Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Which flight sim to buy???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Aerofly Pro
30.36%
Reflex XTR
16.07%
FS One
8.93%
G3
44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Which flight sim to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
flyrccg
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which flight sim to buy???

Thinking about getting a new flight sim. and not sure which one to buy. I have G2 now and have never used anything else. Has anyone flown the new ones, like Aerofly Pro, Reflex XTR, or FS One from horizon, that can compare them? Why do you like one better than the other?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
twistercp

Default RE: Which flight sim to buy???

you missed one off - i just got the phoenix sim,
and i would recommend it to anybody looking to buy
phoenix-sim.com

MarkG
Old 08-29-2006, 02:17 PM
NightOne

I didn't vote as I don't own a Sim yet, but I am interested in seeing the results of this poll even if it ends up being a popularity contest.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:21 PM
supac

ClearView is awesome, you should include it in your list there bucko
Old 08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
ALMA

Every day the same question????[:@]
Old 08-30-2006, 03:16 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: ALMA

Every day the same question????[:@]
exactly![:@]
Old 08-30-2006, 04:15 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the question is fatally flawed. Almost nobody owns all the simulators, and very few own more than one. So there really aren't any out there who know which would be the best.

And what we get are results that show which sim was bought most by whomever happens to see the poll and then chooses to vote.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
nose-over

Rediculous question that can't be answered except by VERY few people. It is only a "which sim do you own poll". That is all. Over at Rc groups they finally got wise ant put up a sticky that is titled "which sim is best". Inside the thread are links to all the rediculous "which sim is best" threads over the last few years. Get to readin ya lazy newbies!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:24 PM
flyrccg

If you read the question in the first post it reads, has anyone FLOWN the sims not OWNS all of them. I'll try to be a little more clear and talk really slow for some of you. Sorry, for all of you guys with common since.

Has anyone flown more than one and likes one better than the other and why?
Old 08-30-2006, 10:19 PM
matt3D

I have afp(d) and G3, afpd is good for everything, I mean the simulation and graphics are awsome. G3 is awsome as well, after flying g3, I went back to afpd and noticed that some of the big gassers felt floaty like the foamies, but you can easly fix that by adding more weight... G3 is cool because they have a multiplayer option, its fun flying with other people 90% of the time. But I still believe that afpd has better graphics, it also has more airplanes that you can download... Whatever your choice is, you will not be dissapointed.

Regards,
Matt
Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 AM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

I too have both AFPD and G3. They are both great. Each has some positives and negatives but you can't go wrong with either. I will probably buy FS One as well. It's more fun having more sims to play with. Keeps it interesting.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:57 AM
flyrccg

Thanks for your opinion guys. The only one that I have access to at the LHS is a G3 demo. I'll have to get over there and try it. I plan to use it primarily for practice and learning maneuvers for my gassers (without busting up a $2500 plane) and the G2 just doesn't cut it.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:49 PM
ALMA

Hi christoph, (50%)... so too see every day exactly the same answers too...... ( LOL)
Personally i have on one sim more than enough, ssooo much feedback.....
AFPD thus!!
Old 08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

I bought G3 not because of Graphics, Physics, avaliable models or anything to do with how it works..

It was simply avaliability and $$

I was going to get AFPD but my LHS is not an Ickarus (sp?) dealer and couldn't get it.
I ended up getting G3 through tower because of a free $25 gift certificate, $30 off the order, free shipping and no tax...
pulling off a 2nd $52 order using the Gift Certificate and a $20 off $50 code for $14 shipped was a nice bonus.

One other thing to look at is can your PC run the software smoothly?
I thought my 2.13ghz Dell Latitude 810 laptop with a 128meg Raidion X600 video card and a Gig of memory could do the job..

I can fly the photo fields ok but the 3D fields with a lot of objects like the obstacle corse are a bit choppy.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:26 PM
iraqvet

I attempted to try Clearview tonight...not a bad looking SIM but the trial is only 5 minutes long! I was trying it out on the keyboard and after a minute or so, the doorbell ran and I left it running - when I came back to the PC, the trial period had ended...so much for the trial. Maybe I'll download another trial on other PC when my USB/TX cable comes in a give it a second look.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
skirtz

Hi there,

The trial period for [link=http://rcflightsim.com]ClearView[/link] is 40 minutes. When you set up the controller, the time does not run. The time left is shown at the top of the screen. Given the price of the sim (only $30) for 30 models and eight fields the trial time seems reasonable to me. No other sim provide more trial time and the RF G3 demo while not timed, is limited to the keyboard. Whenever a new ClearView version is released, you can download it and get another 10 minitest trial time to check out the version. ClearView RC Flight Simulator is under active development and improvement and typically, there are few new versions released per month, so you will have plenty of time to evaluate the simulator. As the author of the sim I can say (and that is my opinion only) that the models in CV fly as good as the models in any $200 sim (Which I have and test and compare to ClearView on daily basis). I hope your experience will confirm that.

Stefan
http://rcflightsim.com
Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I have had the pleasure of having all three of these software packages on my computer. I also do fly 40%'s - have a sponsorship (and not from any software company/distributer) and have flown most brands including the big three . . . Carden, Comp Arf, Aeroworks. I know Nothing of heli's however so will not even try to talk about them.

Reflex

Positives
1 - It tells you when you log out if your transmitter is still on.
2 - if you pull the throttle and trim all the way back your engine stops.
3 - The sound effects are pretty nice.
4 - It has a torque roll trainer. It will let you work on one axis at a time while it hold the others for you. I don't know if this would help someone to learn or not.
5 - Nice eye candy.

Some mixed features
1 - The flight line bar O.K I understand the idea and it makes sense, but it should be on a toggle switch. And yes I know you can fly around it if you fly far enough away.
2 - I assume it is a feature that if you fly very close to yourself very fast the "virtual head" can't turn fast enough so their is a delay as you turn around.
3 - I assume it is a feature that if you fly even closer to yourself (ouch) you get a reset. Toggle would be nice here to.

Negatives
1 - Most other 3D doesn't not feel right. Harriers and rolling harriers are way off.
2 - Where is a good Extra ?

G3

Positives
1 - Hot key so you can increase / decrease wind speed without going into settings.
2 - lessons from Frank and Jason. I would have liked to play with them more, but ran out of time.
2 - E3D flew well out of the box.

Mixed
1 - Obstacle course for flying field. Yes I know it's editable, but ever field I tried had too much stuff. I didn't want to edit I wanted to fly! I ended up using the slope soaring field just so there was nothing around and turned the wind down

Negatives
1 - Could not download and install patches. would just crash the application.
2 - Could not install addons (not 1,2,3 or four) would crash the application.
3 - That Yak is not Giant Scale.
4 - G2 was better!

AFPD

Positives
1 - Closest to the real thing I have flown.
2 - Turn on wind and turbulence and they are very realistic feeling. Slope and thermals as well.
3 - Balloon Popping! = great torque roll practice.
4 - Plenty of downloads - both planes and fields
5 - Eye candy.
6 - Ability to switch from an interactive 3d environment to a 3d photo = best of both worlds
7 - Very easy graphical interface to modify plane size, shape, weight, etc.
8 - 40% feel like 40% and foamies feel like foamies.

Mixed
1 - the process of "painting" a plane seems complex, however there are plenty of downloads.
2 - why does the stock extra have so much incidence?

Negatives
1 - could not get a Futaba 6A to work with the sim (and it worked perfect with refex and in real life) (both my JR 10X and Airtronics 4 channel worked great, but I didn't want to beat my 10x and the 4 has no duel rates).
2 - Sounds could be better.
3 - The settings for prop - is that 2 blade or three blade? can it be changed? Could spool up time be longer for three blade props?
4 - You can take the 80" Christan Eagle and bring it up to 45 lbs and 60 degrees of elevator and it still doesn't "bite" (snap with a sudden hard pull of elevator.

Personal notes:
1 - People say there is no coupling with AFPD - well sometimes there should be more, but when I apply rudder to the Extra it rolls and tucks (slowly)
2 - People say that you need to increase the sim speed for AFPD, I don't think they are flying a 40%. My Carden 40% Extra flies slower than the sim.
3 - It would be nice if the first two positives from reflex and the first one to G3 could be added to AFPD.

With all this said and done which is still on my system? AFPD and G2!

Which do I fly mostly? AFPD. Hands down the best for 3D.

Rob

P.S. I would like to thank Peter for lending me his Reflex and G3 so I could make an honest comparison.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 PM
flyrccg

Now thats the kind of response I was looking for. A real comparison from someone that has flown more than one. Thanks for the response, Rob.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-01-2006, 12:15 PM
da Rock

G3
Positives
1 - Hot key so you can increase / decrease wind speed without going into settings.
2 - lessons from Frank and Jason. I would have liked to play with them more, but ran out of time.
2 - E3D flew well out of the box.
Mixed
1 - Obstacle course for flying field. Yes I know it's editable, but ever field I tried had too much stuff. I didn't want to edit I wanted to fly! I ended up using the slope soaring field just so there was nothing around and turned the wind down
Negatives
1 - Could not download and install patches. would just crash the application.
2 - Could not install addons (not 1,2,3 or four) would crash the application.
3 - That Yak is not Giant Scale.
4 - G2 was better!
I would suggest that those negatives indicate that you didn't actually fly the G3 that most everyone will have available to them.

I have flown all three and my pc had no problem with any downloads or patches or addons or planes and fields downloaded from the internet for either of the three sims. If it was available for the sim, it worked. G2 does work better on older pc's, but if yours is new, then it's not working well. And not having the sim working well appears to have kept you from actually judging accurately.

All the LHS in my area have G3 running full time in their shops. It'd be quite easy around here to get a good judgement of the sim from an install like that. They're not using very up to date pc's either. And the clerks at one of the shops can show you just how deep the sim is and point out what they like or dislike. I mention this because the section of your review that I quoted really seems to disqualify the review as being from one who has sampled all three. But other than that, good info.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
da Rock

flyrccq,
It is a great idea to swing by the LHS that has G3 running.

When I bought G3, I spent about an hour with a clerk at one LHS and had him show me "what he liked" about it. It beat the devil out of sifting through the booklet. And I noticed how excited he got flying some of the airplanes. So after he'd gone through my list of questions, I asked him if he had the other sim they were selling. Yup. And he offered to sell it to me at a good price. Told me something there, didn't it. And then I asked him what he didn't like about G3. And then I asked him which airplanes he'd flown in the sim were ones he had experience with as models. And if they flew realistic on the sim. I found out that everything he said was pretty close to what I found out myself later.

It's worthwhile to hear from a user that has decent experience with an item.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

darok - I should have mentioned that when i did this G3 was brand new. I understand they have fixed a lot of these now. So let's add another negative to g3. When they released it, it was still in Beta.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:24 AM
da Rock

RobT,
You seem compelled toward the negatives for G3. I'd like to respectfully suggest that you've actually not used it by your own admission and the load failures you have witnessed seem out of the norm from what all the guys at my field have experienced. None of them have had the least bit of trouble installing and there are some who have no experience with computers at all.

From using G3, I would have taken the list of positives you've attributed to AFPD and used that for my description of G3. I got G3 when it was new too, at least my box was one of the originals the LHS received. But then, I got it to install without a problem, and my pc was good enough to run it without a hickup. And of course, all the updates dl'd without a problem and installed in a snap for me. And I've helped a couple of pc-challenged guys update theirs, and seen old pc's suck that stuff right in.

Since I have experience with G3's simulation this might be a pertinent substitution:

G3 Positives
1 - Closest to the real thing I have flown.
2 - Turn on wind and turbulence and they are very realistic feeling. Slope and thermals as well.
3 - Obstacle course = great torque roll practice.
4 - Plenty of downloads - both planes and fields
5 - Eye candy.
6 - Ability to switch from an interactive 3d environment to a 3d photo = best of both worlds
7 - Moderately easy graphical interface to modify plane size, shape, weight, strength etc.
8 - 40% feel like 40% and foamies feel like foamies.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Kanain
My Feedback: (1)

While I must preface with that fact that all is subjective, I would not and have not hesitated to recommend G3. For those that say "few have all and can suggest", I have all but FS One and spent about twenty minutes with that one. We have reviewed all before, search the forum for complete information. I fly several aspects of R/C including LSF, pylon, pattern, IMAC and freestyle (3D) so I know a "floaty" plane both real and simulated when I fly one. They are NEVER as floaty in real life as in AFP. This is why so many AFPD folks are awesome 3der's in the sim, but you don't see the same folks ringing it out at the field. All can make you a better pilot of used properly. Try and buy is your best course of action.

I cannot agree with the negative side comments concerning G3 - Wind speed and direction are on Hot Keys, never had upgrade problems if software is registered properly. Even if a server was temporarily down, there was always support. The KE folks have been extreemly supportive.

Reflex has new updates that anyone flying that sim should try. AFPD - haven't touched it in a long time. If you want it, I can make you a good deal. FS One - didn't initially like it, but it has potential.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:45 PM
flyrccg

So far, like I suspected, G3 and AFPD are neck and neck. I don't think I'd go wrong with either. I would prefere to have the one that does fly like the real planes, at least 30-35% planes as these are the planes that I fly the most.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Nick M

It appears flight sims are good overall and I want to get into RC airplanes in the spring. Right now I'm leaning towards the G3 based on all I've read. Now, what about a plane? I think I want to start electric and I like some of the foam Hobby Zones like the Super Cub RTF. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Anti-Crash feature. Now, I'm not naive enough to think this will "prevent" me from crashing, but does it have some merit and help to "prolong" the ability to recover?
Other suggestions for beginner electric or gas are welcome. I don't have a lot of building tools, so I'd like to remain in the ARF to RTF categories at this time.
Thank you.

Also, I just joined today. Any idea how to post a new message altogether? I can't seem to find the "Post New Thread (message) button. What am I missing?

-Nick M

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.