Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Which simulator do you prefer among the best six?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Which simulator do you prefer among the best six?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 AM
cray54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which simulator do you prefer among the best six?

I did some fairly extensive research about 2 years ago and ended up choosing Reflex XTR. I have not had the time to work with it for about a year and have been searching the forums to find out if an upgrade to a different program is in order. I only saw a couple of replys about Reflex in this thread, one that stated “Reflex is just uselessâ€.

Is Reflex actually that bad compared to the other flight sims available today? It has always seemed quite good to me but I’ve had minimal sim experience to compare it to. Is it worth it to sell and buy a different one? I have not yet found a good resource for comparing the different programs. I use it for both helis and airplanes.

Thanks, Chris
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 PM
jaysrc

I'm loving the shareware $30 Clearview as my only RC simulator experience. I'm learning using an Xbox controller with a $12 USB converter cable and the XBCD drivers from http://www.llamma.com.

It's a rush flying on a 42" LCD screen ... tell you what.

I would be interested to find out if others are using this setup and how realistic it is.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

AFPD
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
HeloHurtz

Quite suprised to see so many AFPD out there!

Then I saw that perhaps it's NOT the best for Heli's so, because Heli's didn't seem to be a focal point for the original question, which is the TOP DOG in the Heli dept?

RealFlight?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
bilboa

I'd say Phoenix RC is the best for helis currently, followed by Reflex XTR.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 AM
piroflip2

yes,,,,,I have to admit that although I think AFPD is top dog for F/W, (Ive tried them all) it is poor on helis.
the supplied Raptor is woefull and nothing remotely like the real thing.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
PlaneHeli

The best Ive used by a mile was Reflex XTR. Admittadly this was a while ago and I have not flown the updated versions of the others. Whether significant upgrades have been made im not sure.
The sims I have tried are Reflex XTR, AFPD, G3, Clearview.

The helis in Reflex XTR were BY FAR more realistic than the others.

I also thought the Fixed wing were much better too, also the graphics.

Fact is Reflex XTR is developed in Germany. This is a USA site so I would expect (but not guarantee) that there are more USA developed Sims used by members of this form, then possibly UK sims flown in the USA.

Ill be watching this thread closely though as Im looking to upgrade. But without trying them all I was still leaning towards Reflex.

We need someone that has flown them all in there UPDATED versions.

There was a good site online with reviews of them all, but its out of date now since theyve all had updates to the sims.
About time for another review of all the major sims in their latest versions.

Sorry not by me, I dont want to pay $1000+ to try them. It would require someone with access to them all.

The updates for Reflex are limited but free. G3 has 5 add ons, plus 2 expansion packs. At $30 each that equates to $410 USD for the sim and all the updates. Compared to Reflex XTR $200 with updates.

Just a thought.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
rjovale

ORIGINAL: TWRC
Scriptt, If you would like to PM me with your email address I'll send you my Hype's modified TMD file. Backup the original and replace it with mine if you wish. I don't have the stock 40% Extra 300s in my inventory of aerofly models anymore. I removed all the models I don't fly. There are so many good flying downloads plus the models I make for myself that I had to make room for more:-)
Scriptt, have you tried to fly with TWRC settings?
Old 03-23-2007, 10:59 PM
hookedonheli

FS-ONE, nothing comes close!
Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 AM
rjovale

ORIGINAL: hookedonheli

FS-ONE, nothing comes close!
Can you please motivate your position? Otherwise it is not very useful...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Durachko
My Feedback: (3)

I've been looking to buy a sim for over a year and am just now ready. I found this topic and thought "Whoa! This will end my search." Boy was I wrong.

I've been fluctuating between AFPD and G3 but am mostly - I guess - concerned with sharpening my heli skills - so now Reflex and Phoenix have got me thinking . . .

So, has there not been any highly rated pilot(s) who've used and rated all or most of these top six???

I mean, one can go online and find reviews for just about anything under the sun so surely there's been some "top gun" flyers who've ventured to try a number of sims???
Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
sjc115
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Durachko

I've been looking to buy a sim for over a year and am just now ready. I found this topic and thought "Whoa! This will end my search." Boy was I wrong.

I've been fluctuating between AFPD and G3 but am mostly - I guess - concerned with sharpening my heli skills - so now Reflex and Phoenix have got me thinking . . .

So, has there not been any highly rated pilot(s) who've used and rated all or most of these top six???

I mean, one can go online and find reviews for just about anything under the sun so surely there's been some "top gun" flyers who've ventured to try a number of sims???
I am certainly not the "top gun" pilot you are looking for, but I may be able to help a little since I just went through what you are going through.

Based on everything I have read, which is a lot, it seems that you can't go wrong with AFPD, G3.5, Pheonix, or FSOne for fixed wing aircraft. RTX is slightly less useful (for fixed wing), but still pretty good. For heli's, the consensus seems to be RTX or Pheonix for the most realism.

What I gathered from all the reading I did was that they are all pretty close. All of them require you to 'massage' the models a little for truly realistic performance, but they all preform good right out of the box. I have read posts from 'experienced pilots' that said such and such airplane is spot on in (insert sim name here). But again, the consensus seems to be with a little tweak here or there you can have realistic performance in any of the above simulators.

I chose FSOne because the fixed wing aircraft physics seemed to get the best 'out of the box' remarks (compared with G3.5 and AFPD), my favorite local hobby shop carried it in stock, I like Hanger 9 products, the developer has been very active on this and other boards answering questions, and it came with a nice controller (I don't have a decent computer type transmitter, yet).

If I would have had a good transmitter, or was willing to buy one right now, I would have picked Phoenix. It seems to be the consensus pick for the best of both worlds (fixed and rotary wing). If you want variety, consider AFPD or G3.5. They have been around the longest and seem to have to most users/add-ons available (although FSOne and Phoenix are sure to have lots more available in the near future, I'm sure).

Remember, everything above is just my opinion based on what I read... and what I read was just a bunch of opinions. I truly think you can't go wrong with any of the above.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 AM
DEFORCER

RealFlight G3.5 is my suggestion, just dont drop the transmitter or anything or it will probably have something break inside which i just found out for myself.[]
Old 05-19-2007, 01:39 PM
LangerLad
My Feedback: (2)

Reflex XTR 100%
AFPD 90%
Old 05-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Big feet

Rjovale,
This is all very interesting. I have only flown with AFPD and G3.5. Both are great, both allow you to edit the models to change the feel in the air. My mate used AFPD to test the CG positions on his turbine powered Hawk and F5, and the real world did in fact follow the results given by the sim.
I like features of both sims, in AFPD the 'fly over your head' graphics are well done compaired to G3.5, this is a bit odd in G3.5, BUT, I love the Virtual Instructor feature in G3.5. There are lessons in how to fly both basic and advanced manoeuvres for both fixed wing and Heli.
I have over 17 years with planes but only a year on helis. As you are only interested in planes I would find it difficualt to suggest one over the other. The controller that comes with G3.5 is much better than the one with AFPD, but you can save yourself some money and just get the lead to use with your own transmitter.
My mate mentioned above (hawk and F5) got AFPD last November. His 8 year old son has used it a lot since then. He had never flown a model in real life before. He soloed after 4 real world flights.
Bottom line, sims are good.

Enjoy whichever you decide on.