Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:44 AM
R C Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The "Flight Sim for Mac" Protest!

I would like a flight sim for mac . My problem is that I have a PowerBook, so I cant get bootcamp, but oh well, will have to use my sucky dell desktop [:@]
Old 09-29-2006, 06:34 AM
panderson

Strange but true, the first Flight Simulator as we know it today was written for the mac. It became Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:35 AM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: panderson

Strange but true, the first Flight Simulator as we know it today was written for the mac. It became Microsoft Flight Simulator.
Just like the Windows we know today started on the Mac.

Windows = Mac - 2 years + bugs
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 PM
DADAINO
My Feedback: (11)

I have an Intel Mac with the Parallels Software. If you go to the Apple website they will tell you that Parallels does not support DX7 the DX9 software necessary to run games of which simulators are a segment. You will have to download Boot Camp 1.1 which will support gaming and therefore the simulator software. Just thought you might be interested in knowing this. I for one wish that someone would write simulation software for the Mac.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Icebird

Umm, I don't think so. I ran the original MS Flight Simulator in 1981, and there were no Macs back then. That was about the time of the Apple III, (a machine that would set itself on fire on your desktop) and the Apple Lisa (predecessor the the Mac, with a 9600 baud interface for the HD.)

Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I think the first RC flight sim was written for the Commodore 64.

It came with a "transmitter" and worked decently and looked as good as most back then.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:07 PM
R C Jack

ORIGINAL: Icebird

Umm, I don't think so. I ran the original MS Flight Simulator in 1981, and there were no Macs back then. That was about the time of the Apple III, (a machine that would set itself on fire on your desktop) and the Apple Lisa (predecessor the the Mac, with a 9600 baud interface for the HD.)

I am sorry, but I have to disprove you, most of the Microsoft operating system is based off of the Macintosh software, MS just got to IBM before Apple did. If you look at the up and coming Vista, they are once again copying Macintosh (program scroller for example.) I don't mean to be rude, just stating the facts.

But I agree, there should definately be a G3, or FS One for Mac.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:32 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: R C Jack

I am sorry, but I have to disprove you, most of the Microsoft operating system is based off of the Macintosh software, MS just got to IBM before Apple did. If you look at the up and coming Vista, they are once again copying Macintosh (program scroller for example.) I don't mean to be rude, just stating the facts.

Actually both Mac OS and Windows were stolen from Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Before claiming Vista is copying OSX, you gotta know that Microsoft stole the lead user interface designer from Apple. I own a Mac and a PC and have been using both platforms for 20 years.

I had G3 running on my MacBook Pro via boot camp and it ran well. The chances of a RC sim being released specifically for the Mac is next to none. It would be impossible to make a profit on all ten Mac users who also fly RC planes.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:44 PM
R C Jack

Sadly, I have to completely agree with you. There will most likely not be a specific "Mac Compatible" sim due to the fact that the newer macs can run windows. Also, looks like I got my facts a little messed up riotgear [:-]. When its finally time to get rid of this PowerBook, I will definately be sure to get a sim the same exact day. I am leaning towards FSone, but we will have to see.

P.S. Looks like im the 11th one.

ORIGINAL: riotgear

ORIGINAL: R C Jack

Actually both Mac OS and Windows were stolen from Xerox Palo Alto Research Center. Before claiming Vista is copying OSX, you gotta know that Microsoft stole the lead user interface designer from Apple. I own a Mac and a PC and have been using both platforms for 20 years.

I had G3 running on my MacBook Pro via boot camp and it ran well. The chances of a RC sim being released specifically for the Mac is next to none. It would be impossible to make a profit on all ten Mac users who also fly RC planes.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM
dubd

No sweat RC Jack! It's good to see other Mac users who fly RC planes. We're a special bunch.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:55 PM
onlyfinol
My Feedback: (9)

I'm a Mac user as well, and I want also to see a sim for Mac.
Jim is right about the numbers of mac user not attracting sim programers. But I think that will change because more people are going mac, since iPop came to the market. Also, apple are hitting harder and harder with publicity. Have you notice in the latest movie when they show someone using a computer, the computer it happens to be a Mac? Just pay more attention to any new release movie.
I think Mac it is better machine than PC, or should I say PS...? However, I still want to have a sim right now, so I am tempted to buy a PC just for that, may not. I better wait, or keep flying my real birds.
Later !!!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:09 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I stopped by my local Apple store tonight and asked them if I brought a "game" in if they could install it on a iMac with bootcamp so i could see the performance. The representative at Apple told me to do it during the week when the store was relatively empty and he would have no problem doing it. It will be awhile before I can stop by with enough time during the week to do this, but when i get a chance I will report back here. ("all" I have is AFPD but that will do) If someone could do something similar with other Apple stores we should have a good idea how well this works. Especially if they can try G3.5 and FsOne.

Rob
Old 10-13-2006, 11:37 PM
dubd

I ran bootcamp on my MacBook Pro 2.16ghz, which is pretty comparable to the iMac. Performance is on par with an average PC.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Mythbuster

I am running the Ikarus Pro Deluxe on my MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz under Windows XP with Bootcamp. No problems whatsoever and Graphics and Speed are great. Especially since Bootcamp is available, I doubt that Software developers will compile a pure Mac Version for FlightSims.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM
pilot!

Hey! You guys are missing a great sim!..."X-Plane"!....

I know, I know...that's NOT an R/C sim, but considering that it's written on and for the Mac, and then "ported" over to the Wintel world...just thought you ought to know! And if you want to know HOW your particular a/c will fly in the real world, this is the one that will show you! It's even approved by the FAA for certain parts of full-scale flight training!

On another point, to Icebird...I'm afraid that you're both right and wrong...

You may have run "MS Flight Sim" on a PC, but it WAS written (long before the "MS" was added to the title...when M$ did one of their early "takeover/buyouts") for the Mac, and the Atari 400/800 (yep...remember them? <g>), and I believe, even for the C-64, and ran on those good ol' wonderful green-screen (or amber, if you were using one of those!), and it was unbelievably primitive, compared to today's graphics...

For that matter, Word and Excel were ALSO written for the Mac, then eventually ported to the PC...and on, and on. Bill (Gates) just _happened_ to be sitting in the right place at the right time, or M$ would probably have disappeared when his daddy's money ran out and his then-partner discovered that he'd been had. There's a LOT of "history" in the computer business that has been "re-written" by the folks in Redmond (and elsewhere)..."The winner gets to write the history books!"

Bottom line though...there ARE more peecees out there than Macs, and the almighty dollar still determines which platform gets the most software written for it. It simply amazes me that no one has yet decided to write THE "definitive" R/C sim for Mac. They would have the market to themselves, and don't let 'em kid you...a LOT of folks would buy it, even if they've never touched a real R/C airplane. After all...FS sells pretty well, and most users have never even been IN a GA a/c! Lots of would-be pilots out there, and if they could, for a hundred bucks or so, have the opportunity to fly one any time they wished, they would!

Regardless of all of the above, the move by Apple to Intel processors will bring it to reality in the next year or so, so be patient!

<Jack>
AMA 7897
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
adaptabl

If these MAC "computer" users would upgrade to a real computer, they would have lots of choices. If not they can just enjoy thier Itune starage box.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:50 PM
NightOne

ORIGINAL: riotgear

The "raid" at Xerox PARC doesn't go down exactly like that. For the complete story on how the Mac was made, check out the following book which was put together by one of the key members of the original Mac team.

Basically, the basic concept of WIMP (Windows, Icons, Mouse, and Pointer) was lifted from Apple's visit to PARC. However, what was seen at PARC was significantly different than what became the Mac OS. The book chronicles what they went through to develop the Mac OS and hardware platform.

In contrast, it was Bill Gates who told his people that he wanted a Mac on IBM hardware. (Windows)

Windows was truly a ripoff of the Mac OS. (and still is)

[link=http://www.amazon.com/Revolution-Valley-Andy-Hertzfeld/dp/0596007191/sr=1-1/qid=1161041890/ref=sr_1_1/002-9752311-8271208?ie=UTF8&s=books]Revolution in the Valley[/link]
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys,

I have always had macs and had to buy a pc to run Reflex Xtr. I would much prefer to have a flight sim designed for mac to avoid all of the problems that windows brings with it! Count me as number 12 then!
Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 PM
lsnover
My Feedback: (19)

Guys:

Be patient. There is technology from the OpenSource community called WINE that will allow a Mac to run MANY Windows applications under OSX WITHOUT A COPY OF WINDOWS. It is basically a Windows function emulator that runs beneath the surface of the OS, for lack of a better description.

The solid rumor is that the game companies have put together a consortium of sorts that will allow PC Games to use a derivitive of this "WINE" technology and allow Windows Games to run IN MAC OSX without licensing Windows. From what I've been told, this WILL require the game company to makes some modifications to the game and include some extra Mac specific bits during installation, but these are minor requirements. If the game company joins the consortium and uses this technology, their game will run under OSX pretty much TRANSPARENTLY to the user. To the user the game will run and act as if it where a native Mac game, it will be just us this alternative Windows API under the hood.

It represents a minimal investment for the game company and opens up a few million extra potential customers. Whether the Simulator companies will bite or not, I cant say. In the mean time, boot camp seems to be a good way to go on the Macintel boxes. Also Parrallels does not currently support the 3D video capabilties of the Macintel Machines, but I understand that they will have Active X support and and full support of the video cards in a future release. This will make running Windows games much more convenient. No reboot under XP to make it work!

Is anyone running Aeroflight Pro Deluxe successfully under boot camp? Can you comment on the performance?

Cheers!
Lee
Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 PM
pywackit

Hey Guys, I'm Mac user too and I really don't want to buy a windows based pc to run a simulator. If I'm understanding you I might be able to run a sim on my G3 mac with bootcamp? I know it's an old mac but it works. I haven't kept up with mac products at all but do like them better then windows. I'm on the computer all day at work and it's a XP which works good for the most part but my mac works better. I'd like to run RealFlight G3 on my mac G3. Guess we have to wait for RobT to find out what happens at the mac store.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: pywackit

Hey Guys, I'm Mac user too and I really don't want to buy a windows based pc to run a simulator. If I'm understanding you I might be able to run a sim on my G3 mac with bootcamp? I know it's an old mac but it works. I haven't kept up with mac products at all but do like them better then windows. I'm on the computer all day at work and it's a XP which works good for the most part but my mac works better. I'd like to run RealFlight G3 on my mac G3. Guess we have to wait for RobT to find out what happens at the mac store.
pywackit:

Sorry, the old G3s, G4s and G5s WILL NOT fill the Bill. You must have one of the new Intel based Macs. Bootcamp allows you to run a full version of Windows on your Intel based Mac. You can boot it up as a full blown Windows machine or a full blown Mac. The Motorolla/IBM PowerPC Macs will not work.

The new Macs are very nice, if youre ready for an upgrade, and should run the Windows simulators very well.

Cheers!
Lee
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Sorry, as i said they wanted me to bring it in during the week, and I do work...so it will be a while.

My Macbook is a work machine, and I cannot install games / bootcamp on it period. (plus it does not have a video processor).

My wife has an intel based imac, but said "Please don't install windoze on my mac. I don't want any microcrash stuff on my machine." How can I argue with logic like that!)

Rob
Old 10-25-2006, 04:47 PM
lsnover

ORIGINAL: RobT

Sorry, as i said they wanted me to bring it in during the week, and I do work...so it will be a while.

My Macbook is a work machine, and I cannot install games / bootcamp on it period. (plus it does not have a video processor).

My wife has an intel based imac, but said "Please don't install windoze on my mac. I don't want any microcrash stuff on my machine." How can I argue with logic like that!)

Rob
Rob:

Yeah, the plain MacBook (not Pro), will not do very well with 3D games. The integrated video is a bit underpowered. The mid to upper end iMacs (new models) have a good video board and should work.

I just ordered a MacPro (desktop), so hopefully in a few days, we will see how well it works.

Cheers!
Lee
Old 10-25-2006, 06:36 PM
FSOneDev

BTW -- Harley Licht posted in the topic "FS one by Horizon Hobbies" that he is running FS One on an Apple MacPRO Dual Dual Core desktop, using Bootcamp and Windows XP Home with a 7300 video card and 4 gigs of memory. He reports that FS One works on the Mac as well as it does on his HP PC.

As far as developing a native Mac sim is concerned, it is often hard to justify the development expense associated with a Mac-native port, given the limited numbers of potential users. Software development for RC sims is incredibly expensive and it would be easy to potentially loose money in developing a Mac-port.

For the near-term, it appears that Bootcamp offers an alternative, but it does require Windows and we all know how Mac users generally want to avoid that.

We (InertiaSoft, the developer of FS One) will be studying the Mac market to determine whether we could consider a Mac-native port of FS One -- but we have not made a definitive decision at this point in time.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
lsnover

Brian:

As a software developer myself (cross platform, but not games), I fully understand the costs.

I would be very interested to know your thoughts on the technology mentioned in this article:

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/03/cider/index.php

http://www.transgaming.com/index.php...isplay&ceid=24

I would think this would give Windows game developers a relatively inexpensive way to tap into the Mac game market, albeit with just new MacIntel customers. That said, the new machines are selling VERY well, and Mac users are a very loyal bunch who tend to spend more on their hardware and keep up better then the average Windows user.

If I can be of any assistance, please contact me back channel. I've been developing on the Mac since it came in on 1984. (Yeah, I'm that old).

Cheers!
Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.