Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Real flight G3 VS G2

Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Real flight G3 VS G2

Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
frank1947

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real flight G3 VS G2

Anyone out there to help ar am I going nuts ???? I just purchased a GP Real Flight G3 thinking now I have the "real thing in flight simulators" Installed the thing, registered etc etc etc. To my dismay I found that the G3 is not as good or as realistic as the older G2 !!!! Regretfully I sold my older G2 and cannot get it back. Can anyone advise having the same problem or maybe I am somehow doing something wrong ????????
Old 01-29-2007, 01:36 PM
CanCanCase

Default RE: Real flight G3 VS G2

"as good as" and "as realistic as" are VERY subjective terms. What makes it not as good? Are you getting slow frame rates causing it to be jittery? Are the photofields blurry? Are you running G3 on the same computer you used to run G2? G3 is a resource hog, so a computer that ran G2 may not be sufficient to run G3...

It's a bit too late for hindsight, but there's a G3.5 demo you can download to see how good or bad (in your own opinion) it will be on your computer.

I would start with some specifics about what the problems you're having look like. Then post some specs about the machine you're running it on. Someone can probably help a bit from there.

-Case
Old 01-30-2007, 04:30 AM
frank1947

You are absolutely right about subjectivity, however here are some of the problems I did not encounter on the G2,

1- Landings are unrealistic, ie it looks as if the model is landing on a layer of air above the runway.
2- Rough landings that would have been a crash situation on the G2 are perfectly acceptable on the G3.
3- The automatic zoom is nowhere as good on the G3 just to name a few.
The computer has the latest 526 video card and plenty of memory. Thanks for the input anyway.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just an observation after playing on a G3 demo in a hobby shop. I wasn't impressed with the stock G3 set up when compared to my G2 at home. Then I realized most of the planes on my G2 were modified by me or others who knew what they were doing in order to get a certain model to fly right. Makes me wonder if G3 is actually worth the $200 as an "upgrade".
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 AM
frank1947

Not as far as I am concerned !!!! Wish I could get my G2 back.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:48 AM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Do you have a shadow under your plane? If not it can make the landing look odd. If you dont have a shadow under your plane you porbably need to upgrade your system to start enabaling some of that stuff.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
CanCanCase

ORIGINAL: FoeFoe

You are absolutely right about subjectivity, however here are some of the problems I did not encounter on the G2,

1- Landings are unrealistic, ie it looks as if the model is landing on a layer of air above the runway.
2- Rough landings that would have been a crash situation on the G2 are perfectly acceptable on the G3.
3- The automatic zoom is nowhere as good on the G3 just to name a few.
The computer has the latest 526 video card and plenty of memory. Thanks for the input anyway.
Okay, one at a time...
1) This sounds like a shadow issue. Is there a shadow there? If not, does your video card support shadows? Is it DX9(c) compliant? Do you have the latest drivers properly installed? What field(s) and which models do you experience this with?
2) I don't see this at all. There was a huge thread a while back over at the KE forums about the landing gear on the Pitts Python breaking off TOO easily. That resulted in a whole discussion about the correct way to land a bipe with power on, etc... I spend countless hours practicing soft landings instead of mere "arrivals". Again, what field(s) and what models specifically have this problem? I'm not saying G2 was wrong here, but it could be that things were overly weak in G2 and have been "fixed" in G3.5....?
3) Again, "nowhere as good" is subjective. Personally, I don't fly the Autozoom to know the difference. I DO know that you can tweak the autozoom's parameters quite a bit... camera lag, distance to maintain, etc... perhaps the stock configuration is just set for someone else's preferred style?

By "526 video card" do you mean a 256MB video card or a 512MB video card? Hypermemory, shared memory, or dedicated VRAM? What about CPU type and speed? There you go again with the subjective terms... what is "plenty"? "Plenty" for Win98 and G2 is about a million times different than "plenty" for WinXP and G3.5...

I'm also curious as to which version of G3 you're running. They've been doing a LOT of patching and updating lately. As of a few days ago, the most current version was 3.5.044, which seems quite good to me, but then that's a subjective term also! ;-)

Not that I'm defending GreatPlanes or RealFlight on the G2 --> G3 "upgrade" they did... Personally if they wanted to "upgrade" G2 users to G3 it should have been for much less than $150 or $200 !!! But, remember that this is a totally different piece of software, re-written from the ground up. I don't see too many free upgrades for Windows Vista being offered to Win2000 users.

Also note that the "tone" of this post should be interpreted as helpful and a bit playful. I realized after re-reading that it MAY sound a bit blunt and direct, but I'm really just trying to get to the root of the problem(s) and help someone...

-Case
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM
ArmedZagi
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: CanCanCase

Also note that the "tone" of this post should be interpreted as helpful and a bit playful. I realized after re-reading that it MAY sound a bit blunt and direct, but I'm really just trying to get to the root of the problem(s) and help someone...

I thought disclaimers were only for tv commercials?
Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Capncrash

I personally won't go near a "Real Flight" product again.
I purchased the original "Real Flight" way back when it first came out and was running it on Windows 95.
Updated my system to Windows 98 and soon thereafter purchased the "Real Flight G2 Update".
Took a while to update the control panel and iron out all the wrinkels, but everything worked ok.
Then updated my system to Windows XP. OOPS! Everything worked ok until I had a hard drive failure.
I now had to do a new install on the XP platform. The system would not find the controller. I was told by Knife Edge tech support to run the update prior to running the program. The update won't work because "someone already has my serial # and password"!
Yep, that someone is me! I have been trying to get This sortware reinstalled since December 22, 2006. Emails and telephone calls have proven to be useless. I was told that "I had supplied them with enough information for them to reset my password and that would fix the problem." NOPE! I have now become so frustrated that I have totally given up on Real Flight. I know that software piracy is a problem, but making it impossible for the legal owner to use the software is ludicrous!

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on Hanger 9's FS One flight sim?

Al
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
CanCanCase

wow... sounds like a bad customer service experience. Who are you calling for support? (eMail support has not been recommended lately.) I'd see if I could get ahold of Knife Edge directly... or at least give their user forums a try. Quite a few helpful folks over there.

On to the question of FSOne... it's got a pretty interface, and the music is nice until the loop repeats a few thousand times or is turned off! I find the photo fields a bit buggy. I can fly through all sorts of trees, etc. The physics are also a bit "notchy" if you do much flying at the edge of stall condition (high-alpha)... you're either accellerating, flying, or falling out of the sky... there's no middle ground, at least as far as my flying style.

As for customer service on the product, yes... I've had experience there too. It took over 3 weeks before I could even fly FS One since they're not too friendly to Futaba transmitters. There's no user manual or quick-start guide available (yet), so I was constantly pointed to the FAQ on their website... but there wasn't any info related to my problem there. Phone, eMail and forum support all directed me to the useless FAQ... The problem was finally resolved by MSelig who had been absent from the forums for a while. He had the solution pinned down in 1 post.... why regular support couldn't get there is beyond me! Of humorous note: the one potentially viable solution that someone else came up with was to use the INTERLINK from G3 to control FSOne... worked like a charm!

Funny how different products are right for different people, eh?

-Case

ORIGINAL: Capncrash

I purchased the original "Real Flight" way back when it first came out and was running it on Windows 95.
Updated my system to Windows 98 and soon thereafter purchased the "Real Flight G2 Update".
Took a while to update the control panel and iron out all the wrinkels, but everything worked ok.
Then updated my system to Windows XP. OOPS! Everything worked ok until I had a hard drive failure.
I now had to do a new install on the XP platform. The system would not find the controller. I was told by Knife Edge tech support to run the update prior to running the program. The update won't work because "someone already has my serial # and password"!
Yep, that someone is me! I have been trying to get This sortware reinstalled since December 22, 2006. Emails and telephone calls have proven to be useless. I was told that "I had supplied them with enough information for them to reset my password and that would fix the problem." NOPE! I have now become so frustrated that I have totally given up on Real Flight. I know that software piracy is a problem, but making it impossible for the legal owner to use the software is ludicrous!

Al
Old 02-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Capncrash

Hi Case,
Thanks for the reply.
I guess in reality I was just venting due to the built-up frustration. My post was highly summarized.
I had been in contact with knife edge techs on multiple occations via the telephone, as well as checking for fixes on their recommended site. I do miss the use of the flight sim, its pretty cold up here in the northeast, and the flight sim allowed some enjoyable stick time and helped keep the ole thumbs nimble. I am going to have to bite the bullet and replace my computer in the near future, and I guess I will just a while and read the reviews of the various other flight sims out there. FS One was recomended by a couple of fellow local club members.

Regards Al
Old 02-06-2007, 04:37 AM
frank1947

Hi Case, Seems I have stirred up a pot of worms ! Firstly much appreciate all your input, being new to all of this "just retired and back into the hobby after an absense of 30 years " I am amazed and bewildered at where the hobby has gone. I will be coming back to all your points as soon as I find them out one at a time meanwhile perhaps you can help me with this problem, Can you advise me on why I cannot connect my JR transmitter XP9303 a/s to my Real flight G3.5 o44 using the supplied connector cable? The catalogue says most JR radios, does that exclude the 9303 ? or do I have to put the transmitter in a special mode ? On plugging the jask into the back of the TR it comes on automatically but the controls are all still with the Interlink controller. Thanks for your help..
Old 02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
frank1947

Hey Case, Problem solved thanks anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:02 PM
CanCanCase

Man, you work fast! Must be well motivated!

I'm not a JR guy... Futaba all my life (since the ugly brown boxes in the 80's)...
Standard reply for ANY Tx not working with the interface in RFG3.5 is be sure the cable is the right direction - "short" end in your Tx, "long" end in the Interlink.
Then be sure the radio is in PPM (FM) mode, not PCM, fire it all up, and FLY!

Happy Flying!

-Case

Hey Case, Problem solved thanks anyway.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
jmv

ORIGINAL: Capncrash

Al
I had a very similar problem with G2 Lite and XP. Would recognize the controller for about a minute then crash in flight and not recognize it anymore. Contacted technical support, tried the support forum's advice (check there, there are many support/config/controller issues with RF G2 and XP) and nothing helped. Basically lost out on 200 bucks. I realize that this is G2 and XP support is presumably better with 3.5, but I'm not willing to take the chance. I understand they need to protect their intellectual property (with their controller doggle) but it does make it risky when you have compatibility problems and basically no return option.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:32 PM
stinger40

I have G2 and I only have one model that will Harrier. I don't have a problem with landing or anything, but I just want a plane that will Harrier right. []
Old 03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
artistic-aero

I had loads of issues with my RF 3.5, I bought the thing for the 'training mode' so I could try my hand at Helis. However... I'm mode 1 and despite all the documentation telling me this was not a problem, on the supplied controller you bet it is! The training mode only works in mode 2! So my sticks are crossed. And is it me or is the MP3 playback function gone?