Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real Flight G3.5 Customized For Beginners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real Flight G3.5 Customized For Beginners

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:05 AM
windcheater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Flight G3.5 Customized For Beginners

FYI all. Here's a terrific Real Flight G3.5 customization that makes this simulator unbeatable for beginners. Edit the standard Nexstar, increasing both Graphical Scale and Physical Scale to 200% (Will need to do Options --> Display Advanced Properties in order to get the opportunity to edit these two parameters.) This customization is flawed in G3, giving inexplicable crash events in unobstructed airspace when no maneuver is providing stress. But, in G3.5 this customization works flawlessly. Since the airframe size increase is not matched by a power increase the oversized Nexstar is a 'puff flier', with flight characteristics probably much like a Senior Telemaster powered by a .46 (I can only surmise). Visibility is much improved (this customization produces >10ft wingspan), response to stick movement is soft/predictable and the aircraft flies in a very broad power range without getting speedy. This is just the ticket for giving rank beginners a confidence building experience, including successful landings. Because of G3.5, and our giant Nexstar, my six year old son and I are under way as sim fliers, and able to anticipate a successful maiden flight of our real trainer. We'll incrementally reduce our custom Nexstar back down to standard size (which increases relative power/speed) as we advance, though this will cause an unfortunate reduction in visibility. (Knife Edge should promote the 200% Nexstar, and throw me a bone, eh!)
Old 12-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Real Flight G3.5 Customized For Beginners

Interesting idea and I'm going to pass it on to my brother for his kids, but may I suggest you get someone qualified to help you with your initial flights?

I used a sim for quite a bit before going out for my first actual flying with the Nexstar and it really helped as I was not on the buddy box for long. But I WILL guarantee you that flying the model IS different, if for no other reason than the fact that you have the "pucker" factor with the model that is not felt with the sim... [8D]

Then there is always the need to verify the setup of the model i.e. CG, linkages, control surface travels and initial engine tuning for your location. It's also up to you, but the guy who taught me got rid of all the nylon clevis's on my Nexstar as they can be a failure point.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 12-23-2006, 04:50 PM
windcheater

Zeeb, Thanks for giving me the 'heads up' to expect that the flying the real trainer will be different. My simulator post did sound a little cavalier, giving the impression that I would be going straight from the sim to solo. Actually, I've had contact with club members here and will be getting just the kind of shepherding thru solo that you've suggested. As seems to be the case across the country, the people in this hobby are incredible. We'd be foolish not to get their help/tutelage.

I'm curious to know if yourself, or another reader, considers the G3.5 NexSTAR to be an accurate rendering of the airplane with the factory software settings. I intend to get proficient with it, regardless, but I do think it's a little hotter than the actual. I can only compare it to flight videos I've seen at RCU and MASportAviator.

Since my original post I've found that a NexSTAR upsized to 150% works well also, and provides a good 'next level' challenge after the 200% NexSTAR. I find that the 150% NexSTAR will slap you on the wrist by dropping the stabilizer in a crash event when landed on grass with any speed at all. That's actually a good thing since 'next level' skills should include hitting the runway.

I've found that a 125% NexSTAR doesn't work, at least when configured with an increase in both Graphical and Physcal scale. That set up creates an under-responsive elevator. I've also found that the G3.5 PT-40 doesn't upsize well to any custom scale. My attempts at that only caused an unworkable exaggeration of the PT-40's 'ultralift' wing. Have a couple of add-ons not yet installed and will be on the lookout for .60 sized trainer.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:11 PM
CanCanCase

If you dig around over at the Knife Edge forums, there are some good configuration settings for the flying field that might help out too. Things like a light breeze, turbulence, ground and rolling friction, etc... This was the biggest thing I learned in making the transition from sim to IRL... the variables are TOO controlled in the sim. Nothing like trying to solo on a day when a 15 knot gust blows you crosswise on final approach!

The NexStar flew exactly like my real bird in G3, then I had to do a bunch of modifications to the flight model when G3.5 came out. Now that 3.5 is patched, it's back to flying very close to the real thing.

I'd say tweak the flying field to add some realism, then get that friendly club instructor to run you through everything a few times at the field. Remember, no matter how realistic the sim, no computer can teach you the importance of frequency pins or how to not chop your fingers off starting the engine! ;-)

-Case
Old 12-24-2006, 09:08 AM
cfossa
My Feedback: (5)

I too think the G3.5 Nexstar is very close to the real thing. Are you planning to use the AFS system?

Carl
Old 12-24-2006, 11:10 AM
Zeeb

windcheater,

I've not tried the 3.5 Nexstar. I started with the included software and very shortly went to the 3.0 RealFlight program. I'd say the sim is really very good at mimicking the model, but I've not tried the Nexstar since I upgraded to the 3.5 sim software.

CanCan has some good points for you to consider as I'd not tried dealing with a crosswind on the sim. I'm a full scale pilot so I figured I knew how to deal with crosswinds, HOWEVER....

The listed control deflections for the Nexstar model are designed to provide you a good initial flying experience and thus don't offer much in the way of unusual attitude corrections, or say cross controlling it for a crosswind landing. The Nexstar is pretty susceptible to problems there due to the amount of dihedral in the wings.

After I wrecked mine on a crosswind takeoff due to a weather vane into a curb (we were flying on a piece of closed road where a lot of locals fly, but it has curbs on each side). I went to a better radio and installed the optional independent aileron servos and functional flaps. I also programmed dual rates into the control surfaces with the low rates being those listed and the high rates being about all the deflection the control surfaces were capable of, or about twice the listed rates. This is especially important if you cut the ailerons and turn that inner 10 inches into functional flaps. The manual doesn't address it, but it HAS to have more aileron deflection when you do that in order for them to function effectively.

With the speed brakes and drooped leading edges removed, the control deflections cranked up and running some higher nitro content fuel, the Nexstar took me up through basic aerobatics...

Oh, one other thing; Carl asked about using the AFS. The guy who taught me and is the one who installed the Sullivan metal clevis's instead of the nylon ones on the control surfaces, looked at that and promptly unplugged it after I'd gone to the trouble of setting it up. He said they caused more problems than they fixed especially since we had some snow on the ground when I started flying. You probably won't have that problem in Texas, but he said they can be confused by clouds as well and even if they do work properly, can give you a false sense of security.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:25 AM
windcheater

Good stuff, all. CanCanCase, I hear you with regard to adding in variables, particularly regarding the wind. We've got plenty of that in Lubbock. I'll soon be adding those variables into my G3.5 challenge. For the real deal, in spite of my alias, I'll be doing my level best not to put myself in situations where I need to cheat the wind, at least for a while. I hope to solo on the best day possible, and thereafter restrict my flying to the lowest windage possible, even if it means getting flight time into the first couple hours of daylight. I'm willing to phase myself into the Windcheater moniker.

Zeeb, I'm feeling bad that that you took the time to go into some detail on the NexSTAR setup. Though I'm training with a NexSTAR in G3.5 it isn't the plane I'm building. I'm building a Midwest Aerobat, which is very similar to a Hangar-9 Arrow. I sought out and found an Aerobat even thought they've been out of production for a couple of years. It was the only high-wing I could find that's factory ready for 5 servos (2 aileron). With separate aileron servos I thought that I could spend early flight time with a flaperons setup to slow things down. I will experiment with that, to my tolerance of risk, but have been told by a friend in the club here that flaperons isn't as clean as separate flaps and that I probably wouldn't want to give away control surface travel to a flaperon setting. The upshot is that I'll be training on a plane that has a broad flight envelope, with good slow flight characteristic, as well as meaningful aeroabatic capability, and the only thing I know to do to stay on the slow flight side is to govern the throttle. As you can imagine, the simulator is pretty important to my success. If my son and I (who will buddy box fly as his skills permit) advance from solo to intermediate flyers without crashing the Aerobat, RF G3.5 will be a key ingredient.

If my Aerobat glides with speed of the NexSTAR I'm going to be real thankful we've got former Reese AFB for a venue here (5000 ft runway). I'm having a tough time bleeding airspeed off of the G3.5 NexSTAR before touching down. Am cutting the engine way out, even in the turn to final approach, and still find my runout to exceed many of the G3.5 photo runways. I have to admit that most of my landings are pretty bouncy right now, and that's keeping air under the wings.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Zeeb

windcheater,

No problem, I just thought you had the Nexstar, maybe someone else will find it useful...

On slowing down, practice slow flight up high and you might be surprised how slow it will fly before you lose it, and that will help on your landings. I've seen all sorts of guy's landing techniques and while some are quite good at it, most seem to be arrivals vs. landings.

I do landings the same way full scale stuff is done, that is I fly a pattern. I fly down the runway in the direction I intend to land and try to make it the same altitude every landing. As the model passes me, I turn crosswind and go away from me again trying to duplicate the distance each time. Then downwind to a little ways beyond the end of the runway, turn base leg and then final. Each model will vary a little bit in how much power you'll need if any, and the distances. The key is to try and make it the same approach each time then you don't have so much variation in altitude with each landing. It also works better for establishing any needed crosswind corrections.

Another caveat is that you remember on the final landing approach (this is always true but more important while landing), throttle controls altitude and elevator controls pitch or more specifically in this case, the speed of the model. Try to establish your glide speed and either increase or decrease the the decent rate with the throttle rather than using the elevator since that will change the speed.

And most important, HAVE FUN!