly those dang choppers LOL!!!!
Can anyone tell me how to import any of the larger saito engines into the engine selection, or is that impossible to do? Also, is there any WW2 fighters out there I can import(beside the mustang), or is that something I have to buy an upgrade for?
I flew the big yak last nite and its a blast and I could just about imagine that the rc version flies real close to the G3 one.
I'm impressed with G3 !!!!
Now just to learn what all the bells and whistles are and how to use them
Thanks guys and if you have any tips for me , please give me a shout.
John