Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

FSOne and Heli's

Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
harryw13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FSOne and Heli's

Has anyone with some helicopter experience, tried FSOne. I'd really like to know how realistic it is, in regards to helicopters.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
FUBAR03

Default RE: FSOne and Heli's

Ive really been wondering this myself. I took the jump and bought FSOne without really finding an answer to that, just based on how good people say the physics are for the planes. Ive been tracking my order and it should be here tonight. Ill try and post Friday night (im in college and crazy busy right now) how they feel compared to the real ones ive flown, and compared to G3 because thats what i taught myself how to fly helis on.

You should really know my somewhat limited background with helis though, before reading what i have to say about the ones in FSOne. Ive been flying them for less than a year. The only one i currently own is the Align Trex. Even though ive only been flying a year, i can fly pretty well. Nose in is no problem, i like to do flips (stationary and FF), rolls, stall turns, knife edge piro's, etc. I just started hovering upside down, and im getting comfortable with that. Thats about the extent of what i do in real life. In G3 im doing inverted flight, backwards flight, funnels, tic tocs, etc., no piro flips yet... none that didnt end in my pushing the little red button anyway. I just don't have the brass to do all of that w/ my Trex yet. The other helis ive flown include the Hirobo XRB, Honey Bee CP2, and the Blade CP.

I guess what im getting at is ive only flown small electric helis, and so i wont really know how true to life the IC ones in FSone are. I will be able to compare them to those in G3 though. And i should also be able to give an accurate idea about how the Blade CP and CX fly in FSone.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but i just feel like sometimes i would like to know exactly who the "review" is comming from, so i know how much credit to deligate it. Hope this helps, and hopefully ill post again in a few days with good results.

Shane
Old 10-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Raylon

I just got the chance to fly FSOne at my local LHS, and I flew the CP a little. It seemed very realistic. It wanted to go all over the place like the real one would. But the view in FSOne in my opinion just plain sucked. It would be like auto zoom mode in G3. When the Heli or whatever goes up, you can't see the ground. The Keep Ground in View Mode in G3 as so much better. I didn't get the chance to play with the views a lot or anything for that matter. The controller sucked to me. The control rods were stiff and difficult to move. Not like G3's fluent controller. But the Simulation experience was good for the CP. I also flew the CX a little. Very realistic until I tried a backflip....and I did one. I don't think that is possible at all in real life. I'm not going to try lets say that. I think the self leveling characteristics are too strong for it to be able to flip and do barrel roles.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
HK182

Just hit F2 to keep the horizon in view like in G3, FSOne calls it "shifted view" or something like that. I fly a Blade CP Pro and also have FS One. The Blade CP in the sim is pretty realistic, the tail wants to wander a bit just like mine, and it moves around has much in hover has mine does (keep in mind I'm not the best heli pilot). The sim does seem to be just a tad more stable though, but that could just be me. This is the first sim I have flown where I'm not any better than I am in real life. Its a great program to me, I held off on buying a sim for a long time trying to figure out which one to get, and I'm very happy with the choice I made.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:20 AM
new-heli-pilot

I just bought FSOne to train for my Blade CP I just bought also. Personally I do not like this sim. Its too easy to recover from things. For example, a series of very fast pirhouettes, and as soon as i let go of the stick the helicopter holds its heading. I know my Blade CP doesnt do this, but maybe thats just it. Also on the simulator the Cp is taking off at under half stick for me, again maybe its just my heli but I have never saw it do that. This next is nothing real big, but the higher I move the throttle stick, the slower the engine sounds, this is just annoying for me but no big deal. Also I cant even get the Blade CP off the ground on here. Maybe a lot of this is just the settings on my JR Xp6102 TX that I am using. Either way I like the G3 Demo my lhs has set up much better.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:02 PM
FSOneDev

ORIGINAL: new-heli-pilot

I just bought FSOne to train for my Blade CP I just bought also. Personally I do not like this sim. Its too easy to recover from things. For example, a series of very fast pirhouettes, and as soon as i let go of the stick the helicopter holds its heading. I know my Blade CP doesnt do this, but maybe thats just it. Also on the simulator the Cp is taking off at under half stick for me, again maybe its just my heli but I have never saw it do that. This next is nothing real big, but the higher I move the throttle stick, the slower the engine sounds, this is just annoying for me but no big deal. Also I cant even get the Blade CP off the ground on here. Maybe a lot of this is just the settings on my JR Xp6102 TX that I am using. Either way I like the G3 Demo my lhs has set up much better.
It sounds like you may need to recalibrate. Also, be sure you're using the 1.0.3 patch. Helis are very susceptible to controls issues (due to the fine control it takes to fly a heli well). We've seen some users complain about heli problems but after they do a patch update and recalibrate, things work well and they are happy. If you haven't patched and recalibrated, you might want to do so and then give it another try to see what you think.

Similar to fixed wing aircraft, you can edit performance of the helis. You might also want to change gyro settings for the CP, or radio settings (expos and such) based on your preferences and observations. After doing so, you may get it to fly the way you prefer.

Also, views can have a big effect on how a heli appears to fly. Try using the F1 and F2 keys to change your views. You can also change your default views for these keys by going to Options->General (Primary and Secondary Views).
Old 11-05-2006, 12:39 AM
RonHill
My Feedback: (1)

FSone IMO is not good for heli's

The switches are in the wrong places for all radios but Airtronics. Throttle hold on FSone is on the left and it is on the right on all other radios. V curves is on the rigt on FSone and on all radios but Airtronics it is on the left.

That alone makes FSO a bad choice IMO since you will be training yourself to hit throttle hold on the left side and that will put your real world machine into V2.

Also the flight physics were....Game like, not real at all. I did like the stock curve setup in FSone. But it seemed like the models do not show momentum at all. Hit up and the heli jumps faster than it should it real life.

I am sure they will make it better, but I am not willing to be a paying tester.

That being said, try it yourself....I would not buy one and am glad I have G3. I was waiting for FSone to come out before I upgraded to G3 from G2 to maybe get FSone....I got G3.